How has the Covid-19 virus affected your adventures?

• HTML tutorial

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ

I have all kinds of time to spare for this sort of thing. I'm an incurable infohound at heart.

Other than her lame attempt at humor with "You really really should not listen to any old person about Covid-19“ at the start (I'll bet anything she read somewhere to "Start your public speaking engagement with a joke to warm up the audience"), what she had to say was thought-provoking, I agree.

I owe you a beer or coffee or two for bringing it to my attention.

I'm not sure if you posted her TedTalk to make a point and justify a position, or because you thought I'd appreciate the information.

She pretty much affirms and agrees with, repeatedly, points I've been making in various forums and groups. It's all info I've been absorbing and sharing for weeks.

That we "we can get better at quarantines and travel restrictions and we should." With a new virus like this one, slowing things down and flattening the curve of initial infections by staying put for now and not contributing to the spread will create less of a sudden spike and burden on health systems, allow supply chains to keep up better and build our reserves of critical items, and allow not only our country but others to build better ways to deal with future outbreaks of this, and other, viruses.

That's how we help build a good global health system that will make outbreaks less serious, that Alanna Shaikh considers "our best option." This outbreak is destined to go down as one of the most serious in human history, and it behooves us all to do what we can now to lessen the initial impact so all systems can handle it better. Then the next outbreak of Covid-19 won't be as serious in impact or numbers, just as with influenza strains with appropriate vaccines, because we will know better what to do, will be better equipped in procedure and product, and more societally able to cope.

Right now, in the US, we sucked at being able to act appropriately and in time when this virus was noticed on the horizon. Flattening the curve of infection now by staying put for the time being and not potentially spreading it will help us all be able to better deal with it in future.

Do you know that the same day Kobe Bryant's death in the chopper crash made headlines, Jan 27 (feels like ancient history now), so did the search for a vaccine for this coronavirus? Most of America did not pay much attention to that article, though it was right next to the photo of Bryant. Though not quite eight weeks ago, less than 2,000 people in China and 5 in the US were confirmed sick. It was the first time I became aware of Dr Anthony Fauci, Director of the US's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

He indicated then it would take at least three months--with no bureaucratic or regulatory holdups--to get to phase one of just testing the vaccine, not actually putting it into place. Having an actual usable vaccine has since been estimated at 18 months by him and others. The article also says "even if the vaccine is tested rapidly, it might not come in time to slow the outbreak. Public health effects to limit the spread of the virus and treat those who are infected well have a more immediate benefit."

We can do that--limit the initial spread and impact of the virus-- by not going out adventuring for a while. Believe me, I want to as badly as anyone and have my van and trailer ready to go and be gone for months. I believe the more prudent thing for us all to do is help the health system and supporting infrastructure by staying put for now.

View attachment 145544

As for Allana Shaikh's old person joke at the beginning of her talk, like the Ford quote you added to the Words of Wisdom thread says: "The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability." Building a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability most often comes with age.

Building a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability in regards to Covid-19 will only come with time, too, and only if we do not overwhelm the system so badly now that it makes it difficult to recover.

Thanks for bringing the TedTalk to my attention. Good info. Hope to meet you out here somewhere someday around a fire for that beer or coffee.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

I agree that is public speaking 101. I recently posted in a different thread; what I thought would be a funny, but it bombed badly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My main reason for posting the video:
  • 1:28 min “If we are ranking sources of health experts on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 is some random person ranting on Facebook (or OB :grinning:) and 10 is the World Health Organization!” She claims to about 7 or 8.
  • I had hoped you would appreciate this, and I do believe anybody that takes the time to watch will benefit from this information.
7:46 min “We can get better at travel restrictions and quarantine, and we should. But they are not the only option or the best option for dealing with these situations.”
She does state that we need a better world health system as does Larry Brilliant:
(Major take away “Early detection early response.” 15:40 min the only way to deal with a pandemic.) and Bill gates:
(he was spot on with his assessment), but this all needed to be done before SHTF!

It’s not just the US that did not prepare, this is an issue all over the world, hopefully, some good will come from it and people will light a fire under their representative's butts to support the recommendations of the speakers in the videos and not what appears to always be knee jerk reactions.

