• HTML tutorial

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

Hi Guys!

I've been struggling with options for bed storage that can take a beating. On my last trip on Mojave Road, it really made me reconsider the way I currently have things. Stuff was flying all over the place. I have attached a photo to what I am currently working with. Not much room for boxes as the tire creates an uneven surface
- I would preferably like to have the rotopax accessible in the back of the truck but of course know that may not be the best option.
- Tire has to stay for now, it is too big to fit under the truck unfortunately.
- RTIC Cooler sits in front of the tire so that I have access to the cooler simply by lifting the soft topper opening.
- Jack is not hard mounted, it was mounted to the inside of the bed but it was too heavy and ripped out while wheeling unfortunately.

I would like to hear what some of your suggestions would be?
Current situation:

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Are there any roof racks available for your setup? You could move a lot of stuff out of the bed that way.

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

Are there any roof racks available for your setup? You could move a lot of stuff out of the bed that way.
There's not much for my truck as far as roof racks. I'm trying to keep the center of gravity down as much as possible. I am doing a pre-runner/overland combo so some activities will be at higher speeds.

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

Would some of those L Tracks like airlines use for cargo management work?
I've considered those, but I'm thinking ill have to build a platform over the tire since everything currently sits at an awkward angle and doesn't tie down very well. I was also looking into using duffle bags rather than boxes so that they can be stuffed into the awkward corners on the sides of the tires.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I would move the jack to the front of the bed and re-mount it. Having it between the axles will help reduce the forces on the mount and hopefully make it last longer. Plus, it isn't exactly a high-use item, so it would clear up space at the back of the bed for more frequently used items, like food crates, clothing, and camp supplies.

I would look at adding more tie-downs and possibly using Plano or other latching cases to compartmentalize your gear and lash it to the floor.

Reactions: goleee33