I would love some feedback on planning my first real trip-Southeast US planning on escaping the summer heat

• HTML tutorial

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

Awesome info. Thanks! I have seen the videos of folks going east-to-west and having to go up that large rock step on the incline. I think that is probably what you are referencing. Do you recall about where that is?

Yeah, the rest is pretty easy in terms of needing only 2WD. I did take the northeastern part of the loop just west of Blue Ridge in late spring, coming down from the Ocoee area ( did south part earlier). There was a bit of snow and the creek crossings were a little deep, but it sure was fun.
See my post above. I missed the quote button to reply.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I have a video clip of that area on my instagram overland louisiana. It can be as difficult or easy as you want depending on your line. I have gone through it with guys in their 20s doing it mostly on three wheels? But im 53 and wheel mostly like a 53year old. I mean i have a lot of time and money invested in my rig. The wheeling i do isnt for the sake of wheeling but rather a means to get from point a to b via nature. There are other areas that are washed out and rutted that look just as intimidating but all of it has rock at the bottom. You wont get stuck.
Hmmm - same vehicle, same age, same outlook. Are we related? Ha. Thanks for the info. I guess I shoulda realized the UTube folks like to make it look harder than it is.

Fly_hippie

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Dawson County, GA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Rose
Member #

I live in the foothills of the N Ga mountains, I'm all over the trails between here and NC. I guess it depends on what you want to have access to while on the road. I primarily roam around the WMAs and Nat parks so I tend to stay fairly remote. There are challenges with that because you really can't reserve any particular site. Sometimes I've traveled quite a ways only to have all the sites taken. It does seem that more and more folks are heading to the woods these days. In my mind though, being remote makes the gamble worthwhile. I've done pieces of the GA traverse and that's a great option as well. Take a look at the Dahlonega area of N Ga, ton of forest roads and easy access to anything north. Let me know if you'd like more detailed info, be happy to help.

Reactions: LumixLab

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
I guess the part I have the hardest part wrapping my head around is where I can camp without making a reservation, and where I cant. I find that the national forest rules tend to be contradictory and unclear when looking at the forest services websites. I'm totally ok with the unknown as to if i might have to keep searching if there are too many people in a spot i would have wanted to camp, I'm just unsure of where I can legally do that. I truly want to be as remote as possible. Having grown up every summer at our cabin with no electricity, cell service, internet, and having to off road for miles and then take a boat to get to our cabin, i want to be as far away from people as possible.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I guess the part I have the hardest part wrapping my head around is where I can camp without making a reservation, and where I cant. I find that the national forest rules tend to be contradictory and unclear when looking at the forest services websites. I'm totally ok with the unknown as to if i might have to keep searching if there are too many people in a spot i would have wanted to camp, I'm just unsure of where I can legally do that. I truly want to be as remote as possible. Having grown up every summer at our cabin with no electricity, cell service, internet, and having to off road for miles and then take a boat to get to our cabin, i want to be as far away from people as possible.
if you are reffing to any National Forest, such as the Chattahoochee, you can pretty much camp anywhere it‘s not prohibited. Dispersed camping is much more fun than campground camping, IMHO.

“For those who prefer solitude and privacy, undeveloped or “dispersed” camping is allowed in most places within the forest boundary. Dispersed camping is more primitive than in developed campgrounds, with few or no facilities. You will need to Pack-it-in and Pack-it-Out.”

From: Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests - Camping & Cabins

There is also a FAQ page and rules page at the bottom, with a listing of places you can’t camp. The hard part at this point may simply be what forest service roads are open and which are closed. You just need to verify you are not on private property prior to camping. Gaia helps in that regard.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
What i always find hilarious is that all forest services fall under the USDA, but every single one words things their own way. I'm probably overthinking things. In Ocala National, they state that you can't camp in recreation areas. My mind was going to the trails as everyone always refers to the trail riding there as recreation areas. . I'm starting to see that i just might be a little slow, lol...

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

What i always find hilarious is that all forest services fall under the USDA, but every single one words things their own way. I'm probably overthinking things. In Ocala National, they state that you can't camp in recreation areas. My mind was going to the trails as everyone always refers to the trail riding there as recreation areas. . I'm starting to see that i just might be a little slow, lol...
Not only that, but these National Forests are not run at the national level. For example, the forests in Alabama are all wide open, except perhaps the campgrounds. I have heard in Georgia that many of the road gates have been locked. Seems the local folks get to make the rules.

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

Hmmm - same vehicle, same age, same outlook. Are we related? Ha. Thanks for the info. I guess I shoulda realized the UTube folks like to make it look harder than it is.
It depends on how you plan your trips. I drive from Baton Rouge to Clayton. Its a pretty long run, so I have given up on hunting a good dispersed site after that drive...or even entering a trail for that matter. Instead I head straight to Sarahs Creek campground. On a weekday you might be the only one there. Weekends are another matter, but I have never gone there and not been able to find a spot to sleep off the drive. There are pit toilets there, tables, fire rings. My sleep has never been disturbed by man or beast. Beyond the first night, I usually look for dispersed camping and have always been able to scrounge up a spot to wind down. I have typically stayed at one of the spots marked on the traverse map, but have also discovered a few places off the traverse. There are also several other campgrounds on or near that Clayton to Helen stretch if all else fails. I have pulled into one for lunch before but never overnighted. By the way, the other campers will be off the “getaway to nature”, “hikers”, or “trout fisherman”, with fishermen likely being in the majority. Missing is the atv, motorcycle, side by side crowd that seem to be more...rowdy.
I even rented an air b and b 4 wheel drive access cabin for Christmas two years ago and had a great time.

