Rank III

Enthusiast I

Bothell, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Wayson
Member #

My wife and I are going on a roughly 8 day trip from the Seattle area in the beginning of august and are looking for ideas.

We’re planning on heading as Far East as Glacier National park, however we want to avoid crowds a and be more off the grid.

Our plan is to get out of WA state (we’ve done a ton of exploring in WA already) and then get off the road.

Any tips for dispersed camping, and/or trails, lakes etc to help plan our route would be much appreciated!

We’ve contemplated just exploring the ID BDR if there is anyone here with experience driving that?

Thanks!

CJTherapy

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Port Hadlock, Wa
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Rice
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7PDR
My GF and I are doing something simiiar next week. We are leaving the Oly Pen this weekend and taking a couple days to explore some areas north of Spokane and then probably a couple days on the IBDR as we head south, before cutting back and making our way home. If I can remember I'll let you know how the upper section of the IBDR is when we get home.

I'm also looking for some 'must see/do' things in that area if you come across anything in your research, let me know.

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Look for stuff on Libby, Yaak, Eureka, and Lake Koocanusa in northwest MT. Beautiful area and close to Kalispell. Be prepared to adjust plans based on fires. Also stop by Farragut State Park in ID north of Coeur d'Alene.

Reactions: Twayson

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My wife and I are going on a roughly 8 day trip from the Seattle area in the beginning of august and are looking for ideas.

We’re planning on heading as Far East as Glacier National park, however we want to avoid crowds a and be more off the grid.

Our plan is to get out of WA state (we’ve done a ton of exploring in WA already) and then get off the road.

Any tips for dispersed camping, and/or trails, lakes etc to help plan our route would be much appreciated!

We’ve contemplated just exploring the ID BDR if there is anyone here with experience driving that?

Thanks!
@Sandpoint Steve is the member representative for northern ID and Northeastern Washington. He has lots of experience up in the area you want to explore.

Reactions: Twayson

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
North end of the Idaho BDR is fun. There is plenty of places to get off the grid up here in North Idaho.
Depending on where your track takes you I can try to recommend some places to pitch your tent.

-Steve

Reactions: M Rose

CJTherapy

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Port Hadlock, Wa
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Rice
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7PDR
North end of the Idaho BDR is fun. There is plenty of places to get off the grid up here in North Idaho.
Depending on where your track takes you I can try to recommend some places to pitch your tent.

-Steve
I think the tentative plan is to take two-three days and start at the top of the IDBDR and work south starting Thursday.

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Please plan on avoiding IDBDR section 8 between Clark Fork and Trestle Creek.
There are currently several fires up there near lunch peak and it is an active fire operation.

If you are on section 8 heading to Roman Nose and want a more challenging spot try Cooks lake.
North Idaho - Roman Nose And Cooks Lake
We took 4 rigs up to Cooks last weekend .
4WD required and LSD or a locker highly recommended to get to Cooks Lake.

Cooks Lake:
1626705497689.png

Other Destinations:

Mount Coeur d'Alene area.
Great for and overnight at Mnt Coeur d'alene or Red Horse Mnt.
Mount Coeur d'Alene

Baldy Mountain, Sandpoint ID
It's a rough road Deffinatly more challenging than the typical forest Service road.
07.06.2021 Baldy Mountain

Worth taking a look at
Top 10 Scenic Drives in Idaho | YourMechanic Advice
I have been looking at the Seven Devils area

Coeur d'Alene National Forest
I attempted to quickly rout "The High Drive" NFS 332
Coeur d'Alene National Forest

Reactions: MeliMK and Twayson

Twayson

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Bothell, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Wayson
Member #

-Steve
Awesome man! Thank you! I’ll figure out where we’re heading and let you know.