I am planning a trip from Michigan to Seattle along i90, Tips?

• HTML tutorial

Bluewater Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Goodells, Michigan
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Woolman
Member #

No matter how you travel it, the central prairie is just that, prairie. You will gain an appreciation for those who made the trip in wagon trains. One route you might find of interest is to travel on I94 West to Glendive, MT. then take Hwy 200N and Hwy 13 to join Highway 2 West. Following Hwy 2 West will take you through the Blackfeet Nation and Glacier National Park with lots of pretty good places of interest in between. At Sandpoint, ID you could turn South to on Hwy 95 to Lake Coeur d'Alene (a sight worth taking in). A short run on I90 West to Spokane, WA then North on Hwy 95 to Kettle Falls, WA where you can pick up Hwy 20 West and stay on it all the way to the coast of Washington. Western Montana to the Washington coast is filled with geological, historic and scenic attractions. Check this site for some ideas: Route 97
We just returned from a road trip to Denver using I90. It is really one beat up high traffic corridor that I intend to avoid for ever more...
I am overwhelmed with info and other routes to take and it seems to be the majority of people saying to stay off of 90 so thanks fir the info and i am currently planning other routes

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am overwhelmed with info and other routes to take and it seems to be the majority of people saying to stay off of 90 so thanks fir the info and i am currently planning other routes
Not necessarily stay off of 90, once you get out of the plains I would look at other routs to enjoy the scenery... through the plains it doesn’t matter how far north or south you go, it all looks the same for hours upon hours.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Not necessarily stay off of 90, once you get out of the plains I would look at other routs to enjoy the scenery... through the plains it doesn’t matter how far north or south you go, it all looks the same for hours upon hours.
I just took I-90 from Yakima to Seattle and there is plenty to see just from the interstate... if the snow was lower, it would be even better... but for your timeline looks like the I is going to be your best bet.

Attachments

Bluewater Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Goodells, Michigan
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Woolman
Member #

That pics amazing from the e-way and i still have a month of global warming before i head out there so it may be even better than that as far as weather
Thank you for the info

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That pics amazing from the e-way and i still have a month of global warming before i head out there so it may be even better than that as far as weather
Thank you for the info
I wish I would have gotten pictures of Snoqualimie Pass... the Lake up on top was gorgeous with the frozen tundra surrounding it... well worth the drive imho

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I'd hop off I-90 and head into yakima and then to the NE side of Mount Rainier through the White Pass Scenic Byway to Buckley and Puyallup (pronounced Pew-al-up) then out to I-5 north into the city or stay on the east side of Lake Washington and head up Hwy-167 to I-405 back to I-90 and 10 minutes west across the floating bridge. The north side of Mount Rainier is gorgeous. Waterfalls, old growth forest, boulders the size of city blocks. Its stunning.

Used to ride one of my bikes from Seattle and go clockwise around the mountain and climb to Paradise. Its worth the trip up. Ran out of gas and didn't realize that there was no fuel up there. I coasted, in neutral all the way down the south and west side of the mountain to a little gas station... only to find they only took cash. I had maybe $2 and it got me past the Whittaker brothers compound into a proper gas station. Lesson learned.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Whos from out west that could fill me in on what the weather is usually like the beginning of April im thinking rain but Michigan has little as far as elevation so i have a feeling you all are going to tell me theres 2’ of snow still that early in Spring
Simple. Chilly and wet. Summer doesnt start until July 5th. Its always cold and raining on July 4th!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

i kind of figured that this early in the season it will be nothing but rain, i hope not but it probably will
Nothing wrong with rain with the right gear. A good heater or furnace, big awning, space to dry gear, visit the coin laundry more often, look for hot springs, think Manhattans, not Miller time.

Tenting can be miserable tho.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

PAINT, You have my attention. I plan to drive out to a place near Bozeman Montana from Boston in October. Never been past the Mississippi, though I have been to Chicago. I will follow this thread for sure, since a lot of the advice here may inform me as well, inasmuch as it relates east of the big mountains. I plan to take 90 from Boston to Chi-town, and then further west I'm going to take "a bead on the northern plains and just roll that power on" 94 west. Since I'll be out near 191 for a few days, I may head south through Yellowstone while I'm so close. Then hit 90 back. Or vice versa.

Might not mind taking an overland trail while I'm out that way.

Have to admit I'm surprised nobody mentioned Devil's Tower to you. If you take 90 into Wyoming, break right onto route 14 (?) at Sundance. Then 24 (?) to Devil's Tower. I plan to see it on the way back.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

As you clear the Parries of SD the fun really starts at the Badlands National Park. Come in on the West Side and just before the entrance to the park you'll see a radio tower on your left. Free paces to camp along the 'Wall'.

At least drive through Deadwood SD (you won't have time to go in Custer State park, real shame..) and head to Devils Tower to overnight (paid site in the Park). If you have never I would say Yellowstone over Glacier (yet you could do the other on your way back). Camp in the Park or NF outside, either way a must stop!

You'll catch back up to Rt 90 and through Coeur d'Alene. I agree with the other that mention this, worth seeing! Believe that was the Loho National Forest with again plenty of areas to camp in.

We jumped off Rt 90 again as we entered Washington State and stayed outside Mt Rainier National Park. This put us through Olympia (missing Seattle traffic) and entering Olympic National. We headed to South Beach (just north of Queets) on Rt 101. Most seem to go to Kalaloch, but we really liked South Beach.

We return tripped back through Canada and stayed up in Jasper (at the Ice Fields). You probably don't have the time to venture that far, yet coming back through Canada working the Rockies back is an awesome run!

I enjoyed that run we did and really did like PNY, yet the Canadian Rockies stole my heart! That's an area you should plan a exclusive trip to.. much to see and be done.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels!

