• HTML tutorial

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

First impressions:
Recently purchased a new Hults Bruk axe. The Hults Bruk forge in Sweden is the oldest axe maker in the world, with operations dating back to 1697. I chose the 26" Kisa model. The axe handle is America hickory with a tight grain pattern and vertical orientation. Raw wood coated in Linseed oil. Tight fit, no gaps, in line with head. Perfect wedge work. Hand forged 2 lb carbon steel head.

The Kisa axe was approximately $139. It came with a nice leather sheath that covers the top of the axe. Drawstring instead of a snap. Thick welt in the sheath.

The bit edge came hand sharpened from the factory with a mirror convex grind finish. It was shaving sharp out of the box.

So far, the axe looks and feels great. I'm on my way to a three day camp trip in the woods, where I'll conduct my field evaluation of the Kisa axe. I'll update this thread when I'm back on grid. I think this axe is on par with similar Gransfors Bruk models. The sheath is superior to Gransfors Bruk and the recently defunct SA Wetterlings sheathes.

20180207_064444.jpg 20180207_064944.jpg 20180207_064342.jpg 20180207_065726.jpg

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
That’s a great looking ax!

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

After three days of use around the campsite, I determined this axe is outstanding at just about everything. It felled dead standing trees, bucked fallen logs, made feather sticks, shaved bird's nest material, split kindling, and chopped notches and wedges. Overall, best axe I've ever used.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

First impressions:
Recently purchased a new Hults Bruk axe. The Hults Bruk forge in Sweden is the oldest axe maker in the world, with operations dating back to 1697. I chose the 26" Kisa model.

I'll update this thread when I'm back on grid. I think this axe is on par with similar Gransfors Bruk models.
Cool, @MEU(SOC), very cool! I just got a wonderful, packable, Gränsfors Bruk Small Forest Axe (19"). I've been looking at their 25" (eight month waiting list at some vendors and super inflated prices at others) so will be very interested in what you think of your 26" Hults Kisa after you use it more around camp and trail.

I like the sheath on yours. I just got some 7-8oz veg-tanned leather to make sheaths for some of my Moraknivs, and may make a nice handle guard for my new Gränsfors Bruk axe, too.

Hard to beat good Swedish steel; they have such a long history of forging steel going back to the Middle Ages. I've used Swedish steel gouges and chisels in carving and woodworking for years and it's great to have axes that match in quality.

gransforsbruk-5225-600.jpg

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I restore vintage axes and hatchets. Currently you can’t beat Gransfors, Hults, or Ox head. They are the closest to old steel. Attached is my favorite, it’s a 1.5 lb Plumb head on a handmade 19” hickory handle I’m guessing by the markings it’s late 60’s. I use this for hiking and backpacking. This is ground for splitting and cutting so it’s not a master of either. This matched with a 28-32” 3.5-4 lb head is my perfect combo.

The old timers always say to use boiled linseed oil and I agree. Apply it once a day for a week, once a month for a year, then once a year for your lifetime.

Get yourselves a two sided sharpening puck and a quality 12” bastard file and you can have these tools for centuries.

D6C8D13C-5928-4282-A554-F60FB96AE39F.jpeg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I restore vintage axes and hatchets. Currently you can’t beat Gransfors, Hults, or Ox head. They are the closest to old steel. Attached is my favorite, it’s a 1.5 lb Plumb head on a handmade 19” hickory handle I’m guessing by the markings it’s late 60’s. I use this for hiking and backpacking. This is ground for splitting and cutting so it’s not a master of either. This matched with a 28-32” 3.5-4 lb head is my perfect combo.

The old timers always say to use boiled linseed oil and I agree. Apply it once a day for a week, once a month for a year, then once a year for your lifetime.

Get yourselves a two sided sharpening puck and a quality 12” bastard file and you can have these tools for centuries.
Ayuh, very cool, @Cort . Looks great, and yep, I concur on the boiled linseed oil. This Gränsfors Bruk Small Forest Axe handle is coated that way, rubbed in quite nicely. I've used boiled linseed oil for decades for wooden ladders, handles on all sorts of yard and construction tools, and even southern pine floors.

They used to do schoolhouse floors the same way, once a week for month, then once a month for the next year, and once a year thereafter. Makes a nice, easily swept, impervious surface.

It's one of those touchstone smells for me, linseed oil on a rag when applying to a handle, that instantly brings back all sorts of memories of past tools, where I was when applying it, jobs I've done, etc. Ya just have to be careful what you do with those oily rags when done; they can generate a lot of heat if piled up. If I'm done with them, I drape them over a saw horse or something 'til air dry, then put them all in a bag with water before discarding.

Love to see your axes sometime.

Reactions: Cort

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I have a Husqvarna 26" forest axe. They are supposedly made by Hults Bruk, but not finished as fully. $60 on amazon. I can put my own edge on it, but it came decently sharp. I was surprised. Those are nice axes, but if you just want something that is high quality but not showy, take a look at those too.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
These are the Best Buy out there for sharpening.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

I have a Husqvarna 26" forest axe. They are supposedly made by Hults Bruk, but not finished as fully. $60 on amazon.
I looked at that axe on Amazon, but opted to pay more for better quality. I saw quite a few broken head pics in the Amazon reviews, which turned me away from the Husqvarna. The Stihl axe (Ox head made if I recall) seem like a great budget axe. Never heard of those failing.