Rank V

Enthusiast III

Durham, NC, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

This trip was ALOT to say the very least. At first I would like to thank everyone who attended this weekend (@ziggy stardust @glade8r @Trevor Atchley @AlphaJD @Xterrastrial_Overland and a few others not on the forum). Had some hickups in the beginning due to getting a late start on Friday. Boojum Brewery was interesting, beer selection was alright. Have seen better spots. We arrived at camp Friday evening at the Winngray Campground in Waynesville. I cannot say enough good things about this place. Staff was very nice and helpful. The views were gorgeous. It is not a primitive camp spot but for where it is, it's gorgeous. We all had a good time Friday evening and woke up Saturday with high hopes of hitting the trail early and finding camp for Saturday evening.

We headed down to Cove Creek Rd off of Jonathan Creek Rd and headed northwest towrds the Cataloochee Group Camp and turned onto Forest Road 288. @Xterrastrial_Overland had a small mishap in a tight corner and ended up rolling his built Xterra off the edge. We all regrouped, made sure he was alright, and one of our folks stayed behind to wait for a wrecker and give him a lift home afterwards. The rest of the group continued to push to Hurricane Creek. After about 5 hours on Hurricane Creek trail and conducting some much needed trail maintenance along the way, we made our way to camp for the evening, at Round Mountain Campground. It is just across the border in TN. Max Patch was extremely busy with hundreds of cars parked along Max Patch Rd. Camp at Round Mountain was nice and quiet and secluded. Bathrooms are available but no running water or power.

@Xterrastrial_Overland we are all feeling for you right now and will continue to after what you experienced on Saturday. I would highly reccommend anyone looking to do Hurricane Creek to get to it soon before the trail is permanently closed due to trash and all around trail conditions are worsening due to erosion. There are multiple technical spots but with a good spotter you will be alright.

I will post several photos of the rigs together on here that I have. If anyone else who attended wants to post photos please feel free to do so.
I have attempted to add the GPX file of our track to the postimage5 (1).jpegimage4 (1).jpegimage2 (1).jpegimage1 (1).jpeg

GPX viewer

Attachments

ziggy stardust

Rank II

Enthusiast III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
aaron
Last Name
von
Member #

Thanks ozzy for setting this up we had a great time and really met a lot of great people. I am
already looking forward to the next trip!

Attachments

Last edited:

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Glad you guys had a great trip! Sucks to hear about the Xterra for sure! Hope it wasn't to catastrophic for repairs!! Shame about the trash and overcrowding/trash.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Wow, looks like you all had a great trip. Sorry to hear about the Xterra. It looked like a great rig. The damage didn't look too bad in the pic, but pics don't often tell the story and it may have been looking at its better side.

I'll be heading down there in a few weeks. We'll bring trash bags, for sure.

Reactions: Mountainhawk

Bwarning3

Rank I

Contributor I

Fort Wright, KY, USA
First Name
Beverly
Last Name
Warning
Member #

I want to say that you all made a new experience a positive one. Thank you @glade8r for giving me tips and advice along the way. Also to @AlphaJD for giving me the positive reinforcement I needed. I learned a lot and now know what I want to do to my rig to make it even more capable for handling future trips.

AlphaJD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Duggan
Member #

Wow, looks like you all had a great trip. Sorry to hear about the Xterra. It looked like a great rig. The damage didn't look too bad in the pic, but pics don't often tell the story and it may have been looking at its better side.

I'll be heading down there in a few weeks. We'll bring trash bags, for sure.
The side you saw in the photo was the side that was facing up. It landed on the passenger side. Both the side airbags were deployed.

Attachments

AlphaJD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Duggan
Member #

Random photos of the event. Still working on the videos.

Attachments