Kris022

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5UXO
Yesterday I installed an IBS Dual Battery system in rig. The only issue that it's having is that it's not charging the aux battery. It does link both batteries when I start the engine (link light on), and un-links when it's off. But it will not throw a charge to the aux. I tested the relay with a meter, and the post on the relay connected to the aux is showing no charge while the engine is on. I'm starting to believe it may be a faulty relay. Maybe?

I contacted the place where it was bought from and I have not heard back from them. I'll be going on a road trip in about a week and wanted to have this properly working. I wanted to find out if you guys/gals can recommend a relay I can use for the time being, and being able to use the IBS monitor. I'm not sure how long it will take me to get, if at all, a replacement IBS relay, so I want get ahead of this.

Thanks for you help

JackP

Rank II

Advocate II

I have never even heard of the IBS Dual Battery system. Everyone I know that has done a dual battery has either built their own or used a national luna kit, this being said I'll give you my thoughts. First is how you have the aux battery grounded. I'm not sure how the kit tells you to do it but both negative terminals on the batteries should be connected directly together. My second question is how long are you waiting after turning your vehicle on to check the voltage on the aux battery. As I understand it many of the smart relay's have a feature that doesn't connect the batteries until it sees a voltage over a certain amount for a certain amount of time. like say if it sees 13.1 for 3 minutes it connects the battery, but if the voltage drops under 12 for one minute it disconnects the battery. (I just made those voltages up, I'm not sure what it would actually be).

My next inclination is to double check all of the wiring to make sure everything is actually terminated at the proper locations. I know I had an issue when I first set up my dual battery system and it is because I had not grounded the control wire in a good location. If you are looking for a quick replacement I use THIS, and you can get it on amazon prime, and it has been working great for me.

Reactions: Kris022

Kris022

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5UXO
I have never even heard of the IBS Dual Battery system. Everyone I know that has done a dual battery has either built their own or used a national luna kit, this being said I'll give you my thoughts. First is how you have the aux battery grounded. I'm not sure how the kit tells you to do it but both negative terminals on the batteries should be connected directly together. My second question is how long are you waiting after turning your vehicle on to check the voltage on the aux battery. As I understand it many of the smart relay's have a feature that doesn't connect the batteries until it sees a voltage over a certain amount for a certain amount of time. like say if it sees 13.1 for 3 minutes it connects the battery, but if the voltage drops under 12 for one minute it disconnects the battery. (I just made those voltages up, I'm not sure what it would actually be).

My next inclination is to double check all of the wiring to make sure everything is actually terminated at the proper locations. I know I had an issue when I first set up my dual battery system and it is because I had not grounded the control wire in a good location. If you are looking for a quick replacement I use THIS, and you can get it on amazon prime, and it has been working great for me.
Thanks for the reply Jack. The negatives are directly connected to each other. My drive to work is about 15 minutes, and not once did the monitor show any charge (to the aux) and just threw an alarm and a flashing light at me. My cables are as short as possible and terminated well, I'm assuming. I used a hydraulic crimper, and they were tight. The ground wire from the control/monitor is on the (-) post of the main battery, per the instructions. I think I'll go with your recommendation on that battery isolator. Thanks again

Reactions: JackP

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I’m wondering what vehicle you have installed this on? Would it be new enough that the alternator only sends a charge when the starter battery needs it? I think there a kits you can get to sort this.
I went looking for a manual, is it like this? http://ibs-tech.ch/fileadmin/ibs-tech/pdf/Manuals_Pdf/English/IBS_DBS_12V_e_6.4a.pdf
There is a section in the manual that talks about emergency procedures to get the relay to switch manually which might be a good troubleshooting step to see if it’s actually working. Do you hear the relay click?
Not heard anything bad about the IBS design and seen it installed on a few vehicles. It has the same principles as most other voltage detection relay systems.
If the relay is at fault, you can buy replacements separately which may be easier than replacing the whole system.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Kris022

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5UXO
I’m wondering what vehicle you have installed this on? Would it be new enough that the alternator only sends a charge when the starter battery needs it? I think there a kits you can get to sort this.
I went looking for a manual, is it like this? http://ibs-tech.ch/fileadmin/ibs-tech/pdf/Manuals_Pdf/English/IBS_DBS_12V_e_6.4a.pdf
There is a section in the manual that talks about emergency procedures to get the relay to switch manually which might be a good troubleshooting step to see if it’s actually working. Do you hear the relay click?
Not heard anything bad about the IBS design and seen it installed on a few vehicles. It has the same principles as most other voltage detection relay systems.
If the relay is at fault, you can buy replacements separately which may be easier than replacing the whole system.

Hi Tim and thanks for your input. It's installed on a 2016 4Runner. I tested the main battery while it was running and I was getting a constant 13.8 volts, so I assume it's charging the battery.

This is the manual - http://ibs-tech.ch/fileadmin/ibs-tech/pdf/Manuals_Pdf/English/IBS_DBS-EM_8.1_en.pdf

I believe the emergency procedures are just to get both batteries linked, not for actual charging. I am able to get both batteries linked via controller inside the cab. Good call on the "clicking part", I will check that out today. Thanks for the help!

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Hi Tim and thanks for your input. It's installed on a 2016 4Runner. I tested the main battery while it was running and I was getting a constant 13.8 volts, so I assume it's charging the battery.

This is the manual - http://ibs-tech.ch/fileadmin/ibs-tech/pdf/Manuals_Pdf/English/IBS_DBS-EM_8.1_en.pdf

I believe the emergency procedures are just to get both batteries linked, not for actual charging. I am able to get both batteries linked via controller inside the cab. Good call on the "clicking part", I will check that out today. Thanks for the help!
Sounds like it’s charging the main battery to me too. My suggestion around the emergency procedure was just to see if the relay would switch (click) if the control model was giving the right signal. If you are able to hold the link button and measure voltage on the output of the relay (aux/second battery side) or see the voltage rise on the aux battery at the same time, then it will tell you the same thing. I’m assuming there are no fuses installed?

I did a quick google on your year of 4Runner and can’t see anything extra in other people’s dual battery setups.

I’m guessing you’ve checked the wiring over several times by now but a simple thing such as faulty earth connection on the control module (black wire) can stop the second battery charging. That and getting the connections to starter and aux batteries the wrong way round.. (the red and blue wires).

Hope you get is sorted.

Kris022

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5UXO
Hey Tim, I tried the emergency procedure thing and there was no click. Now I'm really starting to believe it's the relay. I haven't measured the voltage on the output of the relay, but I'm curious now, and I'll definitely check it out when I get home. No fuses installed at this point. The negative from the aux is hooked up to the negative on the main. I even grounded it to the body to see if it would do anything. Still nada.
In the meantime, I was digging around looking for a relay, and I found some on amazon that looked identical to what IBS has, so I ordered a few. If it works, then I'll have some spares just in case it happens again. Thanks again man.

Reactions: Tim