Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

As an object, I think it looks quite nice. Brings all the "Hummer" essence up-to-date in a modern package.

As an off-road focused vehicle? Eh. I would question why it has to be so damn big - specifically, wide. I know HMMV > Hummer are big vehicles; that's sort of their niche but, c'mon. Wider than a Raptor? Something similar in proportions to a Wrangler would have been beter in my eyes.

All that said, not like I will ever buy one consider what the thing is expected to cost. Each to their own.

Reactions: MazeVX and Leo4x4
It's wide because of the battery packs. It's also heavy as. Really heavy.
The tires are going to be expensive. Conventional tires will wear fast.

Overall I really like it for many reasons. Smart tech implementation.
It's over $110K and all EV's right now can only be used for touring if it's close to home. Even with a 500 mile range,
once you're loaded, using AC or heat, and have some AT or MT's on there that figure will drop substantially.

Charging up is non-existent in the areas I like to travel, and spending a couple hours or more in a parking lot is not my idea of necessary trip time.
Having said that, i'm super excited there are many EV truck options coming. The tech will get there.

The one thing I really like on the Hummer is the wireless controllers on the battery packs.
Upgrading to new tech , and changing out bad cells will be a non-issue.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
If I had the $, then I'd say I really really like it. It would be my daily driver. For overlanding/camping and the like, it's too nice to get dirty and God forbit I get trail stripes on it!

Reactions: Leo4x4

Morrisdl

Rank II

Enthusiast II

SML, VA
100% Aggressive hummer style! Nice alternative to Rivian and Tesla Trucks. Glass panel roof was neat. whats up with all the lunar lander references? WTF - "Watts-to-freedom!" From gas guzzler to electron guzzler... $80-112K Hummer w/ 250-350 mile range is disappointing compared to everything else. Needs to be 1/2 that price or 2x range to be competitive. Tesla Cyber is 500+ miles for $80k, Rivian (aka amazon truck) is also way better spec. At $112K new these will only compete with G-wagons for time in rap videos. I doubt they hold their value (just like the ELR) and will be a good value on the resale market. Will see these on the trail in the 2030's if GM lasts that long.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

GM tried to sell the brand to the Chinese, but the deal fell through.

Then Hummer was gone.

Now it's back, but what happened to the dealers?

Strange way to run a brand...

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Never been an electric vehicle fan solely based on their looks, I like the look of the new Hummer I can't afford one but they look cool, I'm sure it would be an electrical nightmare if it got swapped offroad

Morrisdl

Rank II

Enthusiast II

SML, VA
Tesla E/V's have anecdotally proven to be MUCH more tolerant to short-term flooding than ICE. Of course water inside the passenger compartment would be equally bad. Not sure about the other E/V brands water tolerance.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
We had a Hummer franchise at the shop, gawd they sucked. The high cost on these are inline with the H-1. The company treated them more as a novelty not as a 100k-120k vehicle. I love the way the truck looks. They give you a raised pu with the availability of top removal like the Jeep/Bronco.

What makes me suspicious is, Ford stated talking about the Bronco last year. That means they were spending the 1-2 years working out the bugs with the prototypes. GM didn't say anything until recently. I hope they didn't rush into this and just throw something together to compete with ford at the last minute.

I do like the vehicle but those are too pretty for me to take in the dirt. Especially at that price.

All the flooded Teslas i've heard of are basically totalled by water.
The corrosion and water damage gets deep in the battery controllers and connections and it's impossible to get to.
Good luck tracing shorts and electrical issues after that. That's a full tear down.

Short of hydrolocking the motor, you just dry out a ICE and it's fine.

Tesla E/V's have anecdotally proven to be MUCH more tolerant to short-term flooding than ICE. Of course water inside the passenger compartment would be equally bad. Not sure about the other E/V brands water tolerance.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
All the flooded Teslas i've heard of are basically totalled by water.
The corrosion and water damage gets deep in the battery controllers and connections and it's impossible to get to.
Good luck tracing shorts and electrical issues after that. That's a full tear down.

Short of hydrolocking the motor, you just dry out a ICE and it's fine.
So add a few 100lbs of rice to the overland payload

Reactions: Sgtanderson

Sgtanderson

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Windsor, Virginia, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS, WRFF981
Service Branch
US Army Ret.
I can't really see myself living long enough to ever trust an electric vehicle of any type. I've never purchased new, and for me to begin trusting a platform takes about 10-15 years minimum. I'm a Ford guy from way back and as many great reviews as I've seen about the Ecoboost...I still don't fully trust the Ecoboost. LOL Even as a Ford guy I can see the simplicity and durability of the GM LS motor, and I have become a fan of the properly maintained 1st gen 5.4 2valve Triton. So I will never own a electric, I'll never wear skinny jeans, & I'll never darken the door of Starbucks. LOL

Morrisdl

Rank II

Enthusiast II

SML, VA
I am all for Diesel, Petrol, AND Electric vehicles ...I have years of experience OWNING all three and water crossings.

IMHO E/Vs are the best option for fording deep water.

Well except salt water - none should ever go in the ocean!

My Tesla "overlanding" credentials:
1603833031087.png

Reactions: RoarinRow

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Even if I could afford one, why would I want to buy what is essentially a big flashlight with wheels?

I'll stick with ICE as long as I can.

Reactions: grubworm and MazeVX