Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Kunz
Member #

Awesome trail run. 1200 miles off road. So much to see, I eventually stopped taking pictures every 5’ and just enjoyed the scenery. Video will be up once edit is completed. It’s a lot of video‍♂

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
If I'm still at my current job next year (not actively looking, but you know)... I'll have a total of 5 weeks vacation for next year. Hoping to do some bigger trips, and this would be one of them.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Thanks. I'm doing Colorado to the artic ocean (Dempster) next summer and your original post made me consider running the IDBDR as the first part of that. Unfortunately, I think it will add too much extra time onto the trip. I'll just have to do this one as a stand alone trip one day. That way I could give it the time I'm sure it deserves.

DadJokes

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

KY
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Kil
Service Branch
US Air Force
I just looked up the Idaho BDR. Looks like fun. We went to that area in August. We went west on the Lolo and back east via the Magruder Corridor/ Nex Perce Trail Road.

My wife about killed me on the Magruder going up to Burnt Knob in her Rubicon early August…which we ended up turning around on. Bummer. She later did not want any part of shelf roads. The rocks on the way up to Burnt Knob made her feel like she was going to tip over she said and then she literally froze up. My kid had to drive up to the pull off and go back down to pick her up. My modestly modified Sahara easily went up but I turned around too. It didn’t feel right going up and experiencing the view without everybody. Maybe I’ll return one day.

From about the 25-50 % section of that trail, my wife was hating life, unfortunately. Honestly, the last videos I could find were at least 4 years old and the conditions likely changed, and they absolutely did up to the Knob.

Reactions: Shahn

knkunz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Kunz
Member #

I just looked up the Idaho BDR. Looks like fun. We went to that area in August. We went west on the Lolo and back east via the Magruder Corridor/ Nex Perce Trail Road.

Unfortunately burnt knob was a section that was closed up. I’m planning on getting that section next summer. As well as the corridor. Those shelf roads can be intimidating for sure. But I here the view is epic. Hoping to hit the Utah bdr and Washington bdr next year also. Ultimate wish list is the trans American trail though. I’m going to start planning that trip out this winter.

My wife about killed me on the Magruder going up to Burnt Knob in her Rubicon early August…which we ended up turning around on. Bummer. She later did not want any part of shelf roads. The rocks on the way up to Burnt Knob made her feel like she was going to tip over she said and then she literally froze up. My kid had to drive up to the pull off and go back down to pick her up. My modestly modified Sahara easily went up but I turned around too. It didn’t feel right going up and experiencing the view without everybody. Maybe I’ll return one day.

From about the 25-50 % section of that trail, my wife was hating life, unfortunately. Honestly, the last videos I could find were at least 4 years old and the conditions likely changed, and they absolutely did up to the Knob.

G0to60

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Milwaukie, OR
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Larson
Nice pictures! We just did the NVBDR which ends at the beginning of the IDBDR in Jarbidge, NV. If we didn't have to get back home for work we might have just continued on to check this one out too. It is definitely on our list to do in the future.

You said it took you 9 days to do. Was that driving every day or did you have a rest day mixed in there?

Reactions: Kozysnack

knkunz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Kunz
Member #

Nice pictures! We just did the NVBDR which ends at the beginning of the IDBDR in Jarbidge, NV. If we didn't have to get back home for work we might have just continued on to check this one out too. It is definitely on our list to do in the future.

You said it took you 9 days to do. Was that driving every day or did you have a rest day mixed in there?
I took my time for the most part. Really only stopping every once in awhile to take picture or stretch my legs. It would normally take longer but the trail was closed in sections due to fires or washouts.

Reactions: G0to60

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I just did a somewhat similar trip a few weeks back:
1637626999957.png
We had to work around a few closed trails too:
1637627148067.png
This mess was working around a land slide that I think happened after a fire, or so we were told. The brown was the intended route, all the red was finding another way through.

All-in-all we did 800 miles and I'd guess 80-85% off road. We pushed hard because of obligations at home for my buddy/trail partner. We ended up hitting the trail the evening (nearly sunset already) of Saturday, 9/25 and came off the trail after dark on Wednesday, 9/29. IMHO, that was a little too quick and we pushed longer days than we wanted, and a bit higher speeds (we both had rock chips to show for it ;) ). I'd love to do it again, but slow this route down to 7-8 days instead of 5.

But really, now I want to try the full BDR and all 1200 miles!!!

-TJ

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Hoping to do this next year. Or the Utah BDR. A group of us (motos and rigs) have done the AZ and CO BDRs together. It'll be up to a vote.