How much led light is too much led lights?

• HTML tutorial

sapietrzak

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Pietrzak
Curious as to what would be considered too much? I currently have two sources on the front one on the roof other on my bumper. May add some on the fenders.

SteveS

Rank 0

Contributor II

When you start asking. . . . it may be too much. . . . .

Ha! Whatever YOU like and works for YOU is all that matters. Personally, I run high beams and if needed a simple pair of Hellas on the trail and have not had the need for more light.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

sapietrzak

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Pietrzak
I mean Im only contemplating on adding one more set to the front of the vehicle. But I will end up with a 360 degree view of lighting on my jeep

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
I'm a big fan of plenty of light. That being said, I am also a fan of being able to control how much light I'm using.

I don't have this now because I just bought a new truck, but I intend on putting a removable roof rack with front rear and side lighting. Each side on an individual switch.

AdventureWithDanan

Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Also @Gallowbraid, I looked long and hard at starting my own off road LED lighting company and even imported from 2 separate Chinese manufacturers and installed them on my prior Tundra next to a set of Rigid lights.

1 of the Rigids failed and was replaced under warranty. The Chinese lights didn't fail. However, the coating on the Chinese lights wore away within 12 months and the cast (aluminum??) metal was exposed and beginning to oxidize.

If you're going to go Chinese, you will get what you pay for, and make sure you get CREE LEDs rather than Epistar. You also want to make sure that the lights are at least IP67 preferably a higher rating like IP69 or IPx9

IP = ingress protection
First number: solids
Seconds number: liquids (or smaller particles than dirt basically)

You can Google "IP scale" if you want to really learn about it.

Reactions: Forest522 and ...

sapietrzak

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Pietrzak
Thats sort of what I have now but its not removable.

sapietrzak

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Pietrzak
I don't understand the question.
The question is. How much is too much when it cones to led light bars and I'll add lighting in general. There is that fine line of thats enough lighting to holy shit how many light bars do you have?

Philbobagginz

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Brick, NJ
Member #

There comes a point where it may be too many. I ran a 36" on my roof rack and 2 3" cubes on my pillars and that was perfect for lighting up trails at night. I currently have none on my trail hawk and I sure do miss them. Some people are more afraid of the dark than others.. To each their own, but I personally choose function over aesthetics.

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

Too much LED lighting? No such thing.

Uh...ok. Maybe there is. I'm going to second @SteveS and say that you need to do what works for you. I personally am almost where I want to be with my current setup of ditch lights and a LED bar in the lower bumper.

This provides a nice fill in the areas that the headlights don't hit and makes navigating the tight trails of the Appalachians a little easier. The only thing I'm lacking is any sort of long throw to fill in the middle of the field. I'm considering a pair of the ARB Intensity 9.5" lights, but for their premium price I'm half tempted to give some Chinese knock offs from Ebay a chance.

Here's a comparison of my LED's on (left) vs just the stock low beams and fogs (right).

I think the owner of that SuperDuty is afraid of the dark. He can light up a football field. Lol

Reactions: Graeman

sapietrzak

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Pietrzak
With my light bar and mini light I might add cubes on the fenders.

AdventureWithDanan

Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
I think you should just go with what you think is right.

How much do you want to see and how much do you want to spend to do it?

My plan (subject to change) is to have at least 1 light bar on the front, probably 1 cube light pointing diffused light off at a 45° angle from the front on each side, 1 or 2 diffused cubes for the sides, and probably a smaller light bar for the rear. Possibly some diffused cubes at a 45° angle from the rear. This will give me 360° light around the truck.

On my last tundra I installed cubes lights on the undercarriage so that I could light the entire underside of the vehicle. But they only came on when you opened a door or unlocked the truck.

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

With my light bar and mini light I might add cubes on the fenders.
I have my light bar, "alley" lights, rock lights, aux reverse lights, swapped out factory driving lights and fog lights and I have fantasies about a roof rack with floods!! Am I sick? Too much? I didn't mean to be (too) flip but lights are cool!!

Cubes on the fender are cool!! CBI makes "ditch lights" that I like very much and I think are similar.....since one of the "reasons" for my truck is a "World War Z" scenario - I think "too much light" is an irrelevant point......