Huge props to Overland Expo West 2019! It was an amazingly, well-run, logistically thought out event, with at least double the people! WOW!

• HTML tutorial

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

I will post my pics soon, but wanted to have those who went chime in, especially if you have attended in the past, sharing your thoughts on the event.. This isnt meant to be a roasting, but rather a testimony to a wonderful event. This was an amazingly well planned, and executed, Expo West event worthy of props and praise. This event has grown, what seems to be double each year, and yet the promoters did not disappoint with their commitment to make it bigger and better. Lines were VERY minimal, if any at all (entry, camping, etc), and when there were lines, the organizers knew just how to get them moving. For the amount of people pouring into the show, BRAVO! The vendor areas were well laid out, and it was amazing to see such enthusiastic crowds, and vendors willing to share info, and make for a truly awesome time! We had 2 kids and 2 dogs with us, and navigating through the crowd was WAY better than we thought. Thank you to Overland Expo! Edit: This was my third OE West, just to fill in the backstory.

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Internet/Cell service get any better?

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

Internet/Cell service get any better?
That entire area is blackout, or little to no cell, SiriusXM and similar. I am not sure there is much to do unless cell towers were installed from the major carriers, which is obviously not something we can pin onto Overland Expo ;)

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

@itsdchz , thank you so much for the positive post on Expo West! Sounds like the new event organizers put all of their resources in the right place and put together a great event! Even more excited for Expo East now!

Reactions: itsdchz

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
That entire area is blackout, or little to no cell, SiriusXM and similar. I am not sure there is much to do unless cell towers were installed from the major carriers, which is obviously not something we can pin onto Overland Expo ;)
I wasn’t pinning it on the expo organizers. It was merely a question. It has also been an issue for vendors who needed internet in the past.

I’m glad it sounds like it was better organized this year.

Cuse Runner

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Denver, CO
Member #

Our first time and it was awesome! We had a great camp spot with cool neighbors! It was great meeting everyone and the community was far better than expected!

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
This was the first year the Hansens weren't running OE. They sold it to Lodestone Events but remain involved teaching classes and serving as advisers. Thought the whole thing came off very well given it is a year of transition. I was one of the instructors this year which gave me a little more insight into the nuts and bolts of the operation. Had an audiovisual problem in one of the classrooms and they had a tech there in less than 3 minutes. I suspect next year will be even better as Lodestone builds on this year's experience.

Seems the weather is just becoming part of the lore of OE. We didn't depart until Monday. Multiple accidents on I-17 going south to Phoenix in the snow/sleet/rain.

Saw lots of smiles and very few complaints for the whole weekend.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

mv213

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Were there many adventure trailer/teardrop owners in attendance? Or is it all self-contained setups like a 4Runner with rooftop tent?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Were there many adventure trailer/teardrop owners in attendance? Or is it all self-contained setups like a 4Runner with rooftop tent?
Everything you can imagine from $1 to 1 million dollar setups. Hit YouTube and you will see stuff from folks that attended.

bhunter74

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Rio Verde, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
James
Member #

My first year attending and thought it was great. Only went on Sunday and didn’t camp on site. Can’t wait till next year and hope to camp there and meet some new people.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thanks, I didnt want to feel out of place with my Intech Flyer Chase.
Nobody cares what everyone else has. and if they do well.......

Everything from Coleman tents to DIY trailers, to InTechs (some might even admire yours ;) ), to....... the point is to hang out and check things out and not worry if what you have is up to anyone else's "standards."

Last edited:

Cuse Runner

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Denver, CO
Member #

My first year attending and thought it was great. Only went on Sunday and didn’t camp on site. Can’t wait till next year and hope to camp there and meet some new people.
Saturday was probably the best weather of the weekend. I would suggest camping on site, as the people were just as good as the event, made some new friends. All the happy hours with the vendors were awesome!

Cuffs

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

La Verkin, UT, USA
First Name
Wendi
Last Name
Merritt
Member #

I wasn’t pinning it on the expo organizers. It was merely a question. It has also been an issue for vendors who needed internet in the past.

There was vendor wifi access hosted by OEx

Reactions: itsdchz

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

It would be way awesome if the cell coverage improved. A lot of people learned from last years event and brought more powerful 4G portable units. It would be so much easier to buy things from vendors!

Reactions: 1Louder

firemen7

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, CA, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
McLaren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EBY
Service Branch
Firefighter/Paramedi
As a first year attendee I thoroughly enjoy the Expo, it was above expectations, vendors were outstanding, people were very friendly and the food was great. Learned a lot about specific equipment, techniques and areas to go visit. I met Michael and joined Overland Bound.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

It was my first Expo as well, and I had a great time there. It was fun just walking around the camp ground seeing everyone’s setups. I’m definitely going back next year!

Reactions: FFJOORD and itsdchz