Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
Help me choose my next dual band VHF/UHF radio!
My old Kenwood is finally giving up the ghost.

I have narrowed it down to the following radios.

ICOM ID-4100A
ICOM ID-5100A
YEASU FTM-400DR
KENWOOD TM-D710GA

Any help, advice, experience or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Daryl
KD7SIE

Reactions: Ben Kim

markwths

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wodonga, Australia
Member #

Hi Daryl,
I use the ID-5100 in my FJ. It has a large control head and very easy to use touch screen. It will depend where you are mounting it and if you have the room. The ID -5100 also has a Cross band repeater setting which is easy to program.
The ID -4100, you can keep the control head attached to the main unit so its all in one. The ID5100 is 2 separate units and cannot be attached together.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Mark VK3ASC

Reactions: Phessor

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I also have the ID-5100. It’s a great radio. If you want to use a app on your phone or tablet, the icom app only operates on android for the 5100. The 4100s app runs on both android and iOS.

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
Hi Daryl,
I use the ID-5100 in my FJ. It has a large control head and very easy to use touch screen. It will depend where you are mounting it and if you have the room. The ID -5100 also has a Cross band repeater setting which is easy to program.
The ID -4100, you can keep the control head attached to the main unit so its all in one. The ID5100 is 2 separate units and cannot be attached together.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Mark VK3ASC
How do you like the screen, is it easy to read? How is it in bright sunlight and at night?

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
I also have the ID-5100. It’s a great radio. If you want to use a app on your phone or tablet, the icom app only operates on android for the 5100. The 4100s app runs on both android and iOS.
How do you like the screen, is it easy to read? How is it in bright sunlight and at night?

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

The TM-D710GA is a fantastic 2M/70CM rig. I could probably get you a screaming deal on one being a Kenwood Dealer. I can also get darn good deals on Icom products as well if that is what you choose to go with. I personally use a CB and back it with a TK-7180 and EF Johnson VP6000 series HT.

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
The TM-D710GA is a fantastic 2M/70CM rig. I could probably get you a screaming deal on one being a Kenwood Dealer. I can also get darn good deals on Icom products as well if that is what you choose to go with. I personally use a CB and back it with a TK-7180 and EF Johnson VP6000 series HT.
Message sent

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Help me choose my next dual band VHF/UHF radio!
My old Kenwood is finally giving up the ghost.

I have narrowed it down to the following radios.

ICOM ID-4100A
ICOM ID-5100A
YEASU FTM-400DR
KENWOOD TM-D710GA

Any help, advice, experience or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Daryl
KD7SIE

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I went with the Kenwood TM-D710GA and mounted it in an Outback roof console for a Hilux.

How do you like the Kenwood now that you've had it a while? I am trying to decide between the Kenwood TM-D710GA, the Icom ID-5100 and the Yaesu FTM-400XDR.

Thanks