Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Looking to put solar on my shell rack. Anybody else doing this? Looking at full time mounted 150w+ system to feed my goal zero yeti 5000 and then eventually dual battery system..
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but was debating if I wanted them up there full-time or not. What made you decide to go the permanent route vice temporary?

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Looking to put solar on my shell rack. Anybody else doing this? Looking at full time mounted 150w+ system to feed my goal zero yeti 5000 and then eventually dual battery system..
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but was debating if I wanted them up there full-time or not. What made you decide to go the permanent route vice temporary?
Well our rig is adventure bound only otherwise it’s garaged so I figure no need to remove it. And I like the charge while driving idea as well. I tend to find shady places to camp in lol..

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Well our rig is adventure bound only otherwise it’s garaged so I figure no need to remove it. And I like the charge while driving idea as well. I tend to find shady places to camp in lol..
Makes sense!

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Nice!! Seems to fit nicely. Wind noise?
No not that I can remember. The Toyota was a noise ride anyway but I'm tolerable of that. There is a swivel mount smaller panel I'd be interested in or maybe make one. Waiting for a new shell for that project.
Thanks
Zim

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I have a Goal Zero Yeti 1500x and running the boulder 200w briefcase and used the Goal Zero roof mount system to put them on my A.R.E. topper. Used a marine wire passthrough for the top of the shell to run wires through and keep it water proof.

Another idea is to look into the Goal Zero car link system. I have it and it works great, only charges when the vehicle is running and gives a good 750w charge when driving and drops when idle but i am usualy still around 450w charging when idle.

Attachments

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Interesting I’m going to look into that !!

I have a Goal Zero Yeti 1500x and running the boulder 200w briefcase and used the Goal Zero roof mount system to put them on my A.R.E. topper. Used a marine wire passthrough for the top of the shell to run wires through and keep it water proof.

Another idea is to look into the Goal Zero car link system. I have it and it works great, only charges when the vehicle is running and gives a good 750w charge when driving and drops when idle but i am usualy still around 450w charging when idle.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Would like to do this and also the second battery for my GMC. To have both options. For one reason or another over the past year, I never got to either project. Watching

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

I have my solar mounted on the front hood and I am very happy with them.

Attachments

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS

Nice I was looking at this setup as well seems easy enough. Does it have enough power generated to justify the price?

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Nice I was looking at this setup as well seems easy enough. Does it have enough power generated to justify the price?
The solar panels are custom made from Honk Kong and costed me 500 USD. Since I installed them I never run out of starter or leisure battery. Lensun Solar is the producer, very reliable.