I broke my fj cruiser

• HTML tutorial

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

So on the mojave road this weekend i beat the snot out my 2010 fj I have had it since January. Lets give you a little back story 2 weeks after i bought it a neighborhood kid rear ended it infront of my house, bent the rearend a busted up the rear bumper pretty good. Nine weeks later of fighting with his crappy insurance i finally got it back. Now fast forward to the mojave road after 3 days of just hammering the crap out of it driving like i stole it as well as my buddies driving it like a rental car we headed home. About 200 miles into the drive home we started to notice a howling noise. I took it to toyota since it has a warranty and they tell me my diff went bad do to water in the oil good thing is its covered. We went thru the water crossing but it was way below the diff beather and can't figure out how it got water in it when my cousins truck has lower breathers got no water. Now i wait for it to be fixed so i can go on another epic ride.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Time to extend the diff breathers. Even if the water level is lower than the breather, the turbulence from the tires and other parts under the truck can push water up to the breather. Combine that with the sudden dose of water cooling creating negative pressure in the diff and you end up with water in the gear oil.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Will water in the rear diff really have caused significant issues in that short of period of time? I agree, you need a breather extension, but it seems like damage would have taken longer to accrue after taking on water in the diff than 24 hours or less.

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

I'm with you on being lazy... I've had the parts to extend my diff breathers for months now and still haven't gotten around to it. Partially due to it raining non stop for the last couple of months and secondly because i'm just lazy :P Been through too many water crossing though. I need to make it happen.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Will water in the rear diff really have caused significant issues in that short of period of time? I agree, you need a breather extension, but it seems like damage would have taken longer to accrue after taking on water in the diff than 24 hours or less.
He drove it at speed for 200 miles. He likely blew the seals with the pressure created by heated water.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I used to have people say I shouldn't wheel a vehicle while it was still under warranty... my reply was that it was the perfect time!!!