How to protect CB Firestik antenna?

• HTML tutorial

FlyingFischer5

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
Member #

What is a good way to protect my Firestik antenna when I pull into my garage? My antenna is about 1ft taller than my garage opening and am getting tire of taking it off every time. Is taking it off every time something I have to live with or is there a way to protect it without compromising the reception?

Thanks

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I actually have two antennas. I run a 2' one daily (it just barley hits the door opening) and keep the 4' one behind the back seat for if and when I need it. I run a spring under both.

To be honest, I run the 2' just so I can have a CB antenna on my truck so I can look cool. :laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: rockymntjeeper

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
You can easily install a spring or quick disconnect, but your best option will be a shorter antenna.
I have a WILSON 5000, with both a spring, and a quick disconnect. The most important item was a clip I made to bow the antenna in a loop. This allowed clearance in parking structures.

Now I know a firestick is fiberglass. I have seen people use a spring and tie-dowm to create the clearance needed for low over-hamgs with them. Now they were mounted on a corner, and not centered, thus creating a ...HOOP...across the vehicle, rather than front to back. As was stated by a poster above, using a spring AND a quick disconnect is your best bet.

A spring whip has that little button on it which allows my home-made clip a grab point. Something I did on a fiberglass dune whip, was using a old fishing pole steel line quide with glue and thread to make attachment point on the whip similar to the original fishing pole. Make a string or thin nylon strap with a clip to use with it, if and when needed.

I hope this gives you ideas and options. Fiberglass is not as forgiving as steel, but fire sticks are one of the better antennas, and are worth exploring options with.

Reactions: rockymntjeeper

FlyingFischer5

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
Member #

Thanks for some tips. I'm debating on if I want to go with shorter, quick connect, and/or spring. Maybe I'll have to do a combo of those to get the setup I want. I jumped the gun on the 4ft without measuring what I really needed. Ha

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Just my 2 cents. I tried the fire stick quick disconect as well as the spring. I could not get it tuned under a 3.5 on the swr meter which is useless. After attaching antenna directly to mount tuned it to a 1.2 on the swr meter. I believe these mods are a great idea but do not work to say the least. Good luck & like I said just my 2 cents.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Just my 2 cents. I tried the fire stick quick disconect as well as the spring. I could not get it tuned under a 3.5 on the swr meter which is useless. After attaching antenna directly to mount tuned it to a 1.2 on the swr meter. I believe these mods are a great idea but do not work to say the least. Good luck & like I said just my 2 cents.
That's good to know by those exploring options. It will probably save people some money and a lot of aggravation.

FlyingFischer5

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
Member #

Well thanks for the heads up! Looks like a short one is the way to go!

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

You can easily install a spring or quick disconnect, but your best option will be a shorter antenna.
I use the spring and quick release setup. The spring will help when going through the drive through windows also.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Yes it was very agrivating ordering parts waiting,installing, then to try to tune & did not tune for @#¥§
I feel your pain. Been there. I eventually went with a Wilson 1000 and never looked back. Yeah, it drags on drive throughs and I do have to tune it once in a while because of that but gawd it works good.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I feel your pain. Been there. I eventually went with a Wilson 1000 and never looked back. Yeah, it drags on drive throughs and I do have to tune it once in a while because of that but gawd it works good.
I have had good luck with my WILSON 5000. I have also used fiberglass units. The steel is more forgiving if you expect to be bumping it.