Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Does anyone do extreme cold/winter overlanding with outdoor kitchen? How well do you find that works with minimalistic gear? I can't even really say I have seen that many reports of people doing that even with super duty setups and high-tech gear. As a Canadian, Winter is a fact of life that is unavoidable... And I often see that most people tend to overland in warmer climates, such as California, Arizona etc. where more minimal gear could probably go a longer way. Here, in winter, a SOL bivvy and a blanket is not going to cut it wen it is -40 C outside at night.
Well, here in Arizona we certainly don't get "Canada" cold. I am a Canuc by the way (from Ontario) living in the USA as a permanent resident.

With that said, it does drop to zero and slightly below at higher elevations in AZ in the winter. The deserts can get down into the 20's F, so ....... cool weather by Canadian standards.

I use an MSR stove in cold weather along with good sleeping gear, FUN times!

Contributor II

Manitoba
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Laidlaw
Well, here in Arizona we certainly don't get "Canada" cold. I am a Canuc by the way (from Ontario) living in the USA as a permanent resident.

With that said, it does drop to zero and slightly below at higher elevations in AZ in the winter. The deserts can get down into the 20's F, so ....... cool weather by Canadian standards.

Sounds like you got the experience for the comparison. I am trying to decide what I need for the "outdoor living space" component to deal with the potentially super nasty weather .... Awning? Easy-up style shelter with side walls ....

Thanks for your input! Now, if only spring would start coming here....

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Sounds like you got the experience for the comparison. I am trying to decide what I need for the "outdoor living space" component to deal with the potentially super nasty weather .... Awning? Easy-up style shelter with side walls ....

Thanks for your input! Now, if only spring would start coming here....
Yeah, winter camping in Canada would certainly require a different mindset. Obviously, survival of the low temps would be of the utmost priority.

Communications and proper extraction gear for the truck would be a very close 2nd, as being snowed/iced in during the night could/has been problematic/deadly to many.

An Arctic Expedition Tent built to handle wind and snow loads would be a must have IMHO. To say the least, much different than staggering out of the desert in 115F temps with a jug of water (hopefully) in hand. :grinning:

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

What is MSR stove. I just recently learned that my propane heat stove (mr. Buddy) will not work in altitudes higher than 7000', regardless of temperature. So there are many things we learn here on the forums guys, keep it up.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
What is MSR stove. I just recently learned that my propane heat stove (mr. Buddy) will not work in altitudes higher than 7000', regardless of temperature. So there are many things we learn here on the forums guys, keep it up.
MSR is a brand name... I have the MSR Windburner with 2.0l pot and coffee press. They make dual fuel stoves as well...

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Hey all, I'm just getting started on my quest to attain the items necessary to explore the wilderness and feel comfortably prepared. Based on what the experts say, packing light is pretty essential, as it provides for longer range, saves you money, doesn't disrupt your center of gravity, and so on.

Being a bit of a minimalist outside of overlanding, I thought that it would be interesting to see how I could carry this over to my newfound passion. I see that packing very light is possible, as evidenced by backpackers and motorcyclists. Is anyone, or does anyone know of any experienced overlanders who pack light (I know this also depends on where you're going and for how long). If you do, can you share some tips and tricks to keeping the items and weight down?
Lightweight gear that is durable is spendy. Use what you have, borrow what you don't have. Figure out what works for you and buy accordingly. It's all about getting out there and seeing what works and what doesn't. Each trip out you will be learning. It will get easier as you go, but you must get out and put everything through its paces. You become more efficient with what you pack and how you pack it. But don't be afraid to splurge a little since your rig can carry the extra weight. Weight does add up, but your rig won't notice the difference between a standard sleeping bag and a ultralight bag. The perks of backpacking gear aside from weight is packability. Space is still limited and items that pack down small are able to fit into smaller spaces and pack efficiently. I had backpacking gear lying around to begin with and started using that so I could figure out what worked and what didn't. While I did add more weight for some creature comforts and items that are needed IMHO, I still try to be minimalistic with my gear and packing. Especially after a 10 day trip to Expo West/Grand Canyon last year with 3 other passengers and 2 dogs. I revamped my setup a little and started looking for options to minimize all the gear we bring to save on space since it added up quick with all of the extra people.