• 5:59 “we can’t stop the outbreaks with quarantine and travel restrictions!” its physically impossible to get that in place fast enough to stop the outbreak.”

I have read that we are looking at 18 months or more for a vaccine, I do not remember who the expert was that said it. It is now being repeated all over.

I am now going to try to make my point now:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

I pulled these words for word from the various scenario the paper has.

• In the case of COVID-19, it will be at least a 12-18 months before a vaccine is available (References #3). Furthermore, there is no guarantee that initial vaccines will have high efficacy.
  • Since the aim of mitigation is to minimise mortality, the interventions need to remain in place for as much of the epidemic period as possible. Introducing such interventions too early risks allowing transmission to return once they are lifted (if insufficient herd immunity has developed); pg 7
  • Conditional on that duration, the most effective combination of interventions is predicted to be a combination of case isolation, home quarantine and social distancing of those most at risk (the over 70s). pg 8
  • Stopping mass gatherings is predicted to have relatively little impact (results not shown) because the contact-time at such events is relatively small compared to the time spent at home, in schools or workplaces and in other community locations such as bars and restaurants. Pg. 8
  • A combination of case isolation, social distancing of the entire population and either household quarantine or school and university closure are required (Figure 3, Table 4). Measures are assumed to be in place for a 5-month duration. Pg. 10
  • Not accounting for the potential adverse effect on ICU capacity due to absenteeism, school and university closure is predicted to be more effective in achieving suppression than household quarantine. Pg. 10
  • The more successful a strategy is at temporary suppression, the larger the later epidemic is predicted to be in the absence of vaccination, due to lesser build-up of herd immunity. Pg. 11
  • A minimum policy for effective suppression is therefore population-wide social distancing combined with home isolation of cases and school and university closure.
  • To avoid a rebound in transmission, these policies will need to be maintained until large stocks of vaccine are available to immunise the population – which could be 18 months or more Pg. 14-15
  • Long-term suppression may not be a feasible policy option in many countries. Our results show that the alternative relatively short-term (3-month) mitigation policy option might reduce deaths seen in the epidemic by up to half, and peak healthcare demand by two-thirds. The combination of case isolation, household quarantine and social distancing of those at higher risk of severe outcomes (older individuals and those with other underlying health conditions) are the most effective policy combination for epidemic mitigation. Pg. 15
Are we doing more harm than good by having everyone quarantine inside of there house and not having any social interaction? I believe the answer is yes and when the 15 days to slow the spread (https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/03.16.20_coronavirus-guidance_8.5x11_315PM.pdf) is lifted the virus is going to roar back with a vengeance, all we have done is delay the inevitable. 6:33 min “A period where you are infected and show no symptoms for as long as 24 days.”
I hope I am wrong.

knowledge, experience, and ability, due come with age and a lot of time studying at the school of hard knocks; if you did not let prejudice and fear corrupt you on your journey. Which I am pondering is her reasoning for her attempt at humor with the old person joke.

If you are still serious about meeting on the trail someday “Iced tea and cornbread took the place of Pills and 90 proof” for me many years ago, Coffee sounds great. If things are better by August do you have any plans to go to the Overland Expo Mountain West?

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
They just closed all campgrounds in WA State, what a bunch of toolbags!

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501
Home | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

March 22, 2020

Contacts:

State Parks: Anna Gill, Communications Director (360) 902-8562
WDFW: Rachel Blomker, Communications Manager (360) 701-3101
DNR: Paige DeChambeau, Recreation Communications Manager (360) 790-1886

Washington campgrounds to close through April 30
Day use areas and trails remain open

OLYMPIA – Today, the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission (Parks), Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), and the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) announced the closure of all state campgrounds across Washington to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Campgrounds will remain closed through April 30.

The closure includes roofed accommodations like cabins and yurts.

No new campers will be allowed into Parks, WDFW, or DNR lands beginning Monday, March 23. Current campers will be phased out following instructions from land officials.

Day use areas and trails remain open. Due to the volume of people visiting Washington's ocean beaches, we are asking the public to avoid those areas. People should continue to practice social distancing when recreating outdoors.

