I have an M416 and thinking of selling but would like opinions.

• HTML tutorial

Flying fuzz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, WA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
C
Member #

This might be lengthy but it will be detailed so just hang tight... or skip to the bottom :-)

I have a 1967 Stevens M416, the first owner purchased it from DRMO in 1974 or something like that and I am owner number 2 so it's in pretty good shape. I had always wanted one and two years ago I purchased it to tow behind my 2018 Tacoma so that I could hit logging roads and have some fun while still being nimble and agile, it has an ARB Simpson III RTT mounted and the trailer contains all of my gear, I am using a Goal Zero Yeti 1250 as my power source and an ARB fridge for a cooler. Then I bought a 2019 Tundra and I am no longer positive that this trailer is a good fit now due to the full size truck.

This past weekend I attempted to go to an OB meet, my first way point took me to an active logging road where I stopped after seeing the No trespass sign, I had to back up and this trailer with the short tongue jack knifes so easily, I ended up putting the corner into a tail light, cost of a new tail light is only $103 so I am not too upset over that but the 15 point turn to get in the right direction was frustrating while I had just been warned a logging truck was enroute downhill. The second way point took me along a small single lane lake road and then I was supposed to take another side road which ended up gated closed, time to back up again, 15 point turn around. Third way point was an hour away, by the time I got there it was dark and the potential turn was straight into the forest and it looked like nobody had driven that in years, as I was supposed to be meeting a group of people I was certain this wasn't the way they went. I had been on the road since about 1230 and it was now 1730, and the route said 1.5 hours, I was frustrated, hungry and it was pitch black so I went home...

So I am now actively looking into a bed rack to mount a RTT, I am thinking of getting a Leitner Forged that is soon to be released (not the original version) and purchasing an Alucab Expedition 3, or I may keep the ARB. The Tundra has plenty of bed storage for my gear (I also have a DECKED drawer system) the interior has ample storage as well, I have no kids and just two dogs. I was thinking of getting a Go fast camper but the cost adds up quickly once you add options and paint, plus the year+ wait time.

This "trip" really made me miss my 5th Gen 4runner, that thing was a beast and with it's shorter wheel base I bet that trailer combo would have been excellent...

So the opinions I am seeking are: Do full size trucks and small trailers on back roads not mix? For a full size vehicle is a bed rack/RTT a more effective setup? Is there a solution I haven't listed?

I appreciate your time reading this, I know I went into more detail than probably needed.

V/r

Tom

Attachments

Reactions: GHQ1

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Sounds like you need more time with the trailer in the mountains, it Looks like your rtt rack setup might just swap onto the truck. If the price would be right, I would be interested in just the trailer

Flying fuzz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, WA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
C
Member #

Thanks for the reply. I agree that some wheel time wouldn’t hurt but the physical size of the vehicle and the roads I want to go on won’t change. I need to extend the tongue and it would reverse easier but not sure I want to put $ into it if I’m still on tight trails. My original idea was extend the tongue and put on a Maxcoupler.
My questions still stand, full-size vehicle and small trailer. Is that preferred or does a rack system work better?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I used to drive a second gen full size extended cab Dodge Ram pulling a 14 foot utility trailer without problems... and I have taken that setup down many a tight trail. Back when I ran this setup, a rtt On a rack wasn’t an option. I generally set up a base camp and take excursions from there, and my cap camper was used if I ventured too far from base camp.
for my Bronco, I’m going full out trailer, and using backpacking tents as the backup. I personally have a hard time with ladders, so going rtt Still isn’t my preferred meathod.C8355D2D-0894-4798-AF7F-A80D1AD948FE.jpeg0B17C21E-27AC-4334-BCEA-CC719840C089.jpeg271D6949-5BA8-446B-B7E3-70454CA48BAB.jpegCB9252D2-6544-4AAE-BF65-6751A198BE44.jpeg597596DE-03C4-495C-A95E-DA706401E073.jpegFE6C3059-1466-468A-AEC5-CFF3A45A1001.jpeg

Flying fuzz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, WA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
C
Member #

Thanks for the responses, I used to tow a 30' trailer regularly with a Dodge 2500 while Wildland fire fighting so I have towing/trailer experience on remote roads... this short ass 2' long tongue is what screws me up for some reason, I guess I just need to take it out more when I'm not in a rush to get to a location. I'm still thinking a bed rack/RTT might be a superior solution but I appreciate your opinions :grinning:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Like I said in my first post, if you do sell, I would be interested in just the trailer.

