Newb1

Rank 0

Contributor I

South
First Name
J
Last Name
D
Hello all, I have a DIY question. I want to build a truck camper and cant decide to use aluminum frame and skin or frp skin, or all composite honeycomb panels w/ frp, how about AL frame and composite panels, maybe do all fiberglass but Ive never glassed before or now I've seen a lot of reinforcing foam (foamie's), very interesting but IDK. Looking to all of you for pros, cons, strengths, weaknesses, cost, weight, repairs, etc etc.. Pls tell me your thoughts. I want an 8' box w/ 6' overhang for mattress, side entry door, no popup, for a flatbed. Like everyone, I want it tough as hell, cheap as shit, light as a feather, easy to build/repair.

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX and bmwguru

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I found some 4" thick blue 3M foam in a construction dumpster. I could barely break a 3 foot x 1 foot section across my knee.

I'd make an extruded Al and wood frame. Epoxy coat the frame. Skin it with aluminum. Mount doors, windows and AC. Make sure it's tough enough, then bond the foam panels in from the inside. So they add structural strength.

Last edited:

Newb1

Rank 0

Contributor I

South
First Name
J
Last Name
D
re; Epoxy coat the frame
Hmmm, good idea. I didnt even think of that option. May add a bit of weight but I bet it'd be waterproof.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I found some 4" thick blue 3M foam in a construction dumpster. I could barely break a 3 foot x 1 foot section across my knee.
I'd make an extruded Al and wood frame. Epoxy coat the frame. Skin it with aluminum. Mount doors, windows and AC. Make sure it's tough enough, then bond the foam panels in from the inside. So they add structural strength.
Even 2" is overkill. I forgot the R value but it's more than most houses have.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CHECK THIS OUT, BUILD WITH FOAM AND FIBERGLASS.

Newb1

Rank 0

Contributor I

South
First Name
J
Last Name
D
re; CHECK THIS OUT, BUILD WITH FOAM AND FIBERGLASS.

Yeah, Ive seen this project and some of the testing he's done with it. That's what made me consider this as well. Harder to hang things from or onto inside but very impressive.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
re; CHECK THIS OUT, BUILD WITH FOAM AND FIBERGLASS.

Yeah, Ive seen this project and some of the testing he's done with it. That's what made me consider this as well. Harder to hang things from or onto inside but very impressive.
You can hang anything if you know how. I have a fiberglass scamp trailer. All you need to hang anything is a backing plate made from almost anything and a little fiberglass which is easy to use. Personally I would have built it from 3/4" marine plywood and insulated the interior and fiber glassed the exterior. Use similar construction methods except for maybe a tear drop shape. @BillyBob has a large but neat trailer you might look at. @Road, @old_man and a couple other have nice home built rigs as well.

Newb1

Rank 0

Contributor I

South
First Name
J
Last Name
D
re; Landlubber @BillyBob has a large but neat trailer you might look at. @Road, @old_man and a couple other have nice home built rigs as well.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry that I have to ask this but, how do I find pics from these ppl you mentioned?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
re; Landlubber @BillyBob has a large but neat trailer you might look at. @Road, @old_man and a couple other have nice home built rigs as well.

Sorry that I have to ask this but, how do I find pics from these ppl you mentioned?
[/QUOTE]
Click on those highlighted names and their profile will show up. At the bottom click on start a conversation, fill in the info and send a message to them asking to see their build site .

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

[/QUOTE]
Also look in the forums for OSB Box for billybobs thread that came out yesterday.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Mine was a real budget build. Mostly using stuff I already had.
I doubt it has anything in common with your goals. It is panels of OSB, glued and screwed to 2x4 and 1x4 framing, trim. And painted/stained for finish.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

You can hang anything if you know how. I have a fiberglass scamp trailer. All you need to hang anything is a backing plate made from almost anything and a little fiberglass which is easy to use. Personally I would have built it from 3/4" marine plywood and insulated the interior and fiber glassed the exterior. Use similar construction methods except for maybe a tear drop shape. @BillyBob has a large but neat trailer you might look at. @Road, @old_man and a couple other have nice home built rigs as well.
I appreciate the mention, and though I'm not sure what gave you the impression, but my trailer is not really a home built-rig. I put it together from various elements from different vendors, yes, and rigged the inside of my van the way I want, but the trailer itself is not home built.

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Click on those highlighted names and their profile will show up. At the bottom click on start a conversation, fill in the info and send a message to them asking to see their build site .
I don't have a build site, just images scattered about, mostly on insta at @roaddude - where you will definitely find out more about the trailer, van, and my wandering the continent.
Sent a reply to your DM, @Newb1 .

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Mine was a real budget build. Mostly using stuff I already had.
I doubt it has anything in common with your goals. It is panels of OSB, glued and screwed to 2x4 and 1x4 framing, trim. And painted/stained for finish.

I don't think you realize just how much people need your kind of build info. A guy could use your ideas here to build a nice 4x8 rig using harbor freight small trailer frame for almost nothing. The best part is that you have shown a way to DIY and save a ton of money over purchasing something from the expo world. I think you hit it out of the ball park my friend

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I don't have a build site, just images scattered about, mostly on insta at @roaddude - where you will definitely find out more about the trailer, van, and my wandering the continent.
Sent you a reply to your DM, @Newb1 .
That's what it's all about Mr. Roaddude ! Get use to being an asset to us dummies.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I appreciate the mention, and though I'm not sure what gave you the impression, but my trailer is not really a home built-rig. I put it together from various elements from different vendors, yes, and rigged the inside of my van the way I want, but the trailer itself is not home built.
No, I realize that but if he builds his own he has your info as a guide for his build. I know if I did a DIY project I would like a guide line on size, space and usability. Did intend to put you on the spot for anything.

Auburn Buck

Rank 0

Contributor I

Auburn
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Watts
I've been used to it for a very long time, Jim
Dipping my toes into this new world, so please dont flame me unless its really necessary - but, can't self builders get some insights from 30'to 40' foot sailboats for the insides and storage in custom-built campers/trailers.

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Dipping my toes into this new world, so please dont flame me unless its really necessary - but, can't self builders get some insights from 30'to 40' foot sailboats for the insides and storage in custom-built campers/trailers.
Living along the Maine coast so long, I've used a ton of traditional boatbuilding ideas for the interior woodwork of vans I've converted for road travel. Mainly the use of a centerline and measuring everything out from there, as the inside of a van is much like a boat in that the walls bow out both vertically and horizontally.

Many of the electrical and plumbing systems used in vans are directly pulled from marine use, too, from 12v pumps, battery isolators, etc. Blue Sea Systems (fuse boxes etc) started as a marine supplier and still bills themselves that way, though their components are used extensively in off-road and long-distance land vehicles.

So yeah, and doesn't have to be a 30-40' boat...most any marine vessel, powered or not, can lend a lot of ideas in cabinetry and clever storage. Most DIY land dudes though, don't have experience in figuring compound curves for best fits, so often waste space in their storage build.

AND - TWO x FOURS HAVE NO PLACE IN VEHICLE INTERIOR BUILDS. That's an extreme waste of space and serious overkill as far as support. Study your kitchen cabinets at home, learn to use plied substrates. You don't need a 2x4 frame.

Last edited: