Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

Manager 30 is an expensive pice of kit just to hook up a PV panel
If you know your system is going to grow and you can foresee actually needing all the capability the Manager 30 offers then it’s for sure a great option.
I use their bcdc 1225 with the solar inputs and even that is much more than would be needed just to do a basic panel wireup.
It really all depends on how much you want to spend right now and how far you want to take the power system in the future.

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

I did my own dual battery set up with Slee equipment in my LX450. I do find if I leave my fridge plugged in fo a weekend without driving i have to use the “jump start” feature ( thank God for that) I spoke to Engle- fridge and to keep the batteries topped off I would need a 100w panel min. My question to anyone listening is, if I have a 12v outlet that is always live can I just plug my solar panel’s 12v plug into that to maintain my batteries vs. alligator clips under the hood?

Rank II

Enthusiast III

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Z
Last Name
Varela
Redarc manager 30. Dual battery isolator with monitor and solar capabilities in one. And you can plug in to shore power like an rv to charge if needed. I have it and it is rad.
To reduce space usage (though mounting to a hardtop RTT is brilliant) a tray design that slides out from under the roof rack is a great space saver. I've seen side mounts but with this pic, you get the idea:

View attachment 169546
I strongly agree...
prepperracks.us.jpegprepperracks.jpeg

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

To reduce space usage (though mounting to a hardtop RTT is brilliant) a tray design that slides out from under the roof rack is a great space saver. I've seen side mounts but with this pic, you get the idea:

View attachment 169546
I will likely mount under my roofrack, just without the sliders you have.

I'm wondering how I will hide the wires so they don't stick out.

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

What you are asking for is not difficult at all. Get the solar panel you want, get a solar charge controller and connect that between the battery and solar panel. A good solar charge controller will not charge the battery when the truck is running and it detects the voltage from the alternator charging the battery. If you want to learn more about solar and possibly add a second battery check out the website below and check out some of his videos, he has all kinds of information for someone who hasn't had much experience with mobile solar setups!

Mobile Solar Power: Made Easy! DIY Off-grid Solar Power!
Thanks for sharing the info and the link. I too am looking to install some solar; mine will be on top of a pop-up truck camper similar to the Palomino Rouge. Figure I can point the nose to the South and take advantage of the angled pop-up. I'll be doing some research but am looking to run a Maxair fan, dual zone refrigerator, some led lights, and some USB & 12v ports. Thinking also of picking up a 12v charger for the laptop so I don't have to add in a 110 v outlet (not certain on this part though).

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

I did my own dual battery set up with Slee equipment in my LX450. I do find if I leave my fridge plugged in fo a weekend without driving i have to use the “jump start” feature ( thank God for that) I spoke to Engle- fridge and to keep the batteries topped off I would need a 100w panel min. My question to anyone listening is, if I have a 12v outlet that is always live can I just plug my solar panel’s 12v plug into that to maintain my batteries vs. alligator clips under the hood?
No, as far as I know one should not do that. The solar panel needs a solar charge controller (even the super cheap $15 pwm kind will be ok) between it and the battery. The charge controller should be attached to the battery to be charged though you could use alligator clips as a quick and dirty hook up while parked.

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

Exactly. I was mostly thinking that the panel and charge controller need to be wired right to the battery not to the 12v outlet. I could be wrong though. If anyone knows different I’d be interested in their opinion.

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

Hmm, might be important.. just makes me wonder why they include the two connection options of a 12v plug & alligator clips. Looks like I need to research more

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Ok i got a 10 watt solar panel. The reviews say this is small enough to not need a controller, and has automatic shut off so it won't drain my battery.

20200910_145102.jpg

Will be testing it on a dead battery as soon as we start getting some sun. The fires have the sun nearly blocked out with ash at the moment.

Reactions: LostInThought

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

So far this has not done much to the dead battery.

Its been about 4 days, and the voltage meter still is showing no signs of power.
Maybe the battery is too far to be revived.

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

A ten watt panel won’t put out much juice. So it could be that there just isn’t enough amperage to boost that battery.

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
so last night my battery died on my jeep.
So I got an AGM battery this morning and was thinking how bad it could of been had I been out exploring on my own.

I was thinking of mounting a solar panel on my hardtop, and run the wire somehow to my battery, with some kind of controller in between. I dont know much about any of this.

Would the solar panel be always charging the battery? Even when driving?
Later i do plan to add a small fridge in the back seat, and 2 light pods (40 watts each).

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have a fair amount of experience in using solar on two different vehicles. Depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go let me comment on your questions and suggest a few options.

First, to keep things simple you don't need to use a solar panel to charge your battery when you're driving. Your trucks alternator does this just fine. The issue is when you're camped and using things like a refrigerator or lights. If your use is not too extensive then you can just get a solar panel with a charge controller built in and use the clamps to hook up directly to the battery while your stationary. I have this panel and while not cheap it is one of the best on the market and very portable which is a huge plus for me. There are others available as well.

If you find your need are more extensive then you'll need to get into a second battery system which ideally should involve a BCDC charge controller which automatically chooses either the truck or solar to properly charge your second battery. My favorite one is this...

You can get very involved in this field so I would suggest you read up on the pros and cons of how to best charge your batteries....