Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Stillwater, OK, USA
First Name
Olen
Last Name
Weaver
Member #

I have a Subaru Forester, so I have limited space to carry gear, especially when the family joins me. I need a way to transport my all in one diesel heater outside my vehicle. I've hauled it in my Thule rooftop cargo carrier, but I just bought a rooftop tent so the roof box is going away. I plan to get a swing out rear tire carrier so I may be able to carry the heater on an accessory hitch. At this point, I am open to suggestions.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i have a swing away carrier i use sometimes on my tundra and absolutely love it. as im sure you already know, the heater isnt made to be exposed to the elements, so a good cover will be needed. i would do the swing away and find a small grill cover and modify it to fit the heater and that should work. here is a carrier with a molle rack that looks like it would work really well

Reactions: Olen

Olen

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Stillwater, OK, USA
First Name
Olen
Last Name
Weaver
Member #

Hitch basket?
Yeah, but much smaller. All the hitch baskets I’ve seen are pretty big. Unless you know of a small basket. I’ve looked at cargo baskets that ride above a jeep spare tire that I may be able to modify to fit an auxiliary receiver hitch on the swing away but it’d be cool if there were commercially available small basket.

Olen

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Stillwater, OK, USA
First Name
Olen
Last Name
Weaver
Member #

i have a swing away carrier i use sometimes on my tundra and absolutely love it. as im sure you already know, the heater isnt made to be exposed to the elements, so a good cover will be needed. i would do the swing away and find a small grill cover and modify it to fit the heater and that should work. here is a carrier with a molle rack that looks like it would work really well

Thanks for the link. I’ve been looking for a good option for the Subaru.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Yeah, but much smaller. All the hitch baskets I’ve seen are pretty big. Unless you know of a small basket. I’ve looked at cargo baskets that ride above a jeep spare tire that I may be able to modify to fit an auxiliary receiver hitch on the swing away but it’d be cool if there were commercially available small basket.
long story made short....i had a utility wagon from northern tool that was basically a wire grate on wheels. my son jacked up the wagon wheels and i kept the grate that was the wagon body and ended up using it as a cargo basket. there are quite a few things like that that can be used...even go find a kids radio flyer wagon and spray paint the tub a different color and mount it to the hitch. tons of options if you think outside the box....

Olen

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Stillwater, OK, USA
First Name
Olen
Last Name
Weaver
Member #

long story made short....i had a utility wagon from northern tool that was basically a wire grate on wheels. my son jacked up the wagon wheels and i kept the grate that was the wagon body and ended up using it as a cargo basket. there are quite a few things like that that can be used...even go find a kids radio flyer wagon and spray paint the tub a different color and mount it to the hitch. tons of options if you think outside the box....

Oh, nice! Thanks for the ideas. I’ll use a little Oklahoma ingenuity to make something work for me.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I’ll use a little Oklahoma ingenuity to make something work for me.
nice! :grinning:
speaking of oklahoma...went to broken bow for the first time a year ago and really liked it. oklahoma is on our list of places to explore now...

here is that northern tool wagon that i mounted to the swing away carrier. perfect size and was basically free since rest of the wagon was messed up and here is the swing away i bought. its VERY strong and well built...that pic is out at black gap west texas where it was loaded down with at least 150 pounds and bounced all over the desert for a week with zero issues

1669570110249.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: FishinCrzy and Olen

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We just purchased an all in one diesel heater and took it out on a two week trip. did not want diesel smell in the rig, so we placed it inside our Last US Bag spare tire bag, there was just enough room to place the heater in the bag with a 2 gallon rotopax full of diesel alongside. Worked like a champ and still had room in the bag on top for trash bag or a bundle of fire wood. Our heater came without the vent hole in the cap drilled out so absolutly no spillage or smell on a 3500 mile trip. Note since there was no vent hole we have to remember to losen the cap a quarter turn before using the heater or else the little fuel pump will suck the plastic fuel tank completely flat overnight.... don't ask me how we found that tidbit out lol, pressurized the tank with a bit of air and good as new. If you have the hole a bit of elec tape would seal it up for transport I would think, although there is a baffle that may prevent any spillage. sure was nice to have the nice dry heat on the trip though.

