New Orleans, LA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Cantu
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
If you were given $750 to invest in overlanding gear, what would you get and why? It doesn’t have to be only 1 purchase, it could be multiple but it can’t exceed $750 in total.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I need a roof top cargo carrier so's I can carry more stuff that I don't use everyday but really need on extended trip. Stuff like tools, recovery gear, fishing gear, etc. Also, need a rear hitch swing gate for fuel, water, spare tire, and the E-bike I want. Probably going to need a trailer too. I think $5K will get me close.

But, if you need tent, stove, sleeping bag, or any other basic stuff you should think about that first. Depends on where you are in the process. Good Luck!

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
1/2 towards staying on top of maintenance needs (trans cooler comes to mind) 1/2 towards fuel (my V8 is always hungry). If there was anything left... maybe some new soft shackles.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Nothing. My rig is perfect and doesn't need anything. NOT! But I'd use it to continue my truck's maintenance, stuff's not exactly cheap even for an 02. However a 270 degree awning would be nice.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Also fuel - we can get more or less anywhere we want now (in terms of the vehicle, not the pandemic) so spending it on doing so makes more sense than more kit.

If it has to be "gear" then I suppose that a bigger solar panel would be the answer.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I suppose what may become 25 pages of facebook-like, non-conversational injects could be... neat? But, if you want this threat to be of value, what are your interests? Where are you at with your rig?

$750 will buy a budget winch setup, a basic lift kit for most vehicles, four new tires, a decent amount of preventative maintenance, a good 12v fridge, a lot of camping gear, or enough gas for a fun trip. All of those are valid expenses for the Internet Overlander, but all of them fulfill complete different priorities.

Reactions: Sparksalot

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I suppose what may become 25 pages of facebook-like, non-conversational injects could be... neat? But, if you want this threat to be of value, what are your interests? Where are you at with your rig?

$750 will buy a budget winch setup, a basic lift kit for most vehicles, four new tires, a decent amount of preventative maintenance, a good 12v fridge, a lot of camping gear, or enough gas for a fun trip. All of those are valid expenses for the Internet Overlander, but all of them fulfill complete different priorities.
I cant get four cooper discoverer at3's for less than $900. And those are just over 32 inches. Never mind 33's, unfortunately

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I'd go with preventative maintenance and/ or fuel. Although I need recovery straps, too. If you are handy with a wrench, that $750 can go a long way. On the other hand, if you are handy with a wench, well, you'll be spending a h3ll of a lot more, and for years to come

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

A litre of oil, a deep fried beaver tail (google it) and some poutine. The Canadian dollar doesn't go very far, eh :-)
Now.... if that was US dollars I'd buy a new rig!!

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I cant get four cooper discoverer at3's for less than $900. And those are just over 32 inches. Never mind 33's, unfortunately
Of course not everyone will get their exact pet-preference brands and models of everything I listed, but there are certainly winches and fridges and tires and camping gear and maintenance items and road trips that can be had for $750......

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Of course not everyone will get their exact pet-preference brands and models of everything I listed, but there are certainly winches and fridges and tires and camping gear and maintenance items and road trips that can be had for $750......
For sure. I could get a lesser name brand which could be all the quality I need.

I beleive that 750 is about my fuel estimate for Boston to Big Sky and back

Or a couple, three days at Buck's T4 Lodge.

Oddly enough, it would cover any of those things, but not parts only for ACDelco OE pads and rotors for my truck. Go figure

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I'd go with preventative maintenance and/ or fuel. Although I need recovery straps, too. If you are handy with a wrench, that $750 can go a long way. On the other hand, if you are handy with a wench, well, you'll be spending a h3ll of a lot more, and for years to come
Thank you, Tahoe. Tip your waitress. I'll be here all the week

• Haha
Reactions: BigH2OChief

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I’d buy a refrigerator. The Iceco dual zone I want just happens to be about $750, too.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I just built a wooden deck/drawer setup for my truck bed. Nothing fancy, mind you. Some 2x8's, some 1x8's (common boards!) couple half inch 8 ft sheets of plywood. If I knew it was going to be almost $300 in lumber, I might have used the $750 towards that!

(Not really, though. I still would have done preventative maintenance first, but still-the price of lumber has jumped a lot this year)

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
We've pretty much got everything we need that would cost less than a couple grand. So, for $750, we'd probably spend it on food and food prep.