drabina

Rank I

Enthusiast I

NJ
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Drabina
This summer, I would like to take two of my teenage sons on a mild off-roading trip that will last about 5 days. I have looked at the Trans New Hampshire Route, Trans NJ Trail and some trails in the Bald Eagle State Park. Any of those sound like a fun adventure but I think ultimately, I would rather find something opposite. By opposite I mean camping for a day or two and getting to some dirt roads from the campsite (vs driving whole day from campsite to campsite). My kids like hiking, fishing and exploring so while an off-road adventure is definitely fun, I rather have spend more time outside of vehicle than inside. I do not mind camping for 2 days, moving, camping for another 2 days, moving, etc. Just don't want to arrive at the campsite at 6pm and need to leave by 8am next morning to finish another leg of the journey on time.

Any recommendations for a trip of this kind? I have a pretty much stock 1st gen Sequoia with just some basic upgrades like Bilstein shocks, Dobinson's springs and 32" AT tires. Not looking for rock crawling, crossing 2 feet of water or anything even remotely extreme. Just some dirt roads, fire roads or some scenic routes. Don't want to get stranded as I will most likely be traveling alone (1 car) considering how quiet the east coast forums are. :-)

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Hey there! Looks like you’re in Nj. I would book a camp site at Hawkins bridge or Godfrey bridge in the pine barrens. You can drive and hike etc as much as you want. It’s right along he TNJT. Looking forward to hearing what you guys ended up doing and how it went

Reactions: DevilDodge

drabina

Rank I

Enthusiast I

NJ
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Drabina
Thanks. I will check those campsites and area you recommended. Is there any elevation or mostly flat terrain?

I used to live next town over in Leonia. Now moved further up north/west but still in NJ.

Reactions: Dusther210

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
This is the exact type of trip we have planned over Memorial day. We are heading to Tuscarora SF (just south of Bald Eagle State FOREST).

Our campsite is right by a trout stocked stream and near many trails. We plan to fish, hike, scout some more campsites, fish, hike, find some vistas, fish, hike, explore some more dirt roads....well you get the picture...using one campsite as base camp and adventuring from it for 5 days.

I try to keep the East forum active...but either everyone is off adventuring...or I shared to much info and no one wants to have discussion anymore...lol.

Good luck on the trip.

If you do out Bald Eagle State Forest on your plan...i can advise some sites with fishing and hiking for sure.

drabina

Rank I

Enthusiast I

NJ
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Drabina
This is the exact type of trip we have planned over Memorial day. We are heading to Tuscarora SF (just south of Bald Eagle State FOREST).

Our campsite is right by a trout stocked stream and near many trails. We plan to fish, hike, scout some more campsites, fish, hike, find some vistas, fish, hike, explore some more dirt roads....well you get the picture...using one campsite as base camp and adventuring from it for 5 days.

I try to keep the East forum active...but either everyone is off adventuring...or I shared to much info and no one wants to have discussion anymore...lol.

Good luck on the trip.

If you do out Bald Eagle State Forest on your plan...i can advise some sites with fishing and hiking for sure.
Thanks DevilDodge. This is exactly what I am looking for. Myself, I would go to BESP but when I gave my kids an option (PA, NJ or NH) they picked New Hampshire. I am still in a planning stage so nothing is decided for sure yet. There are actually two trips planned for August so we may end up exploring two different regions. Hopefully, the car will survive the first one. :-)

Last edited:

Bostongal62

Rank IV

Member II

Newport, NH, USA
First Name
Lisa
Last Name
Clivio
Member #

This summer, I would like to take two of my teenage sons on a mild off-roading trip that will last about 5 days. I have looked at the Trans New Hampshire Route, Trans NJ Trail and some trails in the Bald Eagle State Park. Any of those sound like a fun adventure but I think ultimately, I would rather find something opposite. By opposite I mean camping for a day or two and getting to some dirt roads from the campsite (vs driving whole day from campsite to campsite). My kids like hiking, fishing and exploring so while an off-road adventure is definitely fun, I rather have spend more time outside of vehicle than inside. I do not mind camping for 2 days, moving, camping for another 2 days, moving, etc. Just don't want to arrive at the campsite at 6pm and need to leave by 8am next morning to finish another leg of the journey on time.

Any recommendations for a trip of this kind? I have a pretty much stock 1st gen Sequoia with just some basic upgrades like Bilstein shocks, Dobinson's springs and 32" AT tires. Not looking for rock crawling, crossing 2 feet of water or anything even remotely extreme. Just some dirt roads, fire roads or some scenic routes. Don't want to get stranded as I will most likely be traveling alone (1 car) considering how quiet the east coast forums are. :-)
The NH backcountry discovery route should be right up your ally. A lot of it is paved and it’s nothing hard core. You can go around anything that you don’t feel comfortable with. There’s campgrounds scattered throughout the White Mountains but you might want to make a reservation in peak season. Some are first come first serve. Hit up RJ Howell. He knows all of the routes through NH.

518reaper

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Schenectady, NY, USA
First Name
Rainer
Last Name
Pelish
Member #

You can't go wrong with any area in the Adirondacks but the unfortunate part of my state is driving along the dirt roads. But out in speculator you can deff go through some logging trails that have campsites for rent.

JamesOgle

Rank 0

Contributor I

The NH backcountry discovery route should be right up your ally. A lot of it is paved and it’s nothing hard core. You can go around anything that you don’t feel comfortable with. There’s campgrounds scattered throughout the White Mountains but you might want to make a reservation in peak season. Some are first come first serve. Hit up RJ Howell. He knows all of the routes through NH.
Is it common to take 4x4s out on the NEBDR? I took a look at the website and Facebook group, it seems to be heavily motorcycle focused so I wasn’t sure.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Is it common to take 4x4s out on the NEBDR? I took a look at the website and Facebook group, it seems to be heavily motorcycle focused so I wasn’t sure.
I believe it was initially designed with that type of vehicle in mind. I can say that a vast majority of the route in Eastern New Hampshire and Western Maine is all either dirt two track or pavement.

For camping. Jefferson Notch Road (part of the route between Woodsville NH and Gorham NH) has some areas that are used as campsites occasionally. Evans Notch (RT113 into Western Maine) has some first come first serve campsites along with a couple of campgrounds with first come first serve/reservations.

Those area both have Very spotty cell reception if you are not on a mountain peak or ridge

Applejak

Rank 0

Contributor I

Shillington, PA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Zimmerman
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie to owning a Jeep and to this website.

If anyone plans a trip to Bald Eagle I'd be interested in tagging along.

I'd like to explore the driveable trails.. I don't want to get into rock crawling since mine is totally stock for now. I just want to check out the trails but have at least some other people in case of breakdown etc.

Thanks!