JimmyTheT

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Denver
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Trout
My wife and I are considering an off-road teardrop camper. We exclusively disbursed camp and I'm looking at campers primarily to make camping more convenient. We enjoy tent camping but loading up our gear every time, setting up the site, tearing the site down, and putting the gear away back at home, is a lot of work. My goal is to limit the setup needed at the site; it seems like most of this is related to cooking.

Some of the campers (Hiker for example) have a "galley" that offers nice storage but not really a cooking area. We'd still have to set up tables, set up the stove, etc. Others, like Vintage Trailer Works, have a nice cooking area with a sink. Lift up the rear door and you're ready to cook.

Although it requires giving up some storage, I think it would be really nice to have a sink. This will really make rinsing dishes, washing hands, etc, much easier than our current setup. And having a surface to keep the stove on vs setting up a table, pulling the stove out of storage, and setting it up, would be much more convenient.

But I'd love some advice from those of you with more experience. Are a sink and a more established galley worth the decreased storage space? If we're on a road trip it sure seems like it would be nice to pull over, open the back galley door, and make lunch without having to set anything up.

Reactions: Lesley_0125

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I think you have answered you own question for the most part. I have a full size trailer (Black Series HQ19) and I use the outdoor kitchen more than inside. Tbis would be similar to the galley, but having a galley setup to cook, wash hands, likely a small fridge or pullout that jas everything centralized and easy makes a world of difference. also think of the "loss of storage" as not having to pack the extra tables, cooktop, or other misc items that you now have dedicated in the galley. It may take up valuable storage space but acts as its own.

You also hit the main part which is convience. Pop the gally open and your food is ready to be cooked, close it up and you are ready to go. If you are looking to make it easier and save valueable time loading, unloading and setting up a full galley seems like the route to go.

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I think you have answered you own question for the most part. I have a full size trailer (Black Series HQ19) and I use the outdoor kitchen more than inside. Tbis would be similar to the galley, but having a galley setup to cook, wash hands, likely a small fridge or pullout that jas everything centralized and easy makes a world of difference. also think of the "loss of storage" as not having to pack the extra tables, cooktop, or other misc items that you now have dedicated in the galley. It may take up valuable storage space but acts as its own.

You also hit the main part which is convience. Pop the gally open and your food is ready to be cooked, close it up and you are ready to go. If you are looking to make it easier and save valueable time loading, unloading and setting up a full galley seems like the route to go.
I agree with the above. Having the sink is a game changer. Also, a place to prep and cook under and awning or other types of cover make the outdoor kitchen and galley worth every bit of lost space.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I agree! Mine isn’t really an off-road trailer (T@g Boondock), but I love the ready to go galley. I have a sink, a cooktop with 2 propane burners, slide out fridge, counter space and 2 small cabinets. I keep a smaller cooler in the truck exclusively for cold drinks and a medium sized storage box with dry goods. I rarely bring a small folding table - only when there will be multiple people present. All of my cooking/kitchen items fit together like a puzzle in the cabinets.

Lesley_0125

Rank III

Traveler III

Zebulon, Johnston County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Lesley
Last Name
Miller
Member #

My wife and I are considering an off-road teardrop camper. We exclusively disbursed camp and I'm looking at campers primarily to make camping more convenient. We enjoy tent camping but loading up our gear every time, setting up the site, tearing the site down, and putting the gear away back at home, is a lot of work. My goal is to limit the setup needed at the site; it seems like most of this is related to cooking.

Some of the campers (Hiker for example) have a "galley" that offers nice storage but not really a cooking area. We'd still have to set up tables, set up the stove, etc. Others, like Vintage Trailer Works, have a nice cooking area with a sink. Lift up the rear door and you're ready to cook.

Although it requires giving up some storage, I think it would be really nice to have a sink. This will really make rinsing dishes, washing hands, etc, much easier than our current setup. And having a surface to keep the stove on vs setting up a table, pulling the stove out of storage, and setting it up, would be much more convenient.

But I'd love some advice from those of you with more experience. Are a sink and a more established galley worth the decreased storage space? If we're on a road trip it sure seems like it would be nice to pull over, open the back galley door, and make lunch without having to set anything up.
My gf and I are in the same situation. I would love to see others responses here as well. Especially now with prices, this is a huge investment for us for sure. And living in NC, we won’t get a chance to see a lot of the trailer companies in person, I have noticed several I’m interested in are not listed as vendors for the expo coming up.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I built my teardrop in 2008, without a sink. I’ve thought about adding one several times, but don’t want to lose the counter space. My style of camping is such that a sink isn’t really a huge priority. I use a collapsible bowl if I need a sink.

D4B7C1FF-29DD-437D-A646-A094155A2445.jpeg

Reactions: grubworm

JimmyTheT

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Denver
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Trout
... also think of the "loss of storage" as not having to pack the extra tables, cooktop, or other misc items that you now have dedicated in the galley. It may take up valuable storage space but acts as its own.
Great point.