Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Here's what I use for antennas on my 4Runner: Gamiviti antenna brackets for Toyota

Also, just came back from a week-plus long trip where the tailgunner had both a Midland GMRS and a Yaesu (iirc) ham radio. Had to jump on the ham multiple times when the GMRS wasn't strong enough, and that's despite both having similar antennas located towards the top of the vehicle. Not saying the Wouxun is that much better, but the experience didn't leave me impressed with the Midland unit.
Do you know how many watts either radio was pushing?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The Yasue would have been pushing 50 watts and the Midland could have been anything from 5 watts to 50 watts… hard to say for sure…

Last edited:

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
All I know is he said his GMRS radio was set to high power - I have no more details than that.

Edit: Ham was using VHF, which should also in theory work better than UHF in the backwoods of Idaho.

Not at all a scientific test, just sharing my experience. The difference in reach was quite siginificant.

Reactions: Ubiety

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I have both of the Wouxun radios in question here. I highly recommend the 1000G. Just because it's capable of things doesn't mean you have to use all that capability. I find it easy to use, love the remote face plate, and the microphone runs off cat 6 cable. I have the main unit mounted under my passenger front seat, the face plate is mounted up high by the interior rear view mirror, and I ran a cat 6 cable to a remote mounted cat 6 plug down by the center console. Plug the mic in there, and no dangling cords to screw with......unplug it and toss it in the console and peepers from the outside can't really see where/if there's a radio in there. Super flexible, great functionality and just plain nice to use.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
All I know is he said his GMRS radio was set to high power - I have no more details than that.

Edit: Ham was using VHF, which should also in theory work better than UHF in the backwoods of Idaho.

Not at all a scientific test, just sharing my experience. The difference in reach was quite siginificant.
VHF and UHF in the 2m and 70cm bands are very close in wavelength and have zero relevance between the two bands for propagation under 75 miles regardless of terrain and vegetation. we run a weekly emergency QRP (under 10 watts FM/SSB) exercise on both 2m and 70 cm and get consistent results up to 75 miles… after 75 miles VHF starts to make a difference, but not by as much as you are claiming… the difference is the amount of power being put out, and antenna selection. Assuming the Yasue was a dual band radio it would have a high power output of 50 to 100 watts while the GMRS radio would be less than 50 watts (most common ones are less than 15 watts PEP). A directional antenna such as a yaggi or quad would give the best range while a ghost antenna is about equivalent to a dummy load. A true 1/4 or 1/2 wave antenna mounted on top of the rig offers better range even at QRP levels than a rubber duck or ghost antenna.
My point in all of this is your experiment isn’t scientific, because in order to prove VHF is better than UHF, both radios need to be putting out the same amount of power into the same coax and the same antenna.

The furthest FRS contact I have made was with a pair of broken Cobra units. The antennas had gotten stepped on or something fell on them braking the antenna. I soldered a SMA connector onto each radios antenna connection at the PCB so I could use a home made tape measure antenna for both radios. I then gave one radio to my buddy who was camping on one ridge and I was camping on the other ridge 30 miles away as the crow flies. We were on channel 20 which is 2 watts (verified by my power meter) with a lot of vegetation between our two locations.

TeachAO

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Glenwood, Washington, United States
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Oldenburg
Member #

Thanks for everyone's help choosing a radio. There are so many options, it was nice to hear others' thoughts/ideas. There are only so many things I could get from Youtube.

I have ordered the KG-1000G, the Comet CA2x4sr antenna, and the Gamiviti bracket for my driver's side. I also tried to get the spring, but it seems to be back ordered everywhere. It is estimated to be to me by the end of November!

Z Adventures

Rank VI
Investor

Pathfinder III

Georgia, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Zeilenga
Member #

The Wouxun is not any harder to use as a basic radio. Turn it ON, select channel and talk just like a Midland. The question is do you have any use now or in the future for the additional features. Plus if you get the Wouxun you get to be as confused as the rest of us as to how to pronounce it when you talk to others!

• Haha
Reactions: Ubiety and TeachAO

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
Thanks for everyone's help choosing a radio. There are so many options, it was nice to hear others' thoughts/ideas. There are only so many things I could get from Youtube.

I have ordered the KG-1000G, the Comet CA2x4sr antenna, and the Gamiviti bracket for my driver's side. I also tried to get the spring, but it seems to be back ordered everywhere. It is estimated to be to me by the end of November!
You'll want to add an antenna cable as well. Nakman at Gamiviti seems to be a fan of the Comet cma-ck-3m to go with his bracket, I don't have any experience with it since I use NMO antennas instead.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I got the KG1000G Plus "for Christmas". I have to say that I'm really happy with it so far.

I'm clearly hitting repeaters 40 miles away. It's pared with the Midland MXTA26 and it's mounted on the hood in a terribly sub optimal place. So far I've defaulted to medium power for most comms and it's run well.

This is all of course limited time installed. The most comparable radio I've had with it in the past was the Midland mxt400 with a browning antenna.

My biggest gripe is the software to program it. I haven't take the time to look at the saved file format yet to see if I can program it that way.