Anvil Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pedee, OR, USA
First Name
jason
Last Name
smith
Member #

I purchased my Bantam trailer 2 years ago and I am in the middle of a rebuild/redesign. I had the front end lengthened by 16" to the tongue and added a max coupler. Removed the original fenders and fabricated a one piece fender storage to it. I've got a new rear bumper with spare tire swing arm to be added yet. Point is that it the purpose and vision is there then go for it. If your just not feeling it then walk away. Good luck. 20181015_182538.jpeg20181108_125911.jpeg20191113_114327.jpeg

Anvil Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pedee, OR, USA
First Name
jason
Last Name
smith
Member #

Another note is that I don't have a full size vehicle, but a 2015 JKU with a closer wheel base. No issues with mine so I couldn't comment.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I purchased my Bantam trailer 2 years ago and I am in the middle of a rebuild/redesign. I had the front end lengthened by 16" to the tongue and added a max coupler. Removed the original fenders and fabricated a one piece fender storage to it. I've got a new rear bumper with spare tire swing arm to be added yet. Point is that it the purpose and vision is there then go for it. If your just not feeling it then walk away. Good luck. View attachment 131946View attachment 131947View attachment 131948
I love where you are going with this

mmp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lugoff, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Powell
Member #

I have a M416 with RTT also and we constantly rethinking the best way to go about setting things up. The short tongue and pintle hitch on these trailers make them "squirrely" when backing up. I can park my 16' cargo trailer much easier than the M416. I put a hitch on the front of my truck(Silverado 3500) and so will push it into place with the truck when going in tight places. That way I can watch it and compensate for its movement easier. It's not as bad when I move it with my Jeep XJ though. Good luck with your decisions. Nice thing about this hobby is there a lot of ways to do it and none of them are wrong.

Reactions: Flying fuzz

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Is the track width the same as your trucks? If not then sell the trailer and start over.. if the track width is the same, then by all means, keep the trailer, lengthen your tongue and carry on.. I have a trailer, same track width as my tow vehicle, I have another smaller trailer that wraps around seemingly very quickly, because it is narrower than my tow vehicle .. BTW, I’ve been dragging trailers since the very early 70s. No better way to go IMO

Flying fuzz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, WA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
C
Member #

Is the track width the same as your trucks? If not then sell the trailer and start over.. if the track width is the same, then by all means, keep the trailer, lengthen your tongue and carry on.. I have a trailer, same track width as my tow vehicle, I have another smaller trailer that wraps around seemingly very quickly, because it is narrower than my tow vehicle .. BTW, I’ve been dragging trailers since the very early 70s. No better way to go IMO
No the M416 is more narrow than the Tundra I don't have specs off hand but when it is hooked up it looks small connected to the Tundra, when I had my 2018 Tacoma it was much closer in width, I didn't think track would be part of the equation, that is interesting. Thank you

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
No the M416 is more narrow than the Tundra I don't have specs off hand but when it is hooked up it looks small connected to the Tundra, when I had my 2018 Tacoma it was much closer in width, I didn't think track would be part of the equation, that is interesting. Thank you
Primarily because one sees the trailer after it begins to turn while backing up . if it is the same width as the tow vehicle one sees the slightest variance immediately and can correct for it. It’s just a lot easier to back up.. my Landcruiser is a bit wider than my Jeep was. Fortunately a set of 1.5” wheel spacers widened it out to match the Cruzer... on a side note, about 15 years ago there was an off-road trailer company in Colorado that closed down after a few short years.. The price was right, the trailers were top shelf quality. However, they got it wrong because the trailers were narrower than the Jeep TJ making them nearly impossible to back up on a narrow trail..

Reactions: Flying fuzz