I want a newer rig, but...

• HTML tutorial

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

It must be newer and has to come from the same model type. So you couldnt put a civic engine in it but you could do a 5.3 Tahoe engine for example.
Thats not really true, you can put a civic motor in a tahoe but not the other way around. I work as a smog tech so if anyone has any questions feel free to pm me.

Comanche

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Goodyear, Arizona
Member #

I just got a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I paid extra for a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty from Chrysler that expires at 1,000,000 miles.
The Warranty even stipulates that it can be lifted up to 2 inches without voiding my warranty.
I'm a happy camper, err, overlander.

Last edited:

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I just got a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I paid extra for a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty from Chrysler that expires at 1,000,000,000 miles.
The Warranty even stipulates that it can be lifted up to 2 inches without voiding my warranty.
I'm a happy camper, err, overlander.
be sure to read the fine print on that -

I love that color. I was inq about trade in on mine so I could get what is pictured here

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
There is always the Mercedes G-wagons. It's right up your alley! Solid axles, locking diffs front and back......and an optional V12 for your deep pockets. Lol

I heard they're gonna bring the portal axle versions to the US too. That would be cool
IMG_4744.PNG
I'll take two!!! ;-)

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Keep your rig and refresh it. I wheel with a few guys with older Jeeps. They seem to be put together so much better than my JKU. Plus all that nostalgia! Where is that in the JK?

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Let the refresh begin!!! My timing chain cover is leaking, so I'm having it fixed. PLUS:
New timing chain & gears.
New upper & lower Radiator hoses.
And "Whatever else it needs to make it reliable". It's only money, right? ;-)

UPDATE: Also doing timing chain & gears. Water pump. Radiator & Thermostat.

Last edited:

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

Let the refresh begin!!! My timing chain cover is leaking, so I'm having it fixed. PLUS:
New timing chain & gears.
New upper & lower Radiator hoses.
And "Whatever else it needs to make it reliable". It's only money, right? ;-)

UPDATE: Also doing timing chain & gears. Water pump. Radiator & Thermostat.
Did you replace the other front axle or just the one that broke?

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I am of two minds when it comes to deciding to replace a vehicle.

The Appliance: This is the car that is only purchased for the utility, to serve a specific purpose and nothing more. The way I decide to replace this vehicle is based on repair cost. If the cost of keeping it running for one year is the same as what you would pay for a replacement car payment then it is time to replace it. You are now spending the same amount of money but have a new, more reliable, and likely more comfortable car than what you had before. The economics of time lost at the shop and inconvenience mean you are actually winning by paying the same amount of money.

The Project/Passion: Throw logic out the window, it doesn't apply here. This is were you find classic cars, projects that are never quite done, and cars that have special emotional meanings to the owners. People with these cars will throw tens of thousands of dollars at a car worth maybe $4,000 (on a good day, with a full tank of premium) because it makes them happy. When do you sell this car? When owning it is no longer making you happy. Some people love the process of building a car, as soon as that is done, they will sell it on to a loving home and buy another project to build.

The question is which one is your ZJ? I can see both sides, one being that the rig is just another tool to collect experiences, when it stops doing that safely and economically it is time to get something else. On the other hand, if you love the rig and can't stand to part with it, maybe to accept the higher cost of maintenance and repairs because it isn't about the cost or reliability, but the emotion.

It looks like you've gone with the second choice. I love the render!

(On a side note, Toyota and Nissan both build their trucks and most SUVs in the US. Many contain more US-made parts than Jeep, GM, or Ford products. My XTerra is an American-made product and was made in Tennessee.)

Reactions: Kelly

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

As above, I think if you have owned the rig for a while, know its history, happy with the money you have invested to date, then update rather than replace. Not sure about the engines and gears, but diesel is a good choice. Mine is only a 2,7 V6 but I get 28 MPG from it. As for pin striping, how about getting it wrapped with some nice vinyl and some decals, logos or images which truly make your truck unique.

Reactions: Kelly