State Parks
Campers who have state parks reservations through April 30 will be notified and offered a full refund. Visitors can find the latest information about State Park operations at parks.state.wa.us/COVID19.

Department of Fish and Wildlife
Although camping is not allowed, WDFW wildlife areas and water access areas remain open for public use at this time. However, due to theft and increased usage of their restrooms, visitors should plan to bring their own hand sanitizer and toilet paper. For the latest information about WDFW operations, visit wdfw.wa.gov/about/covid-19-updates .

Department of Natural Resources
DNR's camping will be closed to dedicated camping areas and dispersed camping or camping outside of designated camp sites. For the most up-to-date information for DNR lands, visit dnr.wa.gov/recreation.

I WANT MY G-D..N TAX MONEY BACK!
Consider this my friends.

www.globalresearch.ca/lock-step-no-futuristic-scenario/5705972

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Declaring a State of Emergency changes everything. The option of thinking you can travel at all is rapidly disappearing.
But what is driving that state of emergency are all the idiots still gathering together in urban settings.
The emerging rules leave zero room for interpretation.
Park and stay home, period is becoming the rule.

Alain M

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Saint-Hyacinthe, QC, Canada
First Name
Alain
Last Name
Messier
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HUA
This situation is serious, and can get worse. I planned to go camping / overlanding the Sierras and If cancelling help reducing the risks of contamination for myself and others, so be it.
Another thing to consider if you decide to travel is that many business, including gas stations, are closing temporary to reduce costs due to the fact that in some places it is not even worthy to keep them open for now. Few gas stations are closing temporary in my area starting Monday and that may be a new problem to deal with. You may be stuck in a little town with very limited resources.

It may take time to readjust to this new reality. Things will get better, or maybe not, only time will tell.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This situation is serious, and can get worse. I planned to go camping / overlanding the Sierras and If cancelling help reducing the risks of contamination for myself and others, so be it.
Another thing to consider if you decide to travel is that many business, including gas stations, are closing temporary to reduce costs due to the fact that in some places it is not even worthy to keep them open for now. Few gas stations are closing temporary in my area starting Monday and that may be a new problem to deal with. You may be stuck in a little town with very limited resources.

It may take time to readjust to this new reality. Things will get better, or maybe not, only time will tell.
Millions could die from this. It may be exactly what the powers that be want. I hope I'm wrong but I believe this a deliberate move to reduce the population of earth as so many have called for in the past 20-30 years if you've kept up with that sort of thing as I have.. Anything that your mind can conceive is possible. Might be a good time to review Revelations. IMO

Alain M

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Saint-Hyacinthe, QC, Canada
First Name
Alain
Last Name
Messier
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HUA
Millions could die from this. It may be exactly what the powers that be want. I hope I'm wrong but I believe this a deliberate move to reduce the population of earth as so many have called for in the past 20-30 years if you've kept up with that sort of thing as I have.. Anything that your mind can conceive is possible. Might be a good time to review Revelations. IMO
Landlubber, these situations have been recorded through history and this is not a novelty. As an example; the Spaniards brought the flu to South America with disastrous consequences, then the Spaniards got infected by the Native American STD when they explored the North and we know how it goes...Look at the 2016 Anthrax outbreak in Siberia, we would have never known about it unless someone traveled there to report about it. The difference between now and then is that most pandemic died off locally or were not travelling far and fast enough to affect the global population. Nowadays, by the time we figure out that we have a pandemic on hands it is already too late, millions of people and goods have circled around the planet. Add an economic factor as a prime ingredient, a little bit of misinformation over that, and you get the recipe for a potential disaster.

As for an Overlanding perspective, I travel mostly alone and my motto is "Plan ahead, help is not coming". Until the We before I prevail, the odds will not be in our favor.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Landlubber, these situations have been recorded through history and this is not a novelty. As an example; the Spaniards brought the flu to South America with disastrous consequences, then the Spaniards got infected by the Native American STD when they explored the North and we know how it goes...Look at the 2016 Anthrax outbreak in Siberia, we would have never known about it unless someone traveled there to report about it. The difference between now and then is that most pandemic died off locally or were not travelling far and fast enough to affect the global population. Nowadays, by the time we figure out that we have a pandemic on hands it is already too late, millions of people and goods have circled around the planet. Add an economic factor as a prime ingredient, a little bit of misinformation over that, and you get the recipe for a potential disaster.

