Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Its time for me to upgrade my wife into her own overlanding rig. She has her heart set on a 4Runner. She doesnt have her heart set on an exact one yet, we are just entering the research stage at this point. And as I (the lead mechanic and bread maker) have been researching the Runners, I quickly realized how little I know about them. Which has led me to several huge questions.
What is the generation break downs?
What engines and or generations were known for head issues?
How common are the head issues?
Is there a perminant fix for the said head issue?
What are the pros and cons of 2nd to 5th generation 4Runners?

I live in the Pacific North West, so rust isnt too bad around here, so what else do I need to be looking at in a used 4Runner?

Last question for now and probably already know the answer but want to hear others opinions.
If I found say a 1998-2000 4Runner for under 1500 with a V-6 and the add describes a blown head gasket, but the rest of the rig looks sound in the pictures do I even entertain the idea of purchasing the rig knowing I probably need to replace the heads as well? Rough esimate on how much it would cost to replace the heads myself. While I am in there what else should I fix? I know check the cylinders for scoring, wear on the cam, probably a good idea to replace timing components, water pump, thermostat, radiator, thermostat, heater core, and maybe the fan clutch while I have the top end apart. Or should I just set aside enough money to rebuild the engine from the get go?
Also on this hypothetical rig, its going to have an automatic transmission. Are there any known problems with the transmission that I wouldnt be able to tell existed before fixing the engine problems?

I know you guys are going to ask what the over all goals for the rig are going to be.
The 4Runner is going to be a daily driver, seeing mostly city driving to the grocery store, 30 mile round trips taking our daughter to and from school along with visiting my dad on weekends. Its going to be the dedicated family rig. The 4 runner is going to see mild trail use, might pull my 12' aluminum boat to the reservoirs for weekend camping trips at camp grounds, but nothing too agressive. For our typical overlanding expiditions we have my Bronco that is getting fully built for play, and winter use to get me to and from work (if I ever go back to work).
First and foremost we want a reliable rig that will fit the three of us compfortably even on long road trips. And we both feel that the 4Runner will fit our needs, and if purchased smartly can be achiveable with my limited income.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

2nd gens with the 3.0 v6 earned the nickname ‘three point oh no’ from the head gasket issues. I only know that cuz we had a pickup that blew them. When we had the engine replaced we didnt know about the 3.4 which has a better reputation for reliability.

Reactions: Wallygator

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
2nd gens with the 3.0 v6 earned the nickname ‘three point oh no’ from the head gasket issues. I only know that cuz we had a pickup that blew them. When we had the engine replaced we didnt know about the 3.4 which has a better reputation for reliability.
Did they fix the 3.0hh no issue in the 3rd gen?

Reactions: Wallygator

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

We have a 2001 4Runner (3rd gen). We got it brand new and it was the family rig and have put about 300k miles on it. It has lived a HARD life on our ranch and going up and down the 4x4 only 4low road to our mountain cabin as well as MANY long haul road trips down to Nevada and Arizona for family. Transmission went out at 240k miles but that's the only thing to ever happen. Still going strong and runs great (with a rebuilt transmission of course). From my experience in the various 4Runner clubs I'm part of also, it seems like the 3rd gen 4Runners are fantastic for reliability and durability. I have not heard of any complaints of the 4th gen or 5th gen 4Runner either. We also have a 2015 4Runner (5th gen) and love it. 127k miles and no issues whatsoever.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
we have been looking at 4Runners liketthese 2

Or this one

More likely the first one because it has the 3.4, although the second one is a very high possibility if the head gasket/ heads arent to expensive to replace.

Swag Engineer

Rank II

Enthusiast II

The 3.4 at 330k is a lot better than the 3.slow at 186k with a blown gasket. I would spend the extra $500. I have a '95 (last year of the 2nd gen) and although my head gasket hasn't blown, I can't get any speed up a hill to save my life. If you are on your way down I-5 over Sexton Pass, Grants Pass, or over the Siskiyou Summit, you will be going about 35 to 40 MPH. Going to Lake Tahoe from Sacramento, I can pass semi trucks, but everything else passes me.

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

we have been looking at 4Runners liketthese 2

Or this one

More likely the first one because it has the 3.4, although the second one is a very high possibility if the head gasket/ heads arent to expensive to replace.
I wish I knew more about the 2nd gen 4Runner's but I don't sadly. But like said above I've heard people complain about how underpowered the 3.0's are.

Swag Engineer

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Thanks for the reply. I'm keeping my eye out for a 2006 Ltd V8, I think you got an amazing truck that will last for years. The V8 is very durable (but has a timing belt instead of a chain, so it should be replaced every 200k). How has the XREAS suspension held up? It comes on the Sport and Ltd.

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks for the reply. I'm keeping my eye out for a 2006 Ltd V8, I think you got an amazing truck that will last for years. The V8 is very durable (but has a timing belt instead of a chain, so it should be replaced every 200k). How has the XREAS suspension held up? It comes on the Sport and Ltd.
We just picked it up last week. I don’t have a clue to what you mean by the XREAS suspension... it’s stock, u touched and 277,000 miles... just did the timing belt Monday because @Sandpoint Steve recommended it Whalen he looked at it on Saturday.