How to make a killer fire kit

• HTML tutorial

Dave Decker

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Paradise Hills, NM
Member #

Nice kits! I've got two similar ones that I keep, one in each of my go-bags. Another option for those beautiful sunny days is a credit card size Fresnel lens. Remember as a kid starting leaves, and other things, on fire with a magnifying lens? Same thing, but more compact. They fit great in the lid of the Altoids tins and make for one more method available. Great for those days when its sunny out and you don't want to use up the good stuff. They're available on Amazon for as little as $4.80 for a dozen.

Reactions: Ditch

Dave Decker

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Paradise Hills, NM
Member #

Oh, almost forgot, there's also the Livefire 550 paracord with one of the inner strands replaced with fire starter. It makes for great shoe/boot laces, zipper pulls, tent cord, or anything else that you can use paracord for with the added benefit of the fire starter. It works well too, burns easily with a spark from a ferro rod or lighter and burns for a couple of minutes.

amateurhour

Rank III

Advocate II

I went overboard but I realized that for a relatively low cost I can never be without fire.

- I have a paracord band on my wrist that's got some fishing line, a couple of waterproof matches, fishhooks, a small blade, and the buckle is a ferro rod.
- I keep a lighter in my pocket usually at all times.
- My car has a working cigarette lighter and my go-bag in my car has a ferro rod and a fresnel lens
- All of my camping packs/bug out bags have at least three ways to start a fire, separated into different places so if I lose part of the bag I still likely have a way to make fire.
- My shotgun and hunting rifle both have a zipper pouch with a ferro rod in them and a striker.

I mean I've got maybe $20 in that entire setup and I don't know of a way I could be caught in a situation where I wouldn't be able to make a fire.

I'm weird though : )

Reactions: Ditch and Cort

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

The Fire Kit I've accumulated consist of Char Clothe & Flint Strike, Matches Water & Wind proof, Lighters, Ferro Rods, Condom (Yep That Right), Steel Wool & 9 Volt Battery, Magnify Glass, Small Fresnel Lens, dried tinder bundle and cat tails.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
CUTE. .... AND AS MENTIONED....OVERKILL. but tongue in cheek....a bit of truth. You just have to be real careful and only use for a initial ...COLD start.

Tinder...vasaline cotton balls...magnesium.....strike anywhere matches. This and other methods are much safer.

Also to remember...small fires...stay close/warm....big fires...stand back....freeze.

Reactions: RainGoat

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

CUTE. .... AND AS MENTIONED....OVERKILL. but tongue in cheek....a bit of truth. You just have to be real careful and only use for a initial ...COLD start.

Tinder...vasaline cotton balls...magnesium.....strike anywhere matches. This and other methods are much safer.

Also to remember...small fires...stay close/warm....big fires...stand back....freeze.
Guess I'm not getting the comment Cute or Overkill. Being in the Military 23 years and learning different methods of survival was not really considered cute it was a necessity. My thought you can never have enough avenues of approach when learning a variety of Fire Starting skills. I guess it depends on the environment you are currently in on what you think is best for the situation.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Guess I'm not getting the comment Cute or Overkill. Being in the Military 23 years and learning different methods of survival was not really considered cute it was a necessity. My thought you can never have enough avenues of approach when learning a variety of Fire Starting skills. I guess it depends on the environment you are currently in on what you think is best for the situation.
I quoted another poster and made a attempt at humour....for the poster who just wanted to use a 5 gallon Jerry can as the end all for fire starting. I believe he was also making a stab at humor.:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Being able to get a fire going can be life or death. It also can be exasperating when your freezing and trying to get the water boiling for that first cup of coffee[emoji2]

Something that is telling:

After 20 years...there are some players who can barely make fire on the TV show SURVIVOR. And they know it's part of what is expected of them.:fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

Last edited:

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

Great kit!
I also have a second Altoid tin with char cloth and cedar bark strips along with pine pitch when I can find it.
There are several ewetoob videos on how to make char cloth. My favorite is from Brooke Whipple aka Girl in the woods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cort and PatriotT4R

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

Great kits.

My advice: practice with them. Once a month, in cold, rainy, whatever conditions.

As a primitive skills instructor, I have seen a lot of people who have great equipment but have not practiced enough to not give up or freak out when the first spark didn't immediately burst into flames.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I keep day packs in two vehicles (the ones I drive) and have a variety of ways to make fire. Little kits with commercial and homemade tinder (cotton balls/vaseline), a Bic, waterproof matches, and a sparking method). Overkill and I've never once in 50+ years of camping and travel had to make a fire I couldn't make with a lighter/match but those of us who do what we do are boy scouts at heart.

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

One more thing - get a good refillable lighter for your kit (used to say Zippo, but there are other options now - I have a "waterproof/windproof" butane cigar lighter). Waterproof it with ranger bands if you don't get a waterproof (ish) one. The main reason to put the band on a zippo is the lighter fluid actually evaporates over time - a week or so in a hot vehicle.

It's worth it to stash a few disposable lighters around too. I wouldn't trust them as my only fire starting option, but they're handy.

Once you get survival fire starting down, practice every once in a while or show off for people, but using a lighter isn't cheating - you're lighting your propane stove, twig stove, or a campfire - do it as effectively as you want :-).

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

If I am having a difficult time starting a fire with my fero rod and or lighters on my tinder. I will resort to my cotton balls soaked in vaseline. These things don't pose a fire hazard while stored however once lit with a lighter they burn hot and consistant for a great source. Try soaking yours in vasaline today! XD