How Minimalist Can You Get?

• HTML tutorial

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Hey all, I'm just getting started on my quest to attain the items necessary to explore the wilderness and feel comfortably prepared. Based on what the experts say, packing light is pretty essential, as it provides for longer range, saves you money, doesn't disrupt your center of gravity, and so on.

Being a bit of a minimalist outside of overlanding, I thought that it would be interesting to see how I could carry this over to my newfound passion. I see that packing very light is possible, as evidenced by backpackers and motorcyclists. Is anyone, or does anyone know of any experienced overlanders who pack light (I know this also depends on where you're going and for how long). If you do, can you share some tips and tricks to keeping the items and weight down?

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Best advice is to take notes and pay attention to what is actually needed and used and after each trip take stock and pair down or change. My wife and I camp just the two of us 99% of the time. one day we realized we had 4 of every utensil. While it's nice being prepared, a person can start to drag along useless stuff if they don't pay attention.

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I don't know if it will save you money. Alot of the light weight backpacking gear is very very expensive.
You make a good point. I guess one would need to weigh the cost/benefit of shelling out more to save on weight. I also understand that one would also have to take into account the convenience factor or bringing along a full-size stove vs. a backpacking one. But more of what I'm trying to get around to is whether an item is absolutely necessary or not, not so much how much it weighs. I don't want to ask for a right or wrong answer, as everyone puts different value on different things. I just wanted to get an idea of what works for the people who feel like they pack relatively light and have it dialed in.

Last edited:

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Best advice is to take notes and pay attention to what is actually needed and used and after each trip take stock and pair down or change. My wife and I camp just the two of us 99% of the time. one day we realized we had 4 of every utensil. While it's nice being prepared, a person can start to drag along useless stuff if they don't pay attention.
This is a very good point. I also recently realized that I had stuff for four people (chairs, silverware, plates, etc.) and most of the time it's just 1 or 2. It saved me a bunch of space. I actually slept in my rig during OTG 2.0 because I had lots of room, saving on having to put up a tent, which was pretty neat.

Judge

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Woodland Hills, CA
Member #

I don't know if it will save you money. Alot of the light weight backpacking gear is very very expensive.
I'm not so sure about this...you can get a tent that will withstand the worst weather possible on Everest for half of what most good RTTs cost, and weigh next to nothing in comparison. And I've always found the top quality gear is built to last, so if you amortize it over its useful life it's easily justified.

But I'm a gear snob and justify everything.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
@pickle juice I ended up being the opposite of what you're shooting for. How did this happen?
1. I wasn't trying to keep weight down specifically
2. I'm Mr. Double Redundant. It's kind of a game for me. To use an over-cooked cliche, 2 is 1 and 1 is none, how can I be totally independent and still jam it all into one car?
And here I am!
Aim for lightweight, think about it everytime you think you "need" something and you will likely get there.
Good luck. And if you need an example of how not to add lightness, call me.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

@pickle juice I ended up being the opposite of what you're shooting for. How did this happen?
2. I'm Mr. Double Redundant. It's kind of a game for me. To use an over-cooked cliche, 2 is 1 and 1 is none, how can I be totally independent and still jam it all into one car?
And here I am!
Aim for lightweight, think about it everytime you think you "need" something and you will likely get there.
This is hilarious!

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

And here I am!
This is great! I thought I saw someone towing a rig behind another one the other day!

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

I tend to over pack. Especially when going to be gone for a week or more. But what takes up alot of space for us dog gear and gun stuff. Working on trimming down our stuff. Makes it easier to take off short notice

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

There is a bit of a different thought process when we are packing for a long range motorcycle trip as compared to an overland type journey. The main difference (IMO) is that when we have headed out on long bike rides (multiple weeks, 5000km type road trips) we aren't planning on having to be totally self sustained repair, fuel or recovery wise.

When we first started touring on motorcycles I received a very good piece of advice. It can partially translate into advice for overlanding as well I think.
Take all the clothes you plan on taking with you on your trip, lay them out on your bed......and put half away.

Again, when we were touring on our bikes, this advice played better into the whole scheme of things. We were generally never more than a day away from somewhere to purchase replacement undies or socks, or whatever. Overlanding is a little different in the goal (to me anyways) is to escape civilization ans all the quick comforts associated with it. I do still find that we tend to overpack clothing items for overland or adventure or camping type trips, and have tried to be more conscious about the clothing that I pack.

I have also spent some time keeping tabs on the cooking and camp gear items that we use when overlanding, and over the past year have seriously minimized items and removed back up items that I have found I never needed. You can use a mental red-dot sticker (or real red-dot sticker if you wish) plan, and everytime you head out put a red-dot sticker on the items that you use. Every few months, take an inventory of the items and see what is getting used and what could possibly be removed from your kit.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
2) Limit luxuries; e.g. I carry a small drip coffee filter instead of a percolator or french press. I'm still trying to figure out how to fit my guitar in my Jeep JKU with all the other gear.
One of the things I pack that I probably shouldn't is my Coleman Mr Coffee style coffee pot. It is huge, has a breakable glass carafe and takes for ever to make a pot of coffee. If I didn't have this, I could pack all my kitchen gear into a much smaller box. I should think about getting a kettle and using one of my single coffee filters. I do like having an entire pot at the ready though.

Chad

Reactions: picklejuice

MTN4RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

A lightweight inventory will be completely dependent on the individual and their style of traveling. Some people will need a new shirt for each day, others will shave weight to bring an extra few beers. The biggest killer for efficiency for the overland vehicle (in my opinion), first is aerodynamics and second is weight. Not including things like a roof top tent, or a large roof rack will help keep your overall efficiency higher if you are spending a lot of time on the highway. Weight comes into greater concern once you are off-road, and once you add a lot more weight (bumpers, armor, etc). Small things like an extra chair, a larger tent, and so-on will really not effect anything other than taking up space. If keeping your used space in the vehicle to a minimum if key, start with what you think you need, and add/subtract from there, being honest with your needs. I have always been an over packer, but in the last year or so I have really begun to look at what I bring along versus what I need.

Long story short (and I apologize if that was more of an opinion dump than concise advice), start with what you think you need, and adapt from there. Everyone has different needs and they'll have different lists of what's important versus not. But I would start by identifying items that you can control (clothes, luxury items, etc.) versus things you cannot (recovery gear, water, food, etc.). This will give you an idea of what to monitor on your trips. After time and milage, you'll dial in YOUR minimal setup.

Best of luck!

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
One of the things I pack that I probably shouldn't is my Coleman Mr Coffee style coffee pot. It is huge, has a breakable glass carafe and takes for ever to make a pot of coffee. If I didn't have this, I could pack all my kitchen gear into a much smaller box. I should think about getting a kettle and using one of my single coffee filters. I do like having an entire pot at the ready though.

Chad
For backpacking and overlanding my wife and I have gone even lower maintenance: Starbucks Via. It's decent coffee and way better than any other instants I've ever tried. If anyone knows of a better/cheaper instant coffee I'd love to hear about it.

Reactions: Bama_Kiwi

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
My advice to anyone wanting to pursue outdoor adventure is to lose weight and become fat-adapted.

A smaller you = smaller clothes = lighter clothes.
A fat-adapted you means you can be comfortable, and thrive, on 2 meals per day. Which means having to bring less food, which means you can make more efficient use of your fridge or other food storage.
Being fat-adapted lets you better deal with unforeseen problems such as getting lost or vehicle extraction while keeping a clear head and not becoming hangry.

Disclaimer: I'm a health coach specializing in helping people improve their lives and their bodies for better outdoor adventure.

Cheers!

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I think that we tend to pack to the space we have available. I am coming from Motorcycle Overlanding. I was riding a 500cc Honda CB500X and I was limited to about 40lbs of gear. I even found that with that, I would still over pack and bring things I didn't need.
Back packing gear is the way to go. I still have all of it and I can fit everything into a large duffel bag.
For cooking I have a Sea to Summit X-Pot system, very small and folds up flat.
A MSR style pocket rocket stove and fuel can.
I have a Mountainsmith Morrison 3 man tent, Nemo Stratoloft bag and a Neoair Xtherm pad.
A Helinox camp chair.
Add to this a bunch of odds and ends like flashlights, small first aid kit, inflatable pillow, a small camp towel, etc. and you can camp very comfortably with a minimum amount of gear and weight.
I have traveled all over the west with this set-up. My buddy and I do this every year and we have done it on everything from the Honda's, to KLR650's, to Goldwing's.
I am amazed at all the big heavy stuff Overlanders think they "Need" to get out there and have fun. It is a lot less than you think.
If you can sleep inside your vehicle you can get away without the tent and save that weight.
It is a mindset that you have to develop, but once you start seeing what you really need, you find out how little it really is. Then you can focus on the adventure and not having to add super heavy springs to your truck/suv to handle all the extra junk.

If you want to see what you can get away with, look up on YouTube Motorcycle camping packing video's. Even many of those take more than they really need.
I just got a Subaru Forester and I am looking at how I can make it a daily driver and have camping gear in it all the time so I can be ready to go any time I get the chance. This means small and light.
Do you really NEED the Skottle and the 60+ liter ARB Fridge? Can you cook on a 1 burner and leave the big 3 burner home? Cast Iron is nice, but are you going to have to upgrade your springs to carry it?

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

We are the sum of our life experiences, so your perspective on what you need and want to pack is heavily influenced on how you have lived. But we can adapt and learn, so this is a great discussion. My past included moving constantly as a kid, dorm living in college, and living in a spare room and sleeping on a hide a bed while I routinely travelled the world for weeks at a time living out of a garment bag, tool case, and computer bag. For years I hiked with my old high school buddies, and hot weather camping once had a pack out weight of 14 pounds dry, including handgun and fishing gear. Then I became partially disabled, caged in a cubicle, much more sedentary, and over time overwhelmed with possessions. When I started vehicle based hunting, fishing, exploring, or camping, oh the joy of being lazy and throwing everything in I might need. When the first long "overloading" trip came up for planning, I knew I'd have to return to my roots and pack light as the thought of wallowing the full size Tahoe through Death Valley wilderness got me thinking again. And then downsizing to a WJ ramped up the need to lighten up much further. By myself I can get away with recovery gear, water, fuel, tools, a few clothes, small tent and backpacking sleeping gear, a log of salami, block of cheese, and 12 pack of coke. A good oversized folding chair then becomes my luxury item. I can thank my past for conditioning me. But my female companion, on the other hand, is used to packing until every nook and granny is filled so the kids have no excuse to get cranky. So it has been an interesting experience in educating and compromise as we learn to travel together. Luckily I have access to a scale at work, and was able to demonstrate how quickly gross vehicle weight is exceeded with a full kitchen, big fridge, chest full of food we won't eat, pop up canopy, huge tent, you get the idea. My advice is if you are struggling to figure out your kit, weigh your vehicle with essentials in it (recovery and safety gear) add occupant weight, and figure out what your weight budget is before exceeding your vehicle spec. Then pack to not exceed the budget. The more remote you plan, the more of the budget goes to fuel, water, tools, parts, communications, etc. And the more you will need a minimalist backpacking mindset. Share gear with your group, you don't need 5 hi-lift jacks, but 2 would be prudent. 2 pair of Railrider adventure pants can last 2 weeks with river washing and sun dry, rather than several pairs of heavy cotton jeans. And so on...... think about it between trips and then learn on each trip, its all part of the adventure. Nobody nails it on the first try..or second or third....

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
I get the idea of less is more and from backpacking days I could make do with a small single burner backpacking stove.

But with vehicle travel, off roading I want to be prepared for those emergencies that would really mess up my trip were I to break down, get stuck etc. 100 miles from anywhere. So that means tools to cover almost anything vehicle related, plus the likely parts- belts, hoses, etc.). Recovery gear will include a high lift, heavy plank, come along. snatch straps, shovel.

When we're in camp I want it to be enjoyable (and that's true whether it's me and the family camping or me and my buddies on a fishing trip) no matter the weather so that means tarps, plenty of food, water, drinks, lantern, stove, dishes, pots, pans etc. Whether it's two people or 8, we try to eat together at the same time so have cookware to cover that as opposed to everyone cooking their own meal on a small backpacking stove.

I dont try to be a minimalist as (at least for me) the comforts that can be brought make a big difference in the enjoyment of the trip. I've spent trips with less and for me it doesn't make sense to have to sit by a campfire in pouring rain, or not have some piece of gear that keeps the wife/kids happy when getting out there. I realize this differs from the OP's minimalist approach, I just dont shoot for that and also dont try to. Just my way of doing it. :)

Reactions: Matt Hixson