How much would you plan for a 17 day trip? (Freaking out)

• HTML tutorial

Island Overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Veerkamp
Member #

So normally I plan trips out pretty thoroughly. Not this time. I have a rough route planned out and marked some potential camping spots in Gaia. Leaving on a long weekend probably isn't the best, but we need to get off this island for a while.

Just gotta relax a little.

Reactions: TerryD

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So normally I plan trips out pretty thoroughly. Not this time. I have a rough route planned out and marked some potential camping spots in Gaia. Leaving on a long weekend probably isn't the best, but we need to get off this island for a while.

Just gotta relax a little.
Honestly, I would loosely plan out a few days. The gear should be pretty much typical of your past trips. Have a few days of food, and some emergency reserve food. Then just go find your adventure. Just let friends and family know the direction your headed each day, AND if the plan changes.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Leaving on August long....... book that ferry is all I can add. Without a plan for camping find out where the WalMarts are. Are you tenting or camping inside? If you have food, cooking, sleeping on board..... enjoy the freedom.

Where might the "rough route" take you?

Me I'd likely aim for Horseshoe Bay and head north rather than Tsawassen and hit grid lock.... after Pemberton the options are pretty endless for boon docking. Leave on the first ferry and have breakfast in Horseshoe Bay. Great dining opportunities there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Island Overlander

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I agree with @Billiebob reserve the ferry go to Horseshoe bay and head towards Whistler /Pemberton. But expect heavy traffic, it has been nuts in the lower mainland the last few weeks.

Some small advice stay away from Harrison Lake, it is a gong show most long weekends and has been way worse every weekend this year.

Once you hit Pemberton you can go over the Hurley or out via the Seaton Portage/Anderson lake

After that it should be pretty quiet lots of places to pull up well off the main and camp - it is cattle county so watch for wire and cattle guards even on the little out of the way tracks

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
2 things, one if you are planning on "winging it" for a trip, pick up a spot. It tracks you so your family can know where you are even if you don't. Two, it's good to live in a place where population is 1/10 the size of the land mass. Besides parks I have no worries about packed places to camp. Enjoy your trip! We will get to bc sooner than later.

Island Overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Veerkamp
Member #

Ferry is all reserved up so it means getting up early to catch the ferry. We have an in reach so the family will know our camping situation each night. Exploration is our theme this trip. Thanks for the input.