How to reduce the noise on a roof rack?

• HTML tutorial

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

Hi, I just mounted my roof rack today and it's so noisy. Even driving at 25mph a loud growl could be heard. Do pool noodles and bungee cords really do the trick? Or should I look into something more official

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

They make air deflectors for them. You could make one if your company does not have them. They help a lot amount but there will still be some noise from the rack.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Flooring can help, and also makes a great platform for standing on or loading smaller items. A popular one is FarmTek non-overlapping chicken coop flooring. This stuff is near indestructible and will last forever.

If there's no option for a manufacturer's fairing, try using some cardboard and zipties to isolate where the noise is coming from. Then you could get some acrylic, cut it as needed and have your own wind deflector.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I had to put the air dam on mine. The wind noise in a topless Wrangler was almost unbearable. The one I installed is manufactured specifically for my rack.

Before:

After:

My air dam cut the noise 70% by my own estimation.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Wind fairing and flooring are pretty great. Watch those light bars because they make a lot of noise and are up front where the driver can hear it the most. Mine is tucked under my wind fairing (single row led) to try and avoid that issue.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

If you want to experience noise, try riding in my XJ, LED light bar on the upper windshield, snorkel, roof rack and now the awning.. lol

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

You could fab your own fairing out of plexiglass. Another thing to try would be to position the rack a bit further back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BEAR

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, California, United States
First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

Wind fairing and flooring are pretty great. Watch those light bars because they make a lot of noise and are up front where the driver can hear it the most. Mine is tucked under my wind fairing (single row led) to try and avoid that issue.

What kind of light bar is that? I love it.

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Thanks guys! Wow! I really love your Land Rover set up.

Anyone know what I could use on mine? It was custom made :( https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13173811_10210100026603071_3689539019479816753_n.jpg?oh=867921ea01a741b3a1c97b4a151c7470&oe=57E6D70F
Looks great!
I say measure the width and pick up the closest sized fairing from Thule/Yakima/Inno. They sell them on Amazon, and range in price between $60 to $100. It will make a huge amount of difference.

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

I took a 2 in Aluminum angle from Lowes. Cut it to fit the length of my light, took edge molding I bought at Auto Zone, placed it in the fins on the back angled up. Took out a lot of noise, use 2 one up one down if you have a soft top

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Like the LED bar! Where'd you get that?

Reactions: pl626

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Never mind...if I just read a little further....