Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

IMO I would take the engine off and everything out of the boat and strap it down. I would think twice about changing tires because trailer tires are not the same as vehicle tires. WD-40 your leaf springs and lug nuts. I carry a extra hub/bearing kit and 2 spares. Make sure you have a jack that works with your trailer.

Last edited:

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
Is your trailer equipped for off road? The lakes we frequent often can’t accommodate a boat trailer so we have never invested in one. I can throw my 12’ smoker jon on my little Jeep trailer but it gets a bit wonky with the length of the boat and the RTT.

for me when I think of “overlanding” it’s often off pavement as much as possible but more so it’s about burning mileage and not setting up base camp. So in terms on that I would make sure you have adequate axle clearance and good bearing and such as said in previous post.

Reactions: Billiebob

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The lakes we frequent often can’t accommodate a boat trailer
This ^^^ there are no real boat launches once you are overland bound.

And I agree, don't leave the engine hanging off the transom if you are actually overlanding.

A picture of the boat hooked up would help. When you say "work" boat, what is that, a welded aluminium boat with a jet drive or ??