Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Owasso, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Sang
Member #

Somehow I neglected to take a photo of the front of the truck right after I installed the ADD Front Bumper. I did not like the way the stock grill looked with the bumper, so I ordered one of the Raptor Style grills off ebay and modified it to house the front facing camera from the stock grill....

Had to remove just the center portion and using a dremmel tool, took my time and a little at a time created a seat for the stock mount. I did have to cut off part of the stock mount as well. I then used Plastic Weld to attach it and sanded everything flush.

IMG_4452.jpeg
IMG_4453.jpeg
IMG_4455.jpeg
IMG_4456.jpegIMG_4457.jpegIMG_4458.jpegIMG_4472.jpeg
IMG_4470.jpeg

Reactions: JCWages

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Truck looks great! I keep searching for f150 builds for ideas for my 2019, so love seeing this.

wbslngr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Owasso, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Sang
Member #

UPDATE: So we sold my wife's SUV and bought her a Tesla Model 3. It's an amazing vehicle, I can't say enough good things about it. That isn't the point of the update, but I shared because her SUV was our road trip mobile. We did a short trip from Oklahoma to California in the Model 3 and it was packed like a can of sardines with just us and some clothes. So, her car is out for long road trips, simply not big enough. Usually we like to bring food, cooler, and camp along the way anyway, so taking my truck will work out great save the extra miles and wear on the off-road tires.

So what changed? Well, my trajectory with the tonneau and custom rack has been aborted due to needing more dry storage and re-locating the fridge from the cab to the bed. Therefore, I am now the proud owner of an RSI Evo canopy. Didn't really want to spend that kind of money, and I had initially dogged the idea because I just don't like the look of fiberglass caps. However, I have to say, this thing is very well engineered and it looks absolutely fantastic on the F-150. I honestly feel like it's worth the asking price... this thing should last forever.

Attachments

wbslngr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Owasso, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Sang
Member #

So I already sold the CVT Mt. Ranier and I have the custom rack and bed cover up locally for sale if anyone in the area is interested. Since my last update I've put removable mount plates on both sides and added rivnuts for Rotopax mounts to perfectly tuck two 2 Gallon containers on each side. I also have the bed liner material to finish it. I was in the process of making some scene light mounts when I changed course. Asking $1300 for rack and bed cover (bed cover cost $900 new). Here are some additional photos from what I already posted.

Attachments

wbslngr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Owasso, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Sang
Member #

Currently I'm working on running some wire connecting the cab to the bed for my portable solar solution. What I wanted to avoid was permanently adding extra batteries, charge controller and inverter on the truck. Instead I wanted something that could easily be removed for use at home, or in other current or future vehicles and would charge phones, cameras, power camp lights, and most importantly run a fridge for a long trip.

I first looked into building my own portable system, but by the time you get everything you need, you end up cost wise just shy of what you can buy an all-in-one system. I finally decided on the MAXOAK Bluetti 2400wh unit. With the $100 coupon and some other discount at checkout I got with a YouTube link, I was able to get it for $1732 from Amazon. I've had it for a while now and I've run it through many tests.

IMG_4962.jpeg

I have a Dometic CFX3 75 to power that I will strap down to one side under the canopy (it fits perfectly and even with the Decked system, the lids open and you can access everything in it from the side window.) I just wrapped up a test plugging in the Dometic to the fully charged Bluetti and setting one side of the CFX3 75 to -4 degrees and the other side to 37 degrees. It ran it for 54 hours and 13 minutes before shutting off. The fridge was empty, in a 75 degree room with no insulated cover. If it had a cover and was packed full, I'm sure it would go for quite a bit longer as the compressor would not run as often. And, if you are just cooling at 37 degrees on both sides, that would make a difference as well. Anyhow, not counting for inefficiencies, that means the fridge was drawing an average of around 44 watts.

44 watts of draw is not that bad considering... and it's great because, while driving, I can plug the fridge into the Bluetti and also simultaneously charge the Bluetti plugged into a 12v inverter and that will cover the fridge plus have a net positive of 120 watt hours going back into the battery for every hour of driving. On sunny days while parked, I can deploy solar panels and charge about the same rate on average if I run two 100 watt panels in series. Long story short, with a simple removable system, one could probably stay off-grid indefinitely just charging phones, cameras, and powering the fridge, plus maybe run some camp lights for a bit.

IMG_4963.jpeg

The Bluetti fits perfectly under the rear seats so I am going to fashion a strap to strap it in place and plug it into a key switched 300w pure sine wave inverter (I don't trust the factory inverter). I am in the process right now of running an Anderson connecter from the under seat storage panel to the left tailgate "ammo can" of the Decked box.
IMG_4966.jpeg
I've put an additional marine switch, voltage meter, two 12v sockets and two usb sockets there using the "ammo can" as a junction box.
IMG_4968.jpeg
IMG_4967.jpeg
So, all I'll have to do is strap the bluetti down, plug it into the Anderson connector, and plug the charge port into the inverter and I'm ready to roll with on the go charging and be able to power devices from the bed of the truck. The fridge will be plugged in back there all the time of course. Anyhow, if anyone is considering battery power and solar, I can highly recommend the Bluetti.

Peccavi18

Rank III

Advocate I

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Rogus
Your rack was awesome, exactly what I am looking into doing except want to use the stake pockets for attachment. The height was good and the back bar being removable was clutch for fitting in larger loads. Mind sharing tube size and wall thickness? Also was it 6061 or 6063? I'm not a tig welder but I think I can get someone with skills to do it. Especially if I get the cuts ready and help prep stuff.