As for an Overlanding perspective, I travel mostly alone and my motto is "Plan ahead, help is not coming". Until the We before I prevail, the odds will not be in our favor.
It's obvious you didn't understand my post or what I was talking about. No novelty for sure. I'm very aware of historical events and have posted the record on the forum dating back to 165 AD.

My point is this , This is a planned event meant to cause all the havoc it has with much more to come as well as many planned deaths. There are people who want to reduce the world population and when they cant get a raging War to take out millions, then they plan pandemics. You dont have to believe, just watch and see what happens.

Reactions: surfnturf

Steppenwolf_97

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Buchberg, Schweiz
First Name
Pascal
Last Name
Staub
Member #

I had to cancel nearly everything… The swiss tour, the northern Europe tour and the eastern europe tour i`ve planned… For me ist very sad `cause i`ve planned most of them over a year. I had to cancel the tours because switzerland closed the borders for nearly everyone just workers and Transports can cross. Also im currently in so called "vacation" and this cost me nearly all free days i have at work. So for me ist over for this year so i focus on car preparation and modyfing.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Millions could die from this? Where did you get that from?? Breathe my friend!!! It's all going to be fine!!

I am tracking numbers in the US. That was is most important to me (selfish, ya). We're tracking a 1.3% mortality rate with the new testing numbers starting to show. Remember this number is still driven by the Hotspots (NYC, LA, Miami, etc). My home state (like several others) there have been no deaths.

Let's all do what we must and stay safe. Please do not get caught up in the hype nor add to anyone's fear.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I'm doing my best to decouple from this issue. Even though I got mad about what the gov't is doing (I still don't like the way the gov't is handling everything) there's nothing an individual can do about it, and hey, it's too cold at this time to really get out. We'll see how things are next month.

Reactions: Road

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Millions could die from this? Where did you get that from?? Breathe my friend!!! It's all going to be fine!!

I am tracking numbers in the US. That was is most important to me (selfish, ya). We're tracking a 1.3% mortality rate with the new testing numbers starting to show. Remember this number is still driven by the Hotspots (NYC, LA, Miami, etc). My home state (like several others) there have been no deaths.

Let's all do what we must and stay safe. Please do not get caught up in the hype nor add to anyone's fear.
When I said millions I was referring to world wide deaths. There is not a lot that can be done except watch it creep into your community. Your in a hell hole as it is. You cant stick your head in the sand but you can do nothing to stop it, only slow it down temporarily IMO and pray I am wrong as I do.

JeeplanderMN

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Brooklyn Park, MN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Christiansen
Member #

Yep, Grand County, UT will no longer accept outside visitors (even for dispersed camping) for 30 days, ruined my Spring Break trip!

Going to try a local day run this weekend, but will see what else the experts restrict.
Mine too. Because of closures and more states going to "stay at home" policies, I am postponing my spring break trip with my son. We'll try and find some local short trips to do for now.

Reactions: JCarter

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

I'm no math major but if you use your own estimate of 1.3% mortality rate with the population of the USA in 2019 according to estimates= 329.6712 Million... and that is just using the US population.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The virrus can survive 48 hours on plastic so when you reach for the gas nozzle on the pump....
Even tho no one is in sight you could be bringing the virrus home.

When you key in your PIN at the ATM....
When you....

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I found the trails around here more busy.
Preppers coming out of the walls....city. One road near me had preppers strung out for 20 miles. No crowding, just a lot of them trying to be in a safer environment in my rural location. Our Federal lands, parks are open and we have a lot of them. State parks are closed as of a week ago.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The virrus can survive 48 hours on plastic so when you reach for the gas nozzle on the pump....
Even tho no one is in sight you could be bringing the virrus home.

When you key in your PIN at the ATM....
When you....
Could easily be bad news !

Reactions: Alain M