Enthusiast II

Taylorsville, NC, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Yoder
Member #

83AE6389-08B4-48C8-8B29-7E8F2E95C497.jpeg
This is my trailer build. My question is I’m ready to start adding a power source and need to know what will help supply enough power to handle a 64 quart Dometic, some LED lights, phone/accessories charging, a hot water shower pump and possibly a fan for the RTT. Should I do a deep cell battery and charge with solar panels? Or is there a better option? We normally go for 3-5 days at a time. Thanks for any input!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
"IF" you can get a few hours of full sun, you should be able to get away with 120-140 watt panel and a deep cycle battery. I have a 50qt on my trailer and everything you posted. I have a 120 watt panel that is not mounted, I just move it to wherever it will get the most sun during the day. If I can get full sun, whatever I used during the night is replaced in a couple of hours and then the panel runs the fridge. I believe my battery is a deep cycle group 24. I don't remember the AH but its a lead acid. I have run this setup for close to 10 years and the only time it's been an issue is deep forest where I can only get some sun. 100 degree CA desert, the fridge will draw more and my panel keeps up fine. I have a 20 foot 10 gauge wire going to it, so that's my limit for finding sunshine. If you run a long power feed, make sure your controller is in your trailer, not at the panel. You lose too much power in the wiring if it was.

Reactions: TyodRunner1206

TyodRunner1206

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Taylorsville, NC, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Yoder
Member #

"IF" you can get a few hours of full sun, you should be able to get away with 120-140 watt panel and a deep cycle battery. I have a 50qt on my trailer and everything you posted. I have a 120 watt panel that is not mounted, I just move it to wherever it will get the most sun during the day. If I can get full sun, whatever I used during the night is replaced in a couple of hours and then the panel runs the fridge. I believe my battery is a deep cycle group 24. I don't remember the AH but its a lead acid. I have run this setup for close to 10 years and the only time it's been an issue is deep forest where I can only get some sun. 100 degree CA desert, the fridge will draw more and my panel keeps up fine. I have a 20 foot 10 gauge wire going to it, so that's my limit for finding sunshine. If you run a long power feed, make sure your controller is in your trailer, not at the panel. You lose too much power in the wiring if it was.
Thanks for that input man. That’s basically what I wanted to do. Just wasn’t sure what size everything I would need. So you think 120 watt panel would be fine?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
It is for me. I have an older 50qt whytner fridge so my power draw is probably close to yours. If I was to do it again i would get two or three smaller ones. Easier to deal with and I could place them around. Something to think about. A 120 panel is big.

TyodRunner1206

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Taylorsville, NC, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Yoder
Member #

It is for me. I have an older 50qt whytner fridge so my power draw is probably close to yours. If I was to do it again i would get two or three smaller ones. Easier to deal with and I could place them around. Something to think about. A 120 panel is big.
Yeah that’s a good idea. Especially if your not mounting it somewhere on the trailer. Would make it easier to store when not using.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Yeah that’s a good idea. Especially if your not mounting it somewhere on the trailer. Would make it easier to store when not using.
Or get a foldable one. They pack like slim suitcase and come with a protective cover. For transport you would want a protective cover anyway, either it is foldable or not. So if you get the foldable type you solve booth issues, storage and protection.