Fly_hippie

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Dawson County, GA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Rose
Member #

In N Ga now some of the WMA roads are closed for “maintenance “. It’s not easy to figure out which ones are open. The national parks are all open for the most part. There are a few reservation options , probably the best is Lake Dockery. Only 6 spots but very remote. I can send specifics it you like.

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

In N Ga now some of the WMA roads are closed for “maintenance “. It’s not easy to figure out which ones are open. The national parks are all open for the most part. There are a few reservation options , probably the best is Lake Dockery. Only 6 spots but very remote. I can send specifics it you like.
Id like soecifics in that please.

BiggB74

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Dean
Member #

If your close to South Carolina they have the SCAR Trail I think it’s called. Goes into the mountains and then to the cost. 2-3 day trip.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
I've been going through the Georgia Traverse maps from Georgia Overland, trying to discern the waypoint, etc. There are obviously offshoots, etc. Are there some things that are more worth doing then others? I don't mind breaking off at a certain point and heading further north. I am considering doing this west to east currently as then i could shoot up to North Carolina and visit some family in Troy.

Fly_hippie

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Dawson County, GA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Just my opinion mind you but the section from around Blue Ridge to the Pine Mountain area is the prettiest. If you wanted to do the whole thing you can't go wrong with that either, especially if you're running up to past Charlotte.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

If I recall correctly, the north part of the loop west of Blue Ridge has more water and a couple of water crossings. Note that I have not done the northwest part - just the entire southern part and then from Ocoee down to Blue Ridge via the NE part. That part was pretty. I did camp when traveling on the southern part of that loop and there were some very nice campsites. I wasn’t paying attention to that on the northern portion - though I do recall seeing folks camping and a campground near the creek. Have fun?

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
If I recall correctly, the north part of the loop west of Blue Ridge has more water and a couple of water crossings. Note that I have not done the northwest part - just the entire southern part and then from Ocoee down to Blue Ridge via the NE part. That part was pretty. I did camp when traveling on the southern part of that loop and there were some very nice campsites. I wasn’t paying attention to that on the northern portion - though I do recall seeing folks camping and a campground near the creek. Have fun?
Where you camping in the designated campsites in the forest, or just picking where you wanted to stay just off the road/trail? his again is teh one part i'm just not 100% on being that i haven't done something like this yet. If it was just me, or even just me and the wife i would risk just trying to find a spot wherever and pushing on if need be, but with the baby i have a feeling the wife will not be happy with me if i do that, lol.

Fly_hippie

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Dawson County, GA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Rose
Member #

A lot of the camp sites in N. GA. are dispersed, first come first served, and trust me the campsites have been packed since the Covid thing. Been a while since we've had small ones but that may be tough with a little one. But then again you guys may want that adventure. You could consider making plans to stay at state/national parks and plan your offroading around where you would be camping. Make reservations and you'd be assured of a place to lay your head. There are literally a million places that you can make reservations in N. GA usually only about $5-10 a night. For off road travel, there are numerous FS roads all over and very well mapped. May take some serious planning but well worth it if you don't want to be camp hunting.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Where you camping in the designated campsites in the forest, or just picking where you wanted to stay just off the road/trail? his again is teh one part i'm just not 100% on being that i haven't done something like this yet. If it was just me, or even just me and the wife i would risk just trying to find a spot wherever and pushing on if need be, but with the baby i have a feeling the wife will not be happy with me if i do that, lol.

As noted by Fly_hippie, there are tons of campsites in that area. There are designated campsites AND areas just off the road that have obviously been used for camping. Most of the latter even have a fire ring. Dispersed camping is totally legal in that area. I just always end up at one of those places that have obviously been used many times before. Been passed by rangers many times and never had an issue. But, have not been on the area lately, and as noted I would not be surprised if those sites would be hard to secure.

Reactions: haaken675

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
ITs amazing lately. People that don't normally go out and do things are out camping, boating, etc. My parents went down to the keys for their annual trip on the hattaras and apparently fort Jefferson was so packed that it was hard to just moor the boat like always....

So long as i'm not getting harassed by a park ranger I'm sure i can make things work. I just don't want to plan a trip that turns into a nightmare because i can't find a camp site, especially when you can't reserve any of the dispersed sites. This is what has me still considering heading out west instead and just chancing it. I love getting away from people entirely, its what keeps me sane for the rest of the year when i can literally fully disconnect. Where we usually go in Canada we get no cell service, electricity, internet, and not a single angry customer can call me...glorious

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
So far it looks like we are tentatively looking to start the Georgia traverse 8/15. Any reason to wait a little longer that anyone can think of? I'm hoping weather will be good. The only down side I can come up with is it might be right before schools start up and possibly busy trails?