SkunkedGorilla

Rank III

Advocate II

Cochrane, AB, Canada
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Korczak
We just purchased an all in one diesel heater and took it out on a two week trip. did not want diesel smell in the rig, so we placed it inside our Last US Bag spare tire bag, there was just enough room to place the heater in the bag with a 2 gallon rotopax full of diesel alongside. Worked like a champ and still had room in the bag on top for trash bag or a bundle of fire wood. Our heater came without the vent hole in the cap drilled out so absolutly no spillage or smell on a 3500 mile trip. Note since there was no vent hole we have to remember to losen the cap a quarter turn before using the heater or else the little fuel pump will suck the plastic fuel tank completely flat overnight.... don't ask me how we found that tidbit out lol, pressurized the tank with a bit of air and good as new. If you have the hole a bit of elec tape would seal it up for transport I would think, although there is a baffle that may prevent any spillage. sure was nice to have the nice dry heat on the trip though.
What a great idea...., think this would be perfect for my plans.

Reactions: OTH Overland

Kit_553812

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Kit
Last Name
Tran
@OTH Overland

I need to get a diesel tank cap with NO hole as I have been unsuccessful at keeping fuel from spilling out of the tiny vent hole even with electrical tape (the glue and tape seems to get dissolved by the fuel), and other plastic plugs.... gets loose with the terrain I have been on....

Does anyone know of a source to get the proper size cap? TIA

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
@OTH Overland

I need to get a diesel tank cap with NO hole as I have been unsuccessful at keeping fuel from spilling out of the tiny vent hole even with electrical tape (the glue and tape seems to get dissolved by the fuel), and other plastic plugs.... gets loose with the terrain I have been on....

You'll have to scour Amazon for tanks, and pay close attention to the cap. I've seen several on there that don't have the vent holes.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Do you run the heater out of the bag hanging off the spare tire? Just tuck the heat tube inside the rig?
Andrew, I do not run the heater in the bag, would have visions of it melting through the bag in the middle of the night...lol I remove it and set it on the ground tucked under the back of the Jeep to keep it out of the majority of the elements. I leave the flexible intake air hose and filter attached and folded up the back of the unit when putting it away, The exhaust is bent to a 90 degree and I slip it over the fitting on the heater with a hose clamp, remove for storage. I tried one of the amazon slinky hoses for supply air, but did not like the smell that came out of it, was not going to last long due to how thin of a material they use, and unless stretched out fully the inner diameter was so restrictive it caused errors on the heater. I bought a silicone hose that is flexible but does not collapse or have any slinky action. We cut it to a length that will reach from ground level into the tent door, which also allows it to enter the rear of the annex and extend to the middle under the table by the ladder which keeps both annex and tent warm.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
@OTH Overland

We purchased our heater from Hcalory (Mainly because of the taller snap on legs that help get the exhaust from under the unit) ours had a dimple for the vent hole but no actual hole, not sure if that was by design or accident. perhaps you can order a replacement cap from them, guessing they are likely all the same thread? and see if you a holey one or not... maybe you can seal the one on your unit with some two part epoxy or melt it shut with a soldering iron? just remember with no hole you will need to loosen the cap slightly before use to prevent tank collapse, then the hard part is remembering to tighten it before transport or you get a really big mess.

Reactions: MazeVX

Olen

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Stillwater, OK, USA
First Name
Olen
Last Name
Weaver
Member #

Do you run the heater out of the bag hanging off the spare tire? Just tuck the heat tube inside the rig?
Andrew, I do not run the heater in the bag, would have visions of it melting through the bag in the middle of the night...lol I remove it and set it on the ground tucked under the back of the Jeep to keep it out of the majority of the elements. I leave the flexible intake air hose and filter attached and folded up the back of the unit when putting it away, The exhaust is bent to a 90 degree and I slip it over the fitting on the heater with a hose clamp, remove for storage. I tried one of the amazon slinky hoses for supply air, but did not like the smell that came out of it, was not going to last long due to how thin of a material they use, and unless stretched out fully the inner diameter was so restrictive it caused errors on the heater. I bought a silicone hose that is flexible but does not collapse or have any slinky action. We cut it to a length that will reach from ground level into the tent door, which also allows it to enter the rear of the annex and extend to the middle under the table by the ladder which keeps both annex and tent warm.
I, too tried one of the Amazon slinky hoses that was recommended by Revere Overland and was unhappy with it. It smelled bad and had to extend the entire 16 feet. Next morning I couldn’t get it to retract to its compact size. I tried to keep it as straight as possible but it was still too restrictive. Didn’t cause an error on the heater, but I did use a lot more fuel than I had before switching to this hose. Looking for a different option now.

If anyone has a recommendation for heater hose that doesn’t stink and is still compact for travel, I’d appreciate it. Hose doesn’t need to be more than 9-10 feet.

Last edited: