Idaho Owyhee Scenic Byway Area Intel? Dickshooter Creek/Ridge or other Cool Areas to Explore?

• HTML tutorial

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
I seem to have found an internet black hole, can't find offroad, hiking or hunting intel on the area of Dickshooter Creek and Dickshooter Ridge. BLM describes hiking through this canyon. I found the most likely direct track south from Mad Flat Road/Owyhee Scenic Byway, 20 miles or so.

We are interested and open to camping and exploring north or south off this scenic byway that starts in Grand View ID and ends in Jordan Valley OR, a 100+ mile mostly well graded dirt road. Tons of unnamed 4x4 tracks north and south. I see mention of Antelope Ridge and Triangle Reservoir to the north. I'm sure there's all sorts to explore but there's virtually no published data or first hand accounts of areas north and south of the byway.

We'll come from Washington, cruise through Grand View ID and find a spot to camp. If we find intel, we'll spend another night either at Dickshooter Creek and hike the canyon or some other cool area along the byway. Once we exit at Jordan Valley, we'll hit up some Oregon Owyhee spots that we're more familiar with.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I seem to have found an internet black hole, can't find offroad, hiking or hunting intel on the area of Dickshooter Creek and Dickshooter Ridge. BLM describes hiking through this canyon. I found the most likely direct track south from Mad Flat Road/Owyhee Scenic Byway, 20 miles or so.

We are interested and open to camping and exploring north or south off this scenic byway that starts in Grand View ID and ends in Jordan Valley OR, a 100+ mile mostly well graded dirt road. Tons of unnamed 4x4 tracks north and south. I see mention of Antelope Ridge and Triangle Reservoir to the north. I'm sure there's all sorts to explore but there's virtually no published data or first hand accounts of areas north and south of the byway.

We'll come from Washington, cruise through Grand View ID and find a spot to camp. If we find intel, we'll spend another night either at Dickshooter Creek and hike the canyon or some other cool area along the byway. Once we exit at Jordan Valley, we'll hit up some Oregon Owyhee spots that we're more familiar with.
I'm yet to travel mud flat road. I just took a trail from hemmingway Butte to silver city (not recommended if you like your paint job).

That being said, many of the trails in the area are mostly traveled by SXS, but, there's considerably less foliage in that area than in silver city.

Keep in mind though, if it's rained, Owyhee mud is NOT to be trifled with.

Reactions: Lazynorse

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force

I'm yet to travel mud flat road. I just took a trail from hemmingway Butte to silver city (not recommended if you like your paint job).

That being said, many of the trails in the area are mostly traveled by SXS, but, there's considerably less foliage in that area than in silver city.

Keep in mind though, if it's rained, Owyhee mud is NOT to be trifled with.
I will second the Owyhee mud issue... I got sucked in from the middle of the "maintained" road. It was just about up to the axles, I didnt think of getting a picture of the truck stuck before I got out.

Attachments

Reactions: Lazynorse

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
Re: mud, understood. This will be my 3rd trip to the Owyhee.

I called BLM, got transferred a couple times, eventually leaving a message to their ‘recreation guy’ for the local office. I await his call, hopefully he can shed light on what’s doable and worthwhile off the byway.

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
Rob,
Here is a link to the BLM route info. Download the OB Map APP, 85% of that area is without Cell Service. That Owyhee mud, is slick, sticks to everything.
OwyBywayGuide_2016_web.pdf (blm.gov)
David
Thank you, I’ve read through that very thorough guide before. It sticks to the main byway though, don’t recall details north and south off the byway. It really seems ‘undiscovered,’ at least in internet land. Might be a very cool thing! Or not, lol.