Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Guess Jackery and other portable power storage options sales will go up! :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: I feel like as an off road vehicle it just isn't there. Even with all the advances and businesses putting in charging stations it just doesn't seem feasible to use as an overlanding or heavy off road rig. It's gonna be SUUUUUPER heavy and then trying to add more stuff to it and traverse possibly major obstacles...nope. But as a daily around town type vehicle, sure. But then that's way to much to pay!

Reactions: grubworm

the_rockies

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Monument, CO, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Crocker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0FEA
I've always liked the principal of a Hummer, I mean, who wouldn't want a giant machine made to go anywhere and everywhere? I like the new electric hummer because of some of the features but some others have me concerned. For starters... the price is just crazy, if I had 80k to spend, I wouldn't be spending it on a vehicle that wont be arriving until 2024. Secondly, some of the coolest features (though maybe unnecessary) like crab walk & all the cameras aren't available on the lowest trim and you've gotta produce another 30k for those features. All in all, if I had that truck I wouldn't be taking it offroad because I a vehicle that wide would just get destroyed on some of the tight trails in Colorado... If hummer were to drop the price and have a faster production time than they would have gotten a huge market, but I think they messed up in their execution on the new Hummer EV

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
ummm...maybe cause this "big flashlight with wheels" will pretty much smoke your car off road and on road and not put any pollutants in our air...
i'm willing to bet if it said bronco or jeep on the grille everyone would be going ga-ga.
if you don't like it, fine, but i pretty much guarantee there will be many more like it coming.
100 yrs ago people said the same thing about petro cars when electric and steam was all the rage...
I love electric vehicles. in 5 years I am going to bet that I will be driving 100 percent electric. The provincial government just installed chargers approx 70 kms apart now to provide fast charging to our highway. The two ev's I am looking at both have a range of 400km plus so most of the time we will not need extra charging, only when we get where we are going. Even our off road loops will work. I can't wait. Silent vehicle, no maintenance only brakes really, vehicles always warm in the winter because they have heat pumps and not dependant on the ICE to provide heat to the passneger cabin. The benifits go on and on. With none of the draw backs of ICE.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
size is subjective.
for someone driving a jeep or a toyota, i could see this.
for someone who has driven reg fullsize trucks and suv's their whole life, not so much an issue.
my '85 K30 crew at 8k and 22ft long is the original "land battleship", the hummer would almost be jeep-like to me....

and with 800-1000 hp, good ground clearance, excellent approach and departure angels, over 2 ft of water fording, factory lockers, underbody armor, rock sliders, 4wheel steering and 35's, seems like a very capable rig to me.
like any full sizer needs, some better tires and a 16k winch would be about all i'd add.
Don't you mean Land "aircraft carrier"? ha ha..the old 4 door square bodies with 8ft pans are longer than most semi trucks ha ha ha.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
i have been following the Rivian for a couple yrs and really like it's "tank turn" ability, price, and range, but......
how a vehicle looks to me is very important, ranks right after running gear, and every time i look at the Rivian...
View attachment 175980

i can't help but think of this.....
View attachment 175981

i too would seriously consider an ev truck, and there getting to the point where it is almost as easy as using an IC vehicle.
when they get it where you can recharge in the time it takes to fill a gas tank, they will gain popularity. people want simplicity and familiarity.
it will come...just ask the old cowboys who would never trade their trusty steeds for one of them newfangled otto-mobile contraptions....

i think you just described ANY vehicle built from '99 up. :anguished:
that's why i stick with the old iron...until my new hummer is ready of course....
I think it's awesome. Furturistic without being wonky looking. Not oversized to be compensating for something (i.e. Hummer), and not designed by a 4 year old with only a triangle (cyberjunk).

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
ummm...maybe cause this "big flashlight with wheels" will pretty much smoke your car off road and on road and not put any pollutants in our air...
i'm willing to bet if it said bronco or jeep on the grille everyone would be going ga-ga.
if you don't like it, fine, but i pretty much guarantee there will be many more like it coming.
100 yrs ago people said the same thing about petro cars when electric and steam was all the rage...
Yeah, even the most basic ev's would tear up all but the most hyper of hyper cars in quick starts. Torque rules in the ev world. Electric cars ARE the future whether people like it or not. Get ready folks...no smelly gas or diesel engines sooner than you think.