Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Wauconda, IL, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Kroliczek
Member #

Hi all, 22053 checking in here, Allen's the name!

I've always considered myself an "overlander" of sorts, but never had a name for it. Only recently have I started getting into the community and figured this would be a cool way to get some more offroad friendly friends! To start, I've got a bit of a motto: It doesn't matter what the vehicle is, pack it up and go as far as it'll let you. I've taken cars on roads where they have no business being on and often find myself in fairly interesting situations. I own a European car repair/restoration shop where I service and outfit G Wagens, Disco's, and repair a variety of other less interesting vehicles (Ferrari, Porsche, etc). I have a pretty interesting (read: stupid) selection of cars I've taken cross country and have taken on trails in Moab. I started doing the crazed overland drives with an 82 Mercedes 300TD and have sort of downgraded to what I'm currently putting together, a 2001 Mercedes G500 brought in by Europa.

I put up some shots of the old kombi in Moab and random mountain passes. The current G is slowly going to be built up for a drive up to Inuvik in August, at the moment I have it torn apart getting it ready for some trails in Moab to flex the lockers and do some camping with friends. Only pictures I have of it now are embarassing - street summer performance tires deep in the Ozarks :grimacing: She's since been outfitted with a Frontrunner load bar rig, ARB RTT, 2" lift, 33" BFG KO2, and a variety of gizmos to keep me comfortable. I'll be making a run out to Moab in about 10 days, should anyone else be out there it would be cool to link up and hit some trails!

Attachments

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB

I've always considered myself an "overlander" of sorts, but never had a name for it. Only recently have I started getting into the community and figured this would be a cool way to get some more offroad friendly friends! To start, I've got a bit of a motto: It doesn't matter what the vehicle is, pack it up and go as far as it'll let you. I've taken cars on roads where they have no business being on and often find myself in fairly interesting situations. I own a European car repair/restoration shop where I service and outfit G Wagens, Disco's, and repair a variety of other less interesting vehicles (Ferrari, Porsche, etc). I have a pretty interesting (read: stupid) selection of cars I've taken cross country and have taken on trails in Moab. I started doing the crazed overland drives with an 82 Mercedes 300TD and have sort of downgraded to what I'm currently putting together, a 2001 Mercedes G500 brought in by Europa.

I put up some shots of the old kombi in Moab and random mountain passes. The current G is slowly going to be built up for a drive up to Inuvik in August, at the moment I have it torn apart getting it ready for some trails in Moab to flex the lockers and do some camping with friends. Only pictures I have of it now are embarassing - street summer performance tires deep in the Ozarks :grimacing: She's since been outfitted with a Frontrunner load bar rig, ARB RTT, 2" lift, 33" BFG KO2, and a variety of gizmos to keep me comfortable. I'll be making a run out to Moab in about 10 days, should anyone else be out there it would be cool to link up and hit some trails!
Welcome to the OB community Allen.

Reactions: AllenK

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello Allen and welcome to the OB crew...nice rigs. Look forward to seeing your build and your adventures. Great pics.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Welcome Allen from Oregon. You are in the Midwest Region. @Mike W is your Regional Director. He can point you to the closest member rep and fill you in on activities going on throughout your region.

AllenK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Wauconda, IL, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Kroliczek
Member #

Cheers everyone,
G's just about ready to head out west in the next couple days! Can't wait to get out there

Reactions: Chadlyb

AllenK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Wauconda, IL, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Kroliczek
Member #

Welcome! The G wagon is sweet but that 300TD is what's up.
The G's definitely a downgrade:tearsofjoy:, that little wagon has seen more action than I care to admit. The story behind it is wild in it's own right

Reactions: J.W.

AllenK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Wauconda, IL, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Kroliczek
Member #

so....how was it ?
it was definitely an adventure.

figured we'd take a chance doing the rimrocker from montrose to moab and got all 3 rigs stuck, the G was the only one able to pull everyone else out. hit Fins n things and some other trails in Moab, then had my rear wheel bearing explode on me coming back to town, but managed to fix it with a hammer and chisel in a parking lot. at the end of it all, it went from having Moab shut down 2 days after leaving due to Covid, to being on the 3rd floor of a hotel in SLC during that massive earthquake, to some crazy winter blizzard in Idaho, to a sunny day in the Tetons, to having to blast back to Chicago after getting caught up in CO closures to pick up a car and tow it to NJ because the shipping company wasn't taking anymore cars to Germany.... all things considered, IMG_2585.jpg I'd say it was a hell of an adventure. Deemed it the Corona Bash.

Attachments

Reactions: 18163.175

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Welcome to Overland Bound Allen
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Overland Expo East is this October. https://www.overlandexpo.com/east
Overland Expo Mountain West is this August. Overland Expo Mountain West is this August.https://www.overlandexpo.com/mtnwest
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @geekhouse23
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course