Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Does anyone have any experience with this radio? I’m looking into mobile rigs, and the Id-4100a peaked my interest. I don’t believe it has crossband repeat, but I don’t know if I need that anyway.
I don’t know if I need D star either, but it sounds like fun. A72EC2CF-4BF2-4D8A-9F32-0E461830C325.jpeg

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I recently bought the 2730. Great radio, no DStar but it does have cross band repeat and dual receive which I thought was more useful.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
This will be my first mobile radio. I looked at the 2730 as well. I looked into the Kenwoods and Yaesu too. I think I figure out what I want, and something shiny catches my eye. Dual receive is attractive, as is cross band repeat. I like the Bluetooth functions of the 4100 and 5100.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
My buddy has the 5100. It is an amazing radio. The GPS feature makes finding repeaters super easy. I’m still early in my HAM skills but I may switch down the line to the 5100 for digital mode and the gps ability.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
The Bluetooth is pretty limited but the dual receive and huge screen are great! I recommend the add on speaker for any of these.

Last edited:

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I purchased the ICOM 4100a and tested it out. No issues at all. I did install a separate speaker and a flexible seat bolt mount (18") for the head unit.

RisingEagle

Rank 0

Traveler I

I run the ICOM ID-5100, it's an awesome piece of tech. The flexibility of D-Star and being able to reach out across using the interwebz when it's there is handy. You can build a little "radio hotspot" (or buy one) from a Raspberry Pi, tether it to your phone - and you don't even need a repeater anyway to talk across the globe.

dual-channel, VHF&UHF, D-Star, bluetooth, hundreds of channels, etc - it was a little overwhelming at first but even new guys can work it and stay within about 10 channels. I programmed all the FMRS etc in it as well.

Think they go for about $500 now, so coming down in price.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I believe they are Kit Radios... you buy the parts and assemble them yourself. But hey! I could be wrong..:sunglasses:
Close! They are super cheap computers that are very small form factor and open source. They are used to make all kinds of fun projects with even basic computer knowledge.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Close! They are super cheap computers that are very small form factor and open source. They are used to make all kinds of fun projects with even basic computer knowledge.
Well ain't that just grand.... :confounded::confused: I've got two things wrong this week and I have a whole year ahead of me and only 3 wrong answers left.... :sunglasses:

Thanks for setting me straight Cort.