Reactions: getandy

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

PAINT, You have my attention. I plan to drive out to a place near Bozeman Montana from Boston in October. Never been past the Mississippi, though I have been to Chicago. I will follow this thread for sure, since a lot of the advice here may inform me as well, inasmuch as it relates east of the big mountains. I plan to take 90 from Boston to Chi-town, and then further west I'm going to take "a bead on the northern plains and just roll that power on" 94 west. Since I'll be out near 191 for a few days, I may head south through Yellowstone while I'm so close. Then hit 90 back. Or vice versa.

Have to admit I'm surprised nobody mentioned Devil's Tower to you. If you take 90 into Wyoming, break right onto route 14 (?) at Sundance. Then 24 (?) to Devil's Tower. I plan to see it on the way back.
Andrew, you should take a look at going north in Vermont and traveling across Canada to Sault St Marie! I do that now and love it. Puts you in the Michigan UP and a few Nationals to drive through. This is my route for this May as I go west again. This is mostly Forest Roads!!

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 10.18.23 AM.png

Reactions: Bluewater Overland

getandy

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Dakota
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jackson
Plan to spend a day in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, etc. Devil's Tower near Sundance, Wyoming.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Andrew, you should take a look at going north in Vermont and traveling across Canada to Sault St Marie! I do that now and love it. Puts you in the Michigan UP and a few Nationals to drive through. This is my route for this May as I go west again. This is mostly Forest Roads!!

View attachment 143531
RJ

Sorry about the long post:

Thanks for the suggestion, RJ, I really hadn't thought to go through Canada but looking at the map without national lines it's as good a route as any. How long in hours is that trip you outlined? As long as it fits into my time frame I listed below, I'll probably do it. Even if it adds an entire day, the time frame works. I've been I-90 Boston to Cleveland time and again. And I've been to Chicago. So a change of scenery could be in order. Like you said, I could get a few more parks, go through parts of Canada I've never been, and still see everything in the US that I intend.

See if this shakes out? My previous route clocked in at about 36 hours non stop, whether by 90 or 94. Then I added time for stops (12 hrs) putting me at 48 hours. Realistically that's still kind of a fast pace, so I added yet another 24 hours to give us breathing room so we can just enjoy the trip, or divert, nap, or take some time to marvel at something and still arrive a full 4 days before the wedding. I was going to drive 94 there (3 days), spend 5 or 6 days out there to see my nephew get married and head down 191 through Yellowstone & The Tetons with him and his bride. Then use 3 days to get home, by hooking up to 90, seeing Devil's Tower and the Badlands on the return trip. Whichever way I drive in, I will drive the other route back. Leaving maybe 2 days to unpack and relax at home before I have to head to work.

That doesnt leave me a lot of time at any one park, but at least I can ride through them and stop for some "wow" factor. But I'm arriving on Tuesday for a Saturday wedding, so I have plenty of wiggle room there especially if I reverse the loop.

I dont know if that will all be possible, but that's the plan, with the addition of the route you mapped through Canada and the Lake Superior State Forest.

The truck cap I just put on will likely come in handy and save us some $ on the ride.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

RJ

Sorry about the long post:

Thanks for the suggestion, RJ, I really hadn't thought to go through Canada but looking at the map without national lines it's as good a route as any. How long in hours is that trip you outlined? As long as it fits into my time frame I listed below, I'll probably do it. Even if it adds an entire day, the time frame works. I've been I-90 Boston to Cleveland time and again. And I've been to Chicago. So a change of scenery could be in order. Like you said, I could get a few more parks, go through parts of Canada I've never been, and still see everything in the US that I intend.

See if this shakes out? My previous route clocked in at about 36 hours non stop, whether by 90 or 94. Then I added time for stops (12 hrs) putting me at 48 hours. Realistically that's still kind of a fast pace, so I added yet another 24 hours to give us breathing room so we can just enjoy the trip, or divert, nap, or take some time to marvel at something and still arrive a full 4 days before the wedding. I was going to drive 94 there (3 days), spend 5 or 6 days out there to see my nephew get married and head down 191 through Yellowstone & The Tetons with him and his bride. Then use 3 days to get home, by hooking up to 90, seeing Devil's Tower and the Badlands on the return trip. Whichever way I drive in, I will drive the other route back. Leaving maybe 2 days to unpack and relax at home before I have to head to work.

That doesnt leave me a lot of time at any one park, but at least I can ride through them and stop for some "wow" factor. But I'm arriving on Tuesday for a Saturday wedding, so I have plenty of wiggle room there especially if I reverse the loop.

I dont know if that will all be possible, but that's the plan, with the addition of the route you mapped through Canada and the Lake Superior State Forest.

The truck cap I just put on will likely come in handy and save us some $ on the ride.
I ran Boston to Bozeman and got 35hrs, the run through Canada came out as 38hrs. Not all that much more time. My plan in the UP is at least two nights in the NF and run the forest roads across. I could lose 2-3 days easy there.

Another is now showing me how much there is on the Canadian side to explore as traveling through. All those green areas are Provincial or Conservation Lands. You zoom in further and more show up in detail. I stayed on the TCH last time out there, this time I will swing down along Georgian Bay.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 8.43.25 AM.png

Bluewater Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Goodells, Michigan
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Woolman
Member #

U do want to see devils tower but the more i find non paved routes and overland style camp spots my 2 week trip is turning into a 2 month trip so i am thinking this is going to turn into a once a year thing because there is way to much to see especially places that are off pavement

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

That's what is happening to me. RJ pointed me through Canada as an alternate route. So I took stock, and started writing down all the places to see along my 3 possible routes. Now I know I wont get to see them all in the two weeks I've got, but at least I have a running list for next time

Reactions: Bluewater Overland