Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I notice some consider a cooler to be more minimalist than a fridge. I agree in most senses it is. It is definitely a more simple approach, but the fridge has actually saved me room. Since Ice doesn't take up room, I can put all my food and drinks in the fridge instead of having to rotate items in.
I agree, the fridge is more minimalistic than the ice box. Way less work. And consistent temperature control.
No need to find, buy, rotate in new ice every few days.

And cheap if you shop garage sales. Mine cost $10..... altho I do want a new fridge this year.
The old blue cooler is my dry box, the Kooltron cooler my $10 fridge.
DSCN1464.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
MSR is a brand name... I have the MSR Windburner with 2.0l pot and coffee press. They make dual fuel stoves as well...

OH, Okay. I have a little Coleman stove like that I have had for 50 years. Not sure where I put it but I will look. It's should be somewhere close to my two burner 50 year old Coleman lantern. I wish people would spell things out instead of using initials for everything. I didn't realize I have become such a back woods uninformed yahoo til I got on the forums.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I agree, the fridge is more minimalistic than the ice box. Way less work. And consistent temperature control.
No need to find, buy, rotate in new ice every few days.

And cheap if you shop garage sales. Mine cost $10..... altho I do want a new fridge this year.
The old blue cooler is my dry box, the Kooltron cooler my $10 fridge.
View attachment 140934
@BillyBob, when your out in the wilds of Canada and your evening Dinner table is all set up with your brass candle Oprah, Do you howl at the moon too ?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
OH, Okay. I have a little Coleman stove like that I have had for 50 years. Not sure where I put it but I will look. It's should be somewhere close to my two burner 50 year old Coleman lantern. I wish people would spell things out instead of using initials for everything. I didn't realize I have become such a back woods uninformed yahoo til I got on the forums.
MSR is the brand Name... I don’t know if I can even think of what it stands for. It’s just been one of those names like Coleman to me. My mom had a MSR wisperlite like stove from her backpacking days and several red fuel bottles that said MSR. So when we packed up as kids, dad would ask if we grabbed the MSR... or he would ask if we grabbed the Coleman... depending on what the trip was.

Reactions: Road

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
MSR is the brand Name... I don’t know if I can even think of what it stands for. It’s just been one of those names like Coleman to me. My mom had a MSR wisperlite like stove from her backpacking days and several red fuel bottles that said MSR. So when we packed up as kids, dad would ask if we grabbed the MSR... or he would ask if we grabbed the Coleman... depending on what the trip was.
Kinda like if your in the army and your sarge tells you to get the BAR, everyone knows what that is. :-)

Reactions: grubworm and M Rose

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Ok, does your old Coleman run on white gas? If so, you are all set. :grinning: If it is propane, I doubt you can use the propane canister "inverted" on a stove of that era.

If you look at the photo I've included, you will notice a small U shaped tube rising up next to the burner. I think its called a generator ........... anyway, what that tube does is boil off the "liquid" propane from your tank providing the burner with propane "gas".
Without the generator tube to boil the liquid to a gas, liquid propane will flood your burner and it just won't work.

I don't want you heading out on a trip thinking you have the stove issue solved when if fact, you might not. :grinning:

MSR Whisperlite Universal shown below
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Contributor II

Manitoba
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Laidlaw
Yeah, winter camping in Canada would certainly require a different mindset. Obviously, survival of the low temps would be of the utmost priority.

Communications and proper extraction gear for the truck would be a very close 2nd, as being snowed/iced in during the night could/has been problematic/deadly to many.

An Arctic Expedition Tent built to handle wind and snow loads would be a must have IMHO. To say the least, much different than staggering out of the desert in 115F temps with a jug of water (hopefully) in hand. :grinning:
I agree. The hard part is finding the balance between survivability, durability, and ease of use without taking up all your space or requiring 6 people to set up camp.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
I agree. The hard part is finding the balance between survivability, durability, and ease of use without taking up all your space or requiring 6 people to set up camp.
I'll throw out a very expensive option, just as food for thought.

Pictured below is my truck with a Maggiolina Extreme Hard Shell Roof Top Tent. The top and bottom are insulated with a fiberglass shell. The mattress is 3" closed cell foam, which not only makes the tent comfy but helps insulate from the bottom as well.
The tent is a 4 season rated tent. the factory states wind testing to like 50mph. I can tell you it stands up amazingly in a good blow, as we do have wind in AZ. There is an insulated wall barrier available as an option for extreme winter use .......... which I do NOT have.

This particular model uses a hand crank to raise and lower. I like the hand crank system better than the gas struts because if the wind starts blowing, I can just reach outside and give the crank a slight turn and put more tension on the canvas preventing the dreaded canvas slapping in the wind syndrome. The hand crank system will not fail in cold conditions like gas struts often do, and the tent will handle snow loads much better than gas struts ever would.

I can go from my drivers seat to being tucked in, in a matter of say ......... 4 minutes with no help from anyone. It only sleeps 2 people, and I wouldn't want to hang out up there for days being it's so small. For sleeping and/or survival I wouldn't want a different roof top tent.

As pictured below, I have slept in this tent 3 consecutive nights with the temps in the 18F range and winds gusting from 5 to 20mph. I use a good quality 0 degree bag and I was as snug as a bug in a rug.

Roof Top Tents are by no means the end all, do all tent, but in your situation I think the advantages far out weigh the cons.

You are dealing with a totally different game up there in Canada for sure!

:grinning:

IMG_1004.jpg

Last edited:

Contributor II

Manitoba
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Laidlaw
I like the IDEA of roof top tents, but to me, I feel like there can be a loss for practicality, mind you, I have never used one.

-hight cost
-weight on roof
- they have to be packed up in order to use your vehicle.

I can see the pros too though: the speed of setup, insulation, etc.

UNFORTUNATELY, it isn't an option for me as my wife wouldn't be able to get into it due to physical limitations. For us it either has to be: ground tent, sleep in vehicle, or look at some sort of trailer. A teardrop would offer the same pros as a RTT in my opinion, but obviously includes its own set of limitations, including even higher cost.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
I like the IDEA of roof top tents, but to me, I feel like there can be a loss for practicality, mind you, I have never used one.

-hight cost
-weight on roof
- they have to be packed up in order to use your vehicle.

I can see the pros too though: the speed of setup, insulation, etc.

UNFORTUNATELY, it isn't an option for me as my wife wouldn't be able to get into it due to physical limitations. For us it either has to be: ground tent, sleep in vehicle, or look at some sort of trailer. A teardrop would offer the same pros as a RTT in my opinion, but obviously includes its own set of limitations, including even higher cost.
Here is your only option, :grinning:

Funny how it always boils down to money! :cry::cry: I know the feeling, a Teardrop trailer ...........................

e1ef1ef61f6444c43e6fe9ca734f56b5.jpg