Launch Member

Contributor II

Gastonia, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Im not sure if this is the correct area to post this question, i apologize if it is not.
I have a 2016 tacoma trd sport. I was wondering what amount of lift i would need to run 33's. And if brake line extensions would be necessary?

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Not an expert - pure speculation, but, I'd be surprised if you couldn't fit 33" tires - depending on width - with stock suspension.

Saying that, I'd be apprehensive to lift further than 2". Shouldn't require brake line extension but, again, speculating.

Andrew95

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Gastonia, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Not an expert - pure speculation, but, I'd be surprised if you couldn't fit 33" tires - depending on width - with stock suspension.

Saying that, I'd be apprehensive to lift further than 2". Shouldn't require brake line extension but, again, speculating.
Thanks. I mainly just want to drive on the beach for fishing trips. Internet horror stories made me believe i needed a 4" lift with 35's.

Virginiawilderness

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vienna, Virginia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Harris
Member #

I’d bet you could get away with doing a mild suspensoun lift of about 2 or 2.5 inches and a 1 or 1.5 inch body lift. I think you’d have to do a front differential drop but I don’t know about the break lines. There are probably some good tutorials out there in a Tacoma forum.

Virginiawilderness

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vienna, Virginia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Harris
Member #

I did a 2.5 inch lift initially and added a body lift after the front end settled out and I got a little rubbing. But, my 97 4Runner is probably a little different than your late model Taco. Good luck!

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

You may not need a lift and certainly not for the beach. Stock vehicles go on the beach. The purpose of larger tires is to increase ground clearance as your differentials are the low point. A suspension lift is sometimes needed to fit larger tires. There are multiple kinds of lifts. Blocks which just lift the body. They provide no real additional capability and are primarily for looks. A suspension lift which includes rears springs and longer travel shocks and front coilovers and Upper control arms allow for longer wheel travel and typically make it easier to align the wheels as the geometry changes with a lift. Anything over 3" introduces other issues that cost more money to overcome. For the Tacoma the best place to go is tacomaworld.com Everything and more is there.

Andrew95

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Gastonia, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Smith
Member #

You may not need a lift and certainly not for the beach. Stock vehicles go on the beach. The purpose of larger tires is to increase ground clearance as your differentials are the low point. A suspension lift is sometimes needed to fit larger tires. There are multiple kinds of lifts. Blocks which just lift the body. They provide no real additional capability and are primarily for looks. A suspension lift which includes rears springs and longer travel shocks and front coilovers and Upper control arms allow for longer wheel travel and typically make it easier to align the wheels as the geometry changes with a lift. Anything over 3" introduces other issues that cost more money to overcome. For the Tacoma the best place to go is tacomaworld.com Everything and more is there.
So you think i should be fine at stock height. And some A/T's

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i did a leveling kit on my tundra and essentially have 34s" on it. cheap and easy

Reactions: Andrew95

Andrew95

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Gastonia, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Smith
Member #

For the beach? Absolutely. Air down and your street tires are fine. How often will you be on the beach? I was in Corolla over new years. Lot's of stock vehicles with stock tires.
I will only be on the beach for a day or 2, not traveling far either. Drive out maybe 1/4 mile and camp out at freeman park. Just some weekend fishing trips. What psi do you recommend to air down to?

Reactions: Bama_Kiwi

Andrew95

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Gastonia, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Keep in mind, at that air pressure, you'll want to keep crawling speed, basically. No drag runs down the beach lol

Don't forget some sort of method for airing back up to highway pressures once you're off the beach, too.
For sure man. Ill keep the 1/4 mile busts to a minimum

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
If you are just driving on a beach then you don't need extra ground clearance, so stock sized tires should be fine. Tread pattern (traction) is more important than diameter in that situation. I'd also recommend making sure you have a shovel and solid front and rear recovery points, and if you are going alone a set of traction boards wouldn't be a bad idea.

Personally I wouldn't air tires down below ~15psi without some kind of bead locking device.