Before anyone asks, the battery is also for the VHF/UHF dual band that I haven't installed yet.

IMG_0841.jpg

Attachments

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
I did not have to tune my Comet as it had a great SWR after being installed; though your mileage may vary. As far as interference goes that is likely very dependent on the lights that you run, I have heard horror stories about cheap LED lights causing all sorts of problems. But I would try to keep the antenna as "isolated" as possible anyway. I run something _like_ that lip mount that mounts where the hood meets the fender.

View attachment 237684
Looking at your antenna height...would you consider that too low if a rack and a RTT were mounted?

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I did not have to tune my Comet as it had a great SWR after being installed; though your mileage may vary. As far as interference goes that is likely very dependent on the lights that you run, I have heard horror stories about cheap LED lights causing all sorts of problems. But I would try to keep the antenna as "isolated" as possible anyway. I run something _like_ that lip mount that mounts where the hood meets the fender.

View attachment 237684
Looking at your antenna height...would you consider that too low if a rack and a RTT were mounted?
Electrical interference has caused me more problems than mounting my antennas on my hood ever has.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
In a perfect world I would love to have a taller antenna mounted "dead center" on my truck but antenna mounting points on Jeeps are limited, lots of fiberglass up top. I don't run a roof rack or RTT by choice but doing so sure would open up the options for additional mounting locations. That said I often find myself surrounded by foliage / downed trees and am constantly whacking my antenna in its current location - any higher placement would be problematic. All of that said I find the current location to be good when compared to past vehicles and antennas that I have had; I don't _think_ that a roof rack and/or RTT would change that. My current (HAM) setup performs well for me.

Will be working on installing a _real_ GMRS radio (MXT575) this weekend and am planning on running the included small antenna for the time being; thinking I'll just run the antenna coax out the back window (when I need it) and place the short antenna on the top of the canopy for the time being. Will likely mount another Comet on the passenger side (matching what I already have on the driver's side) in time since that has worked well for me. Only time will tell; hahaha.

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
In a perfect world I would love to have a taller antenna mounted "dead center" on my truck but antenna mounting points on Jeeps are limited, lots of fiberglass up top. I don't run a roof rack or RTT by choice but doing so sure would open up the options for additional mounting locations. That said I often find myself surrounded by foliage / downed trees and am constantly whacking my antenna in its current location - any higher placement would be problematic. All of that said I find the current location to be good when compared to past vehicles and antennas that I have had; I don't _think_ that a roof rack and/or RTT would change that. My current (HAM) setup performs well for me.

Will be working on installing a _real_ GMRS radio (MXT575) this weekend and am planning on running the included small antenna for the time being; thinking I'll just run the antenna coax out the back window (when I need it) and place the short antenna on the top of the canopy for the time being. Will likely mount another Comet on the passenger side (matching what I already have on the driver's side) in time since that has worked well for me. Only time will tell; hahaha.
Hey Greg

Thanks for your input. Doing all my research now before investing...heck I don't even know if I can get a ham license here (China) but I'm gonna give it my best shot.

Anyways another questionif you have the time...would a RTT interfere with reception if setup and higher than your antenna?

Looking at a Yaesu ft-6000r mobile and a Yaesu ft-65r for a handheld...and looking to get maximum signal between the two. Have no idea availability of repeaters here.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thanks for your input. Doing all my research now before investing...heck I don't even know if I can get a ham license here (China) but I'm gonna give it my best shot.
I have noticed a lot of APRS stations in China so somebody appears to be running HAM setups there (lots of TCPIP setups but also see some RF setups and lots of digis/igates) ;)

Anyways another questionif you have the time...would a RTT interfere with reception if setup and higher than your antenna?
That is really hard to say as RF propagation is a bit "magical" ;) My _guess_ is that you would likely not notice it unless running a really short antenna that is really blocked. It also depends what you are going for - long distances to repeaters/etc or shorter distances to others in your group. Sorry that I don't have a better answer for you.

Reactions: Sea Diamond

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Got my overhead MOLLE panel and MXT575 mounted this weekend - still need to connect power and antenna. Will be going with the included antenna for a while as it is just easier that way and will give me time to think. ;)

1673879988277.png

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
I have noticed a lot of APRS stations in China so somebody appears to be running HAM setups there (lots of TCPIP setups but also see some RF setups and lots of digis/igates) ;)

That is really hard to say as RF propagation is a bit "magical" ;) My _guess_ is that you would likely not notice it unless running a really short antenna that is really blocked. It also depends what you are going for - long distances to repeaters/etc or shorter distances to others in your group. Sorry that I don't have a better answer for you.
This is good...definately helps and provokes enough thought. Will go with a long antenna...seldom encounter overhead obstacles.

Thanks

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
This is good...definately helps and provokes enough thought. Will go with a long antenna...seldom encounter overhead obstacles.

Thanks
A couple of things I like about the Comet antenna that I have is that it can easily be folded down and it has a spring kit available. I fold it down for really low stuff (my garage for instance) and rely on the spring giving way when bushwhacking through the occasional low spots. Good luck!