Hope this helps!

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Yeah, high elevations and cold temps can/will hamper a regular propane stove.

I use the MSR WhisperLite Universal as it will burn liquid propane (inverted cylinder) very nicely when conditions dictate.

It will also burn White Gas, Kerosene, Diesel Fuel when you find out that you are just a mere mortal. :grinning: It comes with all the orifices needed for the different fuels and they are easily changed out.

I still use my regular Coleman stove until I can't .............. then, this stove always bails me out!

WhisperLite™ Universal | Liquid Fuel Stoves | MSR

IMG_0710.jpg

Last edited:

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

I've been kicking around the idea of setting up the kit for some motorcycle camping / touring. I have some of what I need.. 1 man tent, super small Klymit sleeping pad.
If I do it, I'm sure I'll be posting on OB about it.

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
What is the roof made of in your trailer?
Translucent semi trailer roofing. Comes in a 10' wide x 55' long roll, Sold by the foot. Any major truck/trailer/tractor supply wholesaler should have it. Probably $25/ft. I needed 5'.
View attachment 140911
[/QUOTE]

Thats just... awesome

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I just recently learned that my propane heat stove (mr. Buddy) will not work in altitudes higher than 7000', regardless of temperature.
White Gas is the best fuel for high elevations and winter. Works well in summer at sea level too.
White gas is the stuff for Everest expeditions.

4009-671_NOC02_view1_1000x1000_grande.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Overland Commander

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

What is MSR stove.
Just a Brand Name. Google White Gas Stove.
I still have my Dads 1940s Coleman stove, it runs way better on white gas than gasoline since white gas does not have any additives.

DSCN2249.jpg

This is not light weight but after 80 years of service, it certainly defines minimalism.
White gas is maybe the cheapest, easiest to handle fuel, plus it always works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Overland Commander

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Does anyone do extreme cold/winter overlanding with outdoor kitchen? How well do you find that works with minimalistic gear? I can't even really say I have seen that many reports of people doing that even with super duty setups and high-tech gear. As a Canadian, Winter is a fact of life that is unavoidable... And I often see that most people tend to overland in warmer climates, such as California, Arizona etc. where more minimal gear could probably go a longer way. Here, in winter, a SOL bivvy and a blanket is not going to cut it wen it is -40 C outside at night.
Winter camping is all about reliable systems in extreme temperatures. The easy way is to eliminate systems. No central plumbing, Most RVs will freeze up at -5C never mind -20C. I know there are guys incredibly invested for winter camping but for me, winter camping is about mountaineering gear and clothing with all the freezables kept in the truck, I do some -10C camping in BC with my teardrop since I love the bed and I will cook off the outside kitchen but there is no water or heat in the trailer.

We used to go ski touring 30 years ago camping on a glacier for 3 nights so I focus on that kind of gear and packing, treating the truck and trailer like the mountaineering huts we slept in.

Below Bow Hut.jpeg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

In my 20s, 30s, I lived for mountaineering in this country. Glacier skiing in the summer and trekking between huts in the winter.
This map shows the best ski touring country in Canada along the AB/BC border and the continental divide.

Applying those gear, packing lists to overlanding makes anything possible.
Not neccessarily ultra light, just minimalistic.

waptaguidemap.jpg

I definitely miss moments like this

Sandra Nicholas Peak.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Louiston

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

For me, it depends on the adventure I am setting out on. If it is just a quick solo jaunt, I might just throw my backpacking gear in the Jeep with the addition of a chair. A hammock and quilts make for a comfy sleep. Most of the time though, I like to throw in more comfort items such as a better kitchen and a table. Also, items to support my hobbies like photography. A trip that is more wheeling oriented may mean fewer comfort items and more tools and spare parts.

I notice some consider a cooler to be more minimalist than a fridge. I agree in most senses it is. It is definitely a more simple approach, but the fridge has actually saved me room. Since Ice doesn't take up room, I can put all my food and drinks in the fridge instead of having to rotate items in. OK, maybe I am just justifying my favorite accessory :tonguewink: Although I used to take two ice chests on longer trips.