HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Reno Overlanding completed a Run on Saturday (along with hopefully two new OB members). Thanks to Bob @sierrabob and Scott @Sierratough for spearheading this run which took us from the McCarren area trailhead to Verdi. We concluded that the route is excellent for training with all the twists and turns, squeezes through trees, safe passages around or over ruts and boulders, along with climbing up and down the bumpy trials.

Hunter Lake Trial Run Map.JPG We started at 5540 feet and ascended to 8678 feet then descended to 4778 feet in Verdi for a late lunch. All in all it took 6 hours with mandatory 10-100 stops:grin:, snack and of course the numerous photo op stops. The views were fantastic.

Connie @Stumblebunny put together a slide show for everyone...enjoy.

Attached is the GPX of the trail run

Attachments

Last edited:

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Do you think a stock 4Runner with running boards could handle this route, or are there some sections that would require more clearance?

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Do you think a stock 4Runner with running boards could handle this route, or are there some sections that would require more clearance?
I have heard others have done the trail with a Stock 4Runner as long as you take it slow and are cautious. But I must mention that we had a stock Jeep Rubi that hit bottom 5 times. Going through some of the trees are a bit tight but I was able to get between them without any scrapes. My personal experience on the trail is lifts are better. I have 2.5" lifts on my rig.

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

on_the_run

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Reno, NV
Member #

Reno Overlanding completed a Run on Saturday (along with hopefully two new OB members). Thanks to Bob @sierrabob and Scott @Sierratough for spearheading this run which took us from the McCarren area trailhead to Verdi. We concluded that the route is excellent for training with all the twists and turns, squeezes through trees, safe passages around or over ruts and boulders, along with climbing up and down the bumpy trials.

View attachment 61022 We started at 5540 feet and ascended to 8678 feet then descended to 4778 feet in Verdi for a late lunch. All in all it took 6 hours with mandatory 10-100 stops:grin:, snack and of course the numerous photo op stops. The views were fantastic.

Connie @Stumblebunny put together a slide show for everyone...enjoy.

Attached is the GPX of the trail run
Thanks for posting this! I saved the file to my macbook, then airdropped it to my phone. From my phone I was able to open with Gaia GPS!

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding