Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

When I was younger, flexibility was the name of the game, and planning was left to a minimum (e.g. General Route, Potential Campsites, Number of Days, etc.)
with only 2 fixed points - start and end location / dates.
That offered spontaneity, flexibility and the great unknown.

Having 2 young kids changed all that......

With young kids, planning is necessary for many different reasons.
From number of days holiday available from school, campsites with adequate facilities, general store locations, Ferry Bookings, etc..

Also, we typically book a number of "events" along the way (e.g. whale watching tours, horse riding tours, glacier tours, etc.).

Therefore, the number of "hard points" in the plan increases....

We typically leave some time / days between each "hard point" on the map / plan, to allow for some degree of flexibility.
However, the Start and End locations / dates, plus the booked events locations / dates are always "hard points".

As the kids now move into their teenage years, I hope the degree of flexibility will grow with time.
However, to them, internet connectivity seems to be far more important than oxygen, food or campsite location !!!
Its really hard to get them completely "Off Grid"

We have also used Google Earth to pre-plan our routes.
But I still prefer to look at maps, books, info leaflets, etc. and plan routes directly onto a paper base map.
Why? Paper base maps don't need power...........
Still prefer to not rely solely upon digital data - like to use a hand compass and paper map, and then verify with digital info and maps.
Goes back to my basic training as a field geologist.......

Having a plan also helps some folks keep focus.
That can be an important issue

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

For me it depends where I am going and for how long, also, if its just me or a group.

I have lead a couple group runs now and those get WAY more attention for the following reasons:
  • It allows others joining to plan for mileage, fuel needs etc
  • It also allows them to speak up if for some reason we missed something they wanted to do or see
  • It sets a schedule for those that need deadlines ( IE , if you have slow starters in the group you could find everyone waiting on them in the AM, deadlines known ahead of time help this)
That said, I like doing them with a "Earliest ETA" for each day so we know how much goof off time we have each day, as some have more than others. I detail expected mileage per leg, expected time duration over terrain for said mileage, and stops (with time allocated for exploring etc) planned out. I will also listed sites/highlights as possible from research and mark all these things on the GPS route.

When its just me and those close to me in one rig, we are a bit looser.

An example:
itinerary example.JPG

Reactions: AZ WANDERING BEAR

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

i plan the route well because i try and make a gpx file available to other drivers on the trip. for the camping sites, i may have a particular one in mind, but am open to options we find on the fly in the general area. i learned on a trip this summer that no mater how good your plans are, be ready to scrap pkans a, b, and c and fly by the seat of your pants. you can plan for everything and maps and photos are no substitute for real and recent first hand experience.

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
I plan my route itself in detail but the timeline Is difficult for me as I like to rock hound a bit and just enjoy the scenery here and their but in the evening it can make it hard to find a free camp spot/boondocking spot for the night since I dont know where I will be along the planned route..
So how well do you plan your routes and timeline for your trips?
I prefer to have a general idea and then wing it.