First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
I have done it a few months ago.

There is one section that has deep muddy wet ruts that could hang you up. Another section of that has a deep washout. Both are passable with a little thought.

jasgwoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rocky Top, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Woods
Member #

I too would like to do Hurricane Creek in the next couple of weeks. I'm still unclear as to where to enter from I-40. Happen to have coordinates?

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Astor
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4TRD
Service Branch
U.S. Army
I know this post was two weeks ago. I heard the gate was closed on the entrance off I-40. Can anyone confirmed?

I ran it in October, deep ruts and mud, only stock would have issues in a couple spots.

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
I’d like to run this at the end of December. Hoping it’s not closed down then. Assuming the ruts are solid bottom and it’s more of a clearance issue than a traction?

Great looking btw

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Astor
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4TRD
Service Branch
U.S. Army
It is a clearance issue. Also, solid bottom when there is no rain. After a heavy rain, not so solid. Dry, I blew thru it. I would love to run it in December and actually put a group ride out of Charlotte together, but it is on hold or cancelled, pending closure. FYI - forestry service website DOES NOT list it. But, guys have been posting that they saw it closed as they were headed to Windrock.......

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
It is a clearance issue. Also, solid bottom when there is no rain. After a heavy rain, not so solid. Dry, I blew thru it. I would love to run it in December and actually put a group ride out of Charlotte together, but it is on hold or cancelled, pending closure. FYI - forestry service website DOES NOT list it. But, guys have been posting that they saw it closed as they were headed to Windrock.......
Thanks, I’m on 35s in a full-size so I should be mostly ok.

I’ll be out in that area after Christmas for a few days and looking for a few trails to run and places to see.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
I'm just hoping it doesn't get closed down soon. This is literally imo other than Uwharrie, the most popular offroad trail in the state at this point. The constant use is definitely taking its toll on the road. And if i'm not mistaken it's maintained by the Forest Service, and if the road becomes too messed up they'll just simply close it down. Couple that with the fact that Max Patch has been used and abused this year, it's not looking good for the longevity of this trail.

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Astor
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4TRD
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Two weekends ago a group went and did not have problems. Another group had a long thread about HC closing and one guy, who was local said they have been talking about it since before he was born, lol. It is a state unmaintained road. I think they grade it once or twice a year but I do not know.

Contributor II

East Tennessee
First Name
James
Last Name
vvvvv
I'm just hoping it doesn't get closed down soon. This is literally imo other than Uwharrie, the most popular offroad trail in the state at this point. The constant use is definitely taking its toll on the road. And if i'm not mistaken it's maintained by the Forest Service, and if the road becomes too messed up they'll just simply close it down. Couple that with the fact that Max Patch has been used and abused this year, it's not looking good for the longevity of this trail.
On May 1, I lead a group of new drivers up to Max Patch for the SMOR. I've only been up there a few times, but I was really taken aback by how crowed it was this time. There were probably 20-30 tents on the actual summit of the Max Patch. Large groups of people everywhere. That's cool I guess. But there was a ton of trash. The worst of it was used toilet paper. I mean, dude....

One of other leaders did Hurricane creek and said it the ruts are getting pretty bad. One thing that I know has changed is that the FS has closed a few unoffical creek crossings. Some of the local clubs were getting pretty wild up there and were making them very bad.

Greg French

Rank III

Traveler III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
French
Member #

That sucks. We just did it last weekend- Hurricane Creek- Max Patch- Cat Gut- and were pretty alone. There were 13 rigs in all. Didn't notice any trash. Maybe you hit it on an bad weekend?