How to make a killer fire kit

• HTML tutorial

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

One more thing - get a good refillable lighter for your kit (used to say Zippo, but there are other options now - I have a "waterproof/windproof" butane cigar lighter). Waterproof it with ranger bands if you don't get a waterproof (ish) one. The main reason to put the band on a zippo is the lighter fluid actually evaporates over time - a week or so in a hot vehicle.

It's worth it to stash a few disposable lighters around too. I wouldn't trust them as my only fire starting option, but they're handy.

Once you get survival fire starting down, practice every once in a while or show off for people, but using a lighter isn't cheating - you're lighting your propane stove, twig stove, or a campfire - do it as effectively as you want :-).
I'm not carrying a Zippo these days but I tried an experiment with one where I used a *ranger* band (read: cut piece of bicycle innertube) over the seam separating the top from the bottom and I think the fluid lasted (unused) around three weeks. Without that seal, you might get a week.

Last edited: