I need a secret hiding spot near LA...help!

• HTML tutorial

Fatguyinalittlejeep

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Avondale, AZ
Member #

I've been working out of the LA area for the past few months. I'm getting sick of the hotel life. I've been pondering the thought of bringing my rig out and base camping from it during the week and then venturing out on the weekends while I'm off. It would need to be somewhere safe enough to leave my jeep during the day and return to in the evenings. North of LA would be best.

Let's see how good the community is.... who's got a secret hiding spot they are willing to share??

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: HammPhoto

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

I could probably think of a few spots, but I'm a bit confused as to your intentions. Are you leaving it each day (in another vehicle, or moty)?

How long do you intend to "disperse camp" like this?

I'd be hesitant to leave a vehicle anywhere, even remotely parked, regularly for more than a few days.

Bad people catch onto patterns and take advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
wow, this map brings me back to my days of wheeling and hiking up the Big Tujunga Canyon back in the mid 70s and our occasional trips up to Big Bear, out through Silverado Canyon or out into the Mojave Desert. Even back then I would have never left a basecamp unattended anywhere near the Los Angeles Basin and I certainly would not today. Good luck in your quest.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

How about an RV Park or something? Not the best during the week, but beats a hotel, they may have showers and that gets your rig out there for your weekend adventures. Plus you can feel more secure leaving your Jeep there during the day. Just a thought you might want to pursue..

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

Maybe you could try finding a camping site in the Angeles National Forest? I'm not sure how much they would cost or anything, but it's away from the hustle bustle of LA. I agree with everyone else though, be very careful leaving a base camp unattended.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I wouldn’t leave anything alone in the woods on a daily basis like that, but there’s a ton of cool Campgrounds on the Coast that’d be nicer to stay at than a hotel. There’s a way to get notifications of cancellations on the state parks website since everything is always booked up months in advance. Weekdays wouldn’t be too much of a problem, but if you can score a weekend cancellation it’d probably get you two weeks somewhere cool. There’s a couple of Campgrounds near Malibu that looked nice but I haven’t tried yet.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk