How has the Covid-19 virus affected your adventures?

• HTML tutorial

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

No, not at all, being a registered independent I think and vote the same as I’m registered.. I’m simply asking questions that may or may not, someday be answered. Personal opinion? I think that the board of directors of Fox News came to the conclusion that the lawsuits resulting from them continuing to lead their viewers astray, as they did in those first few weeks, would be overwhelming and enough, quite possibly to force them into bankruptcy, at the least. Hence, heavy duty back tracking, cyaing and a complete 180. Any thoughts from fellow non partisans?
I don't think the politicians in the US, on both "sides," are listening enough to the scientists and experienced experts right now. Other than that, I'm staying out of left/right political discussions on this forum as much as possible, as it's been proven too many times here it becomes a heated, flaming mess of opinions based on slanted, often blatantly false, information.

Both sides of the aisle and both sides of the US media that supports them seem to be using this crisis in ways to further their own perceived agendas. Feeding into that frenzy here is not a helpful or healthy discussion and only fuels angry position-taking and drawing of lines, far as I'm concerned.

Especially at a time we should be figuring ways to work together, not against one another or taking sides.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Last edited:

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
My plans for "social distancing" got shot to hell. Big Bend Ranch State Park is closed to all camping.

I should buy some of that cheap land up around Dell City and live in my tent for a couple of weeks.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

My plans for "social distancing" got shot to hell. Big Bend Ranch State Park is closed to all camping.

I should buy some of that cheap land up around Dell City and live in my tent for a couple of weeks.
Man, I wish I'd picked up some land out that way a couple years back and was down there now with a little outbuilding for storage, using my trailer as the base for an offgrid home, and a larger shed-roof open area for water-catchment and out-of-the-sun work area.

I'd be finest kind and happy as a clam at high-tide to be out there for weeks alone, or to invite a few folks like you to come hunker down for several weeks.

Be fun to play with basecamp and bushcraft ideas, etc. This is the perfect time of year to be out there for night sky and Milky Way too, as well as great for temps both night and day.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Reactions: TexasGMG

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I had planned on visiting Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands this summer, those plans went down the drain, but the way I see it is this gives me more time to save up and get myself (I have back problems) and my car ready for an even better trip once the Covid-19 virus is dead and gone.

I will complete my planned trips even if it takes a while longer to get them going, I also think things will get worse before they get better, but I refuse to let that get me down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

Not a bad little community. :-)

Reactions: TexasGMG

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Well shucks, My one little convenience store - gas station here in Mimbres NM closed and locked the doors Saturday. He buys his food from Walmart and some deliveries for milk, eggs, cheese and dairy goods, their is none to buy. The small restaurant cant buy enough food to operate. Since Walmart has it's own warehouse and delivery trucks 120 miles away, I cant understand why they cant get our rural area any food. They are located about half way between Las Cruces NM and Tucson Az. My community is closer than either city, yet we are not being supplied and food. I Ordered $78 worth of needed items from Walmart on Friday for pick up. They couldn't fill any of the order. Its been 2 weeks since a run on the stores and none have re supplied in that 2 weeks. I may have to drive 120 miles to get anything soon. I home SAM'S club has some groceries or I'll have to start cooking my Red bean supply. Funny thing, I gave away my six month supply of MRE's last year to my yard man and his family because I had finally decided I didn't need them anymore. So much for being Mr. Good Fellow.

KRose

Rank IV
Benefactor
Launch Member

Contributor II

La Grande, OR, USA
First Name
Kallie
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Thought for the day. I have heard it said many times that Healthcare workers are making jokes and not taking COVID 19 seriously. I would like to bring 4 facts to your attention. First, to work in Healthcare you must have a sick/dark sense of humor - sorry it’s just a requirement. And if you aren’t one of us, you don’t understand. Secondly, just because we aren’t buying 50 cases of Baked Beans and fighting over the last bottle of handrub or toilet paper at our local Walmart, it doesn’t mean we aren’t preparing. And most of us don't have the income to stockpile, Actually, we go to work daily not knowing what diseases we may come in contact with..... So, infection prevention and standard precautions are part of our everyday life. Third, when has mass hysteria helped any situation? Maybe we are trained to stay calm, cool, and collected in stressful situations. And last but not the least...while everyone is concerned about travel bans, government enforced quarantines, and being out of school/work for who knows how long, who do you think will still be allowed and required to go to work? You guessed it right..!! Healthcare workers! So.....Don't panic ...use your common sense ...be mindful of yourself and others...stay safe ... Now go wash your hands.

If you work in Healthcare, please copy and paste to your status!

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Well shucks, My one little convenience store - gas station here in Mimbres NM closed and locked the doors Saturday. He buys his food from Walmart and some deliveries for milk, eggs, cheese and dairy goods, their is none to buy. The small restaurant cant buy enough food to operate. Since Walmart has it's own warehouse and delivery trucks 120 miles away, I cant understand why they cant get our rural area any food. They are located about half way between Las Cruces NM and Tucson Az. My community is closer than either city, yet we are not being supplied and food. I Ordered $78 worth of needed items from Walmart on Friday for pick up. They couldn't fill any of the order. Its been 2 weeks since a run on the stores and none have re supplied in that 2 weeks. I may have to drive 120 miles to get anything soon. I home SAM'S club has some groceries or I'll have to start cooking my Red bean supply. Funny thing, I gave away my six month supply of MRE's last year to my yard man and his family because I had finally decided I didn't need them anymore. So much for being Mr. Good Fellow.
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you'll have enough to get through.

This hoarding thing has got me very disappointed in my fellow humans. I seriously believe, that the selfish hoarding will end up with at least 75% of the food products going to waste.

I went to Winco last Monday, I saw 3 people with shopping carts full to the top of flour sacks. Bleached flour. I HIGHLY doubt they are trying to keep their pizza business open as they didn't appear to be the business owner "type" I wonder if they can eat 400# of flour before it spoils?Processed flour doesn't even last a year shelf life. Do they know it spoils? Do they care?

Also saw another shopping cart being loaded with every last 1/2 gallon carton of milk because Winco only restricted 1 gallon jugs (3 per person) so this couple was filling their cart with cartons of milk. Why? I HIGHLY doubt they need 32 gallons of milk in cartons! Forgive me if they have a legitimate reason for needing so much milk.

It seems distributors are so overwhelmed they are prioritizing the worst hoarders by only delivering to areas with the worst problems.

Also don't understand why there is absolutely NO paper products left in my area? It's been over a week since the initial run on TP and there is still none available, anywhere. What the heck?

The only hoarding I can understand would be hand sanitizer, that makes sense. But still, buy too much of it and you "steal" it from other people, IT HAS AN EXPIRATION! The hoarders can't possibly use all they have hoarded before expiry!

We have "enough" TP due to our usual stocking habits, but nonetheless we had to "freshen up" my son's potty habits because we realized the other day he is using a TON of TP when going potty! Had to retrain him. I never realized the wastefulness until recently.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This ^^^^ pretty sad when science gets trumped.
Yes, they all suck but I wouldn't want their job. The extreme partisanship is just something I cant tolerate from them. It's okay for you and I to be partisan, but not the congress or the President. It use to be Americans were closer in thought and with only minor differences. We were all mostly patriotic and wanted the best for the country. Now it's a me thing and only me. Kinda reminds me of the people on Facebook who constantly do selfies all the time. Use to be congress put up a bill and it was either passed or defeated and that was the end. The votes were not partisan for the most part. Just differences in opinion the same as we on OB have. Still I didn't think they did a good job, only a fare job at best. They are all in it as a profession and the financial gains they will receive from sucking up to special interest, now they all stink !

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

We have "enough" TP due to our usual stocking habits, but nonetheless we had to "freshen up" my son's potty habits because we realized the other day he is using a TON of TP when going potty! Had to retrain him. I never realized the wastefulness until recently.
cat.png

• Haha
Reactions: SquishBang

KRose

Rank IV
Benefactor
Launch Member

Contributor II

La Grande, OR, USA
First Name
Kallie
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Me and my husband @M Rose are worried about you M Rose said he will send DM too you.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

This hoarding thing has got me very disappointed in my fellow humans. I seriously believe, that the selfish hoarding will end up with at least 75% of the food products going to waste.

I went to Winco last Monday, I saw 3 people with shopping carts full to the top of flour sacks. Bleached flour. I HIGHLY doubt they are trying to keep their pizza business open as they didn't appear to be the business owner "type" I wonder if they can eat 400# of flour before it spoils?Processed flour doesn't even last a year shelf life. Do they know it spoils? Do they care?

Also saw another shopping cart being loaded with every last 1/2 gallon carton of milk because Winco only restricted 1 gallon jugs (3 per person) so this couple was filling their cart with cartons of milk. Why? I HIGHLY doubt they need 32 gallons of milk in cartons! Forgive me if they have a legitimate reason for needing so much milk.

It seems distributors are so overwhelmed they are prioritizing the worst hoarders by only delivering to areas with the worst problems.

Also don't understand why there is absolutely NO paper products left in my area? It's been over a week since the initial run on TP and there is still none available, anywhere. What the heck?

The only hoarding I can understand would be hand sanitizer, that makes sense. But still, buy too much of it and you "steal" it from other people, IT HAS AN EXPIRATION! The hoarders can't possibly use all they have hoarded before expiry!

This is certainly bringing out the worst in people as well as the best. There is nothing wrong with having a good supply of anything but you dont wait until there is a crisis to do it.

I know some folks have a reason to really stock up. Around my county there are ranchers with 15-20 cowboys living on the ranch and a part of their salary is room and board. Normally they come to town and shop every two weeks or so to pick up the supplies. This time the media scared the hell out of them and they all came in to town on Saturday two weeks ago and double or tripled their purchases all at once. I'm talking about at least 100 big ranches.

For a small town of 10,000 (20K in the county) and only 4 grocery stores i(two big, two small) it was like a hurricane. The county is full (75%) below poverty level people on Food stamps mostly. The Ranchers hit a week before food stamp renewals for the month. (not deliberately, just coincidental) There was no food left for them on the shelves (still isn't) and their food stamps wont buy any paper goods, soaps and disinfectants, so it wasn't them that bought out all the TP. The ranchers trucks were full and tarped down. It looked like they were buying just to be buying no matter what it was on the shelf.

Some things are too complex for humans to solve IMO. We are inherently stupid. You only learn from experience at best. We are all born as idiots and some people just never grow up and out of the stupid stage. How can a millionaire understand hunger and poverty if he has never experienced hunger and poverty. Our country is being run by (whatever you chose to call them) the incompetent.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: M Rose and KRose

Cooper113

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Roaming
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Drake
I’m doing this full time, so I have no home to go back to to shelter in place. Currently dispersed camping outside the Grand Canyon. Plan to stay here for 2 weeks. The weather forecast is better here over the next week than anywhere else I have been. Hopefully that continues. Store in town has more stock than any Walmart I have been to in the last 3 weeks. You will pay a bit more for it though.
While out on forest service roads today came across a couple in one of those rental camping vans. They had gotten stuck because of recent snow melt and weren’t having any luck getting out. Not sure where they were from. They could only speak limited english. I pulled them out and sent them on their way. Felt good to be able to help.

Reactions: Relic6.3

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The reason your not seeing things get resupplied at the store is likely that the trucks arent coming.