Stephen
Last Name
Fry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4VYV
Service Branch
Air Force / Army
Looking at the IERCC subscriptions for our longer trips. We will be up in the Canadian Arctic, Alaska, the Rockies this time around. Future will also add desert and Baja Mexico.

Are these plans worth it? I really don’t understand why I would need a plan. Please fill me in on this. Many of the SAR events are covered are they not by the agency doing the evacuation? Also with my “Tricare for Life” which has evacuation IE helo coverages how would a plan benefit me. Would any costs if I had invited not be passed unto tricare no matter where I travel and only be liable for my copay of 20% which would be picked up by my supplemental insurance. Confused here.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Looking at the IERCC subscriptions for our longer trips. We will be up in the Canadian Arctic, Alaska, the Rockies this time around. Future will also add desert and Baja Mexico.

Are these plans worth it? I really don’t understand why I would need a plan. Please fill me in on this. Many of the SAR events are covered are they not by the agency doing the evacuation? Also with my “Tricare for Life” which has evacuation IE helo coverages how would a plan benefit me. Would any costs if I had invited not be passed unto tricare no matter where I travel and only be liable for my copay of 20% which would be picked up by my supplemental insurance. Confused here.
Tricare for Life doesn’t cover SAR extraction. SAR is funded by the county governments and each county has different means of generating revenue to cover expenses. here where I live life flight and the ground ambulances are private companies that contract out to SAR. Neither company accepts Tricare, in-fact they don’t accept any government medical insurance unless the trip is from hospital A to hospital B. And even then it’s iffy.

ScottEtkin

Rank VI
Launch Member

World Traveler I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

At $39 per year for 100k in coverage I think it's a cheap option considering the cost for SAR. If you're in the backcountry and need SAR expect a bill. Just because you and I see overlanding 100s of miles away from anything as, "normal," trust me your insurance company as well as SAR services don't.