Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I've got to treat the handle on all my axes this summer. My truck axe's head is my Dad's Boy Scout axe from his child hood that my Grandpa bought him. Grandpa rehandled it sometime over the years and it's in good shape, but could use some linseed oil on the handle for longevity. My splitting maul and chopping axe were both Grandpa's.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

I've got to treat the handle on all my axes this summer. My truck axe's head is my Dad's Boy Scout axe from his child hood that my Grandpa bought him. Grandpa rehandled it sometime over the years and it's in good shape, but could use some linseed oil on the handle for longevity. My splitting maul and chopping axe were both Grandpa's.
I have a couple of Grampa's old tools. Those old time tools can be a bit heavy but they last forever! Love it!

Rustyburbin from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban

Reactions: TerryD

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

I don't care for varnish on an axe, it tends to give me blisters, no idea why. Boiled linseed oil or tongue oil is my preference wood tool handles. For axes boiled linseed.
Yep, I hate varnish on most of my tools. Any quality axe should come un-varnished and just treat with linseed oil.

Reactions: caleath