Hurricane creek to max patch NC

• HTML tutorial

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Anyone been thru recently? Going to be in the area Thursday afternoon and was wondering about conditions?
I did it two weeks ago for the third time and used 4lo once (JK 2.5" lift 33"AT) running it from max patch towards 40 (so I did it backwards this time?) The one part was tricky because it was pretty slick and had some deep ruts. Really had to find a line and hold to it otherwise you would be screwed and have to start over - unless of course you've got lockers or maybe better traction but again really slick.

Did it with a LC60 and a Grand Cherokee Diesel and all made it unscathed. It isn't a hard trail - just a fun one that'll take 2-4 hours depending on how many times you stop. Be sure to check out the mud hole playground. That's fun with all the big frogs jumping everywhere. Hundreds of them....

Reactions: justjames

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

I did it two weeks ago for the third time and used 4lo once (JK 2.5" lift 33"AT) running it from max patch towards 40 (so I did it backwards this time?) The one part was tricky because it was pretty slick and had some deep ruts. Really had to find a line and hold to it otherwise you would be screwed and have to start over - unless of course you've got lockers or maybe better traction but again really slick.

Did it with a LC60 and a Grand Cherokee Diesel and all made it unscathed. It isn't a hard trail - just a fun one that'll take 2-4 hours depending on how many times you stop. Be sure to check out the mud hole playground. That's fun with all the big frogs jumping everywhere. Hundreds of them....
Thanks! I've done it before, just not recently and was wondering about conditions since all the rains.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

I did it this afternoon and found conditions to be A-OK. As @dougie117 said above, there were some deep ruts. They were at about 1.5 miles north of I-40 that were pretty deep but otherwise, the trail was in good shape. I was in a Tacoma which has 32's and is lifted a couple inches and I drug through the ruts but had no problems elsewhere.

Reactions: Smith_AVDN_FAM

Smith_AVDN_FAM

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Charlotte
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Smith
Member #

T
I did it this afternoon and found conditions to be A-OK. As @dougie117 said above, there were some deep ruts. They were at about 1.5 miles north of I-40 that were pretty deep but otherwise, the trail was in good shape. I was in a Tacoma which has 32's and is lifted a couple inches and I drug through the ruts but had no problems elsewhere.
thanks for the update. Trying to talk a buddy into going up there.

WayRodJKU

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Maryville, TN, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Rodgers
Member #

Any one recently been through Hurricane Creek since the rains in June? Several of us are looking to go July 4th and camp at the Fire Rd. Gate. Haven’t been since last November.

WayRodJKU

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Maryville, TN, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Rodgers
Member #

I’m sure there’s room! i would guess there’s room for 4-5 vehicles. Only one of our three will have a RTT...others will be ground tents

auscshull

Rank 0

Contributor I

Irmo, SC, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Shull
Took my 4Runner on the trail for the first time this past Saturday and it was far from a "beginner" level trail. Maybe if the road wasn't so rutted out and washed out in a few areas it could be considered more entry level, but in it's current condition it's in no shape for anything other than experienced drivers with the right set up. Had to use rear lockers and crawl control a few times to make it through the badly rutted sections. It's still a ton of fun, just know what you're getting yourself into.

WayRodJKU

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Maryville, TN, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Rodgers
Member #

The trail was tight (7/5/19) with overgrowth and was very wet. We’ve had a lot of rain in the area. We were able to camp at the old fire road. Need high clearance for several spots which were washed out...take a friend to help with spotting those better lines.

Reactions: glade8r

Steven Kopf

Rank 0

Contributor I

The trail was tight (7/5/19) with overgrowth and was very wet. We’ve had a lot of rain in the area. We were able to camp at the old fire road. Need high clearance for several spots which were washed out...take a friend to help with spotting those better lines.
My wife and I did it today from Max to 40 in our LC100. Had to use the lockers in a couple of wet, rutted sections. Not sure if a stock rig would make it.

Reactions: WayRodJKU

Jrhodes

Rank 0

Contributor I

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Johnny
Last Name
Rhodes
we rolled up and camped on trail Friday may, 11 2018. highly recommend setting up camp in day time and be wary of all the poison ivy along trail.

if you ride all the way from i40 to Wesley Creek Rd there's a pretty spectacular view at the top, better than max patch (no one was there).
Would you be able to camp at this spot?

Bdander

Rank 0

Contributor I

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Anderson
Hello all,
First time posting after reading a lot and wanted some advice/confirmation. I’ll be in the area this weekend and not familiar with terrain, so I’m double checking that I’d be alright to go on the trail. I have an F150 Raptor and am concerned with the width of the trail and it’s condition. Planning on going early Saturday since I have a wedding to attend that afternoon so I don’t want to be digging myself out of anything.

I’m confident I’ll be fine, just looking for some reassurance for anyone that’s been there recently.

Thanks in advance.

Bdander

Rank 0

Contributor I

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Anderson
Just an update on this weekends excursion. The trail isn’t wide bodied truck friendly and has some good ruts. No issue getting through with a good setup.

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Just an update on this weekends excursion. The trail isn’t wide bodied truck friendly and has some good ruts. No issue getting through with a good setup.
Good to hear! The diesel burb will be making it's first excursion for a camping trip out there this weekend!

Reactions: Jrhodes

bhayes423

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Knoxville
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Hayes
What time are people planning on going? Would love to try this trail out and camp somewhere after but we are new to off roading and want to go with a group. Got a Tacoma OR I'm looking to break in!

ziggy stardust

Rank II

Enthusiast III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
aaron
Last Name
von
Member #

is there any good turn offs along the trail for camping or stopping and setting up for a picnic type lunch with a camper?
would be traveling from I40 to max patch