If there's already a fire, why cook on a stove?

• HTML tutorial

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
The mission drives the gear for me.

Fire cooking is an essential skill that I am teaching my girls however it’s dirty, time consuming, and hard. I enjoy it but time requires other methods. Side note a fun trick to teach your kids, hard boil an egg in a paper cup filled with water placed right in the fire. The cup won’t burn with the water inside. The first time my kids saw this they thought I was a wizard. Lol.

Overlanding or base camping I use a Coleman duel fuel two burner stove that I’ve had for over 25 years with zero maintenance or trouble. It’s a beast and white gas is easy to find and shelf stable. I also have a matching dual mantle lantern that is just a old and just as reliable.

For backpacking I use an MSR EKG EX white gas stove in cold months or a jet boil minimo in warm months.

Propane is convenient but it’s not as reliable as white gas and it can be harder to get especially around holidays. Propane is far more bulky than white gas.

Reactions: Kent R

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

It's easier to regulate heat and cook properly with a stove and not have keep a fire alive and crawl around it. I carry a single burner stove, a 2 burner stove, and a propane grille. I like to cook different things different ways at different times while standing up comfortably at a fold-out table. Being able to make coffee, fry an egg, toast some bread, and grill some sausage all at the same time is really convenient. I could do with nothing but one stove, but so far I haven't needed the space for anything else.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
I’ve done mostly fire cooking while camping and I have copper bottom pots that I use to cook. After a few days of cooking they build up soot. I’m going to be getting a propane stove for ease of use for this year. Cleanup from cooking on fire is more involved than stove cooking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whistlepunk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bend, Oregon, USA
First Name
DAVID
Last Name
LAVINSKI
Member #

I prefer to cook over fire whenever possible - both at home and out camping. I do carry a two burner Coleman stove for those times that fire is not an option; fire restriction, if it is to wet/rainy and i want to cook under the awning, better control and we normally do breakfast on the stove instead of